Throughout history the use of a spear and a shield was one of the most used weapon combinations. It was not only cheap, but also higly efficient. If it wasn't, then it wouldn't have been used for thousands of years.

Despite all that, the majority of computer games and Table Top RPGs that includes both shields and spears in the game, they always put in some stupid restriction or limitation that prevents this use of History's favourite.

This might be quite niche, but I would very much like it if Project Eternity is the first cRPG where I can fully employ this time honored fighting tradition to one of the characters.

• Like 13
ObsidianOrder_Viking_125px.png

If a spear is too big to wield in one hand isn't it really a pike or a lance at that point? Well lances are one-handed but while mounted.

I'd like to see the spear and shield combo myself.

Edited by Thulean

There's already a discussion about that topic over there: http://forums.obsidi...gs/page__st__20

But for your assumptions: spear+shield were popular in the ancient world and not in the middle ages - quite a big difference in tactics and technology. ;)

Oh.. The OP shouldn't have used the word "Rings"

As for the middle ages, while most spear and shield, were moved to the horseback and Longspears and polearms became increasingly popular, The spear and shield combination for light infantry still prevailed throughout the middle ages. It thrived best in Militias and the city guard/"police" though.

ObsidianOrder_Viking_125px.png

Actually spear and shield was used in shield walls and in personal combat during the middle ages. Swords were expensive and relatively few people had them.The spear remained the dominate weapon until firearms improved during the Renaissance.

' The vikings, for instance, although often portrayed with axe or sword in hand, were armed mostly with spears, as were their Anglo-Saxon, Irish, or continental contemporaries.'

https://en.wikipedia...ean_Middle_Ages ----yeah, I know, Wikipedia...

Eh, that copy-paste quote came out odd.

Edited by Thulean

Spears were popular for fighting on horseback because of their range, that's also right for the middle ages, I admit. And the city watch also used spears and halberds, but mostly not for real fighting but for deterrence and symbol of their stand.

I also admit that spears were used in the middle ages by poor peasants and landsknechts, but not very often by knights. A spear was a weapon for the poor because you only need a stick and a little iron point. And I think the companions in PE should be no poor peasants who couldn't buy not even a sword. And even if they fight with a spear they would certainly exchange it with a sword from a fallen enemy if they had the chance to do so. ;)

Vikings used spears as well but their greatest appearance in Europe was at the very beginning of the middle ages and not at the end. At the beginning of the middle ages armor techniques weren't as sophisticated as in the transition to the Renaissance and same is true for weapons techniques.

35167v4.jpg

Well... Didn't Obsidian say there's going to be a subrace of Elves that are technologically like in the Stone Age or something? (I forget.) Given different racial technological levels, I don't see why that would preclude spear and shield, maybe as a racial thing...

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

The spear and shield combo seems to me to be the arms of a soldier massed as part of a shield wall/phalanx/or other close infantry formation with like-minded armaments.

Different and probably not too practical for an individual adventurer.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The spear and shield combo seems to me to be the arms of a soldier massed as part of a shield wall/phalanx/or other close infantry formation with like-minded armaments.

Different and probably not too practical for an individual adventurer.

A spear will kill you just as dead as a sword. But with a spear you would probably have to rely more on the shield for defense, whereas a sword is useful for turning an attack. Probably why the Romans eventually bested the Greeks (that and sheer numbers).

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I totally agree with the Knott's thread. I hope the developers finally do justice to the spear and shield combo. Now that they're not tied to D&D rules and conventions it would be awesome to see this done right. I would also love the ability to throw a weapon like a spear at an opponent and be able to retrieve the item during or after the fight. High level magical spears could have the ability to magically return to the thrower. This would be a great advancement in this top down tactical game.

I seem to remember having spear and shield wielding characters in NWN2. It required the feat Monkey Grip (at least I think that was its name), which enabled you to wield two handed weapons single handed. I can't remember if you could actually dual wield spears though. I might have to reinstall that game again. I miss Storm of Zehir.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I seem to remember having spear and shield wielding characters in NWN2. It required the feat Monkey Grip (at least I think that was its name), which enabled you to wield two handed weapons single handed. I can't remember if you could actually dual wield spears though. I might have to reinstall that game again. I miss Storm of Zehir.

I tried that build on NWN2 but the animations they used were those of a slashing weapon. It was a bit...disconcerting. Why would you hack with a spear?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Just trying to whack them over the head? You can never knock too much sense into an orc.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I actually saw a video of a guy fighting with spear and sword. It was pretty cool. He would use the spear to keep the guy at bay until he was ready to attack or if the guy lowered his guard to knock the spear away. I hadn't thought of a spear as a depensive weapon until then.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Spear and a somewhat large shield was what the ordinary soldiers, line infantry,

used until gunpowder weapons made (wooden and leather) shields obsolete.

As long as it was mostly arrows from long range, a big shield would give you the best cover.

A longspear and a very large shield, ie hoplite or spartan style, would require training to be effective,

and so wasn't in use by except higher quality troops, whom would at medieval time mostly fight mounted.

Against cavalry charges long pikes were the best defense, halberds and other 2-handed hacking instruments

were also pretty good at that, and effective against armored opponents, (and useful at closer range). So When

troops of lesser training gave up the shields, they naturally went with one or the other of these.

Especially since both pikes and halberds and other pole arms were also pretty cheap to make.

Edited by Jarmo
  • Like 1

But lances are way heavier? I'm having a hard time seeing a character running on foot and fighting with a lance.

Isn't the lance specifically designed for Medieval Games? (Knight vs Knight on horses, for the amusement of the King)

^that is something I would love to see as a mini-game: "Impress the King!" xD

-edit-

additions

Edited by Osvir

Yeah you could dual-wield two handed weapons - I had a character dual-wielding halberds. :biggrin:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

A spear and shield combination is great in a tight formation, but not in a skirmish. In a skirmish most hoplites, for example, threw their spears and drew their swords. The rest of them dropped their shields and used their spear with two hands, which really makes it an extremely useful and versatile weapon.

I can't really see spear and shield work in an adventuring groups. It's just not the way that combination is used.

I dunno, for me I'd have no problem with the shield and spear combo.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It's fine if you can afford a sword. A lot of people can't. There's far more you can do with a spear than stand in a line and poke, if you have the training.

Was this comment directed to someone in particular?

I agree, spear is a great weapon, and I don't think most people even realize how versatile and sophisticated it really is - if you use it with two hands. With just one hand it loses a huge portion of its usefulness.