Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Would you like to see orchestral score as a stretch goal?

eternity music orchestral

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see orchestral score as a stretch goal? (190 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see orchestral score as a stretch goal?

1. No, I think that it doesn't deserve divertion of part of the money from other aspects of the game (92 votes [48.42%])

Percentage of vote: 48.42%

2. Yes, I think that orchestral score would enhance the experience in a substantial way, and spending part of the money this way is grounded (75 votes [39.47%])

Percentage of vote: 39.47%

3. I don't care (23 votes [12.11%])

Percentage of vote: 12.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
if the composer can make the music on his pc with the quality of an orchestral version (which he can as shown by the samples), then actual orchestras are just a luxury that we dont need

Vargr Raekr

Vargr Raekr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
You mean ... orchestration wasn't a core goal to begin with?

Posted Image

Arcanum just would not have been Aracnum without its string quartet. To be certain, some excellent work can be done with modern tools and a gifted composer, as the first two Fallout sountracks attest. But just try imagining the Star Wars opening crawl with a competent-but-obvious synthetic track rather than the London Symphony Orchestra. It just is not the same. That movie (A New Hope at least) was made on a shoestring budget, so I had always thought that hiring a few good, non-famous musicians - or even an orchestra - would not break the bank.

Even if they don't go with a full orchestra, live musicians seemed such an obvious route to take that I had just assumed that was what they had intended to do in the first place.

Edited by Vargr Raekr, 05 October 2012 - 12:03 PM.

• Waywocket and anek like this

Waywocket

Waywocket

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think the sound of a game is more important than the graphics, and can often be the most memorable feature. A major factor that helps define how much I enjoy a game is the quality of its soundtrack and ambient sound. I'm probably more likely to play a game based on how it sounds than on any other single factor.

A focus on the highest possible sound quality is therefore extremely important to me, so I'd be in favour of an orchestral recording so long as it doesn't come to more than a couple of hundred thousand.
  • Justin Bell likes this

anek

anek

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 170 posts

I was going to instantly click yes. But I paused and thought best not.

The cost would be too much and the money would be best used on other aspects of the game. Perhaps would be good for Eternity II though.

That's why there should have been a forth option in the poll: "Yes, but only as a high stretch-goal."
That way, it could help to actually bring more money into PE.

True_Spike

True_Spike

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I would sacrifice my firstborn for an orchestral score, but I'm afraid it would have to be a pretty huge stretch goal to make that dream come true.

el pinko grande

el pinko grande

Void-Touched Master of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:el pinko grande
  • Kickstarter Backer
I turn the music off in every video game I play. So I have no opinion about how they handle the music. They could compose the entire thing in MIDI and I wouldn't care.
  • ogrezilla likes this

Chunkyman

Chunkyman

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Music in a game is very important. It allows a mood to be set and gives you something nice to listen to when not engaged in fun actions. When music in a game is bad, it can ruin the mood of a scene and cause undo boredom when not doing something exciting. For instance, in TES games I spend huge amounts of time walking. Walking (in and of itself) is boring, but that boredom is offset by enjoying the very pleasant music. If instead I had to walk in silence (or with poor quality music), walking would be horribly boring and tedious.

Because of all this, I believe it would be worthwhile to add a stretchgoal for a real orchestra to perform the game's music.
  • Waywocket, Justin Bell and anek like this

anek

anek

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 170 posts

I turn the music off in every video game I play.

:blink:

ogrezilla

ogrezilla

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 883 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't dislike music or anything, but I almost always play in the same room where my wife is also doing stuff. So we both tend to turn off game music. And honestly, if I want music I'll usually listen to my own.

Edited by ogrezilla, 05 October 2012 - 03:27 PM.

Justin Bell

Justin Bell

Lead Audio Designer

• Developers
  • 394 posts
In terms of cost, the range can vary quite a bit. I did say in that one post that Orchestras can be prohibitively expensive, and they can. That said, there are some Orchestras in Europe and Russia (like gakmen suggested) that are less expensive and will still sound great.

I wonder though, what about just having some live musicians mixed with the sampled score? Small ensembles would definitely cost less and would still have a positive effect on the overall sound. That can add a lot to enhance expression and realism, in fact I did that on one of the campaign trailer tracks with some of the Horn parts... For those concerned about budget, what do you think of that as a solution?
  • Cantousent, nikolokolus, Ieo and 9 others like this

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3040 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Bugger orchestra's let's get Earth, Wind and Fire!

Tychoxi

Tychoxi

Sciscitator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm all for spending many, many, *many* monies on music, but I don't think I want the score to be "orchestral". So I voted "don't care", not that I actually lack care in the business hereby being discussed, but rather, 'tis the only option that happens to portray my feelings towards the aforementioned business in "closely enough" a fashion. Not to mention that it be Obsidian who shall decree if an Orchestra - be it of the kind that is manouvered in the dark or not - is the best fit for their misucal directions and needs.

Now, to get a few artists - say a string quartet plus oboe, tambourine and trumpet - and using them to wisely enhance the score sounds great.

Edited by Tychoxi, 05 October 2012 - 05:11 PM.

• eimatshya likes this

Ieo

Ieo

White Gazebo of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1410 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

In terms of cost, the range can vary quite a bit. I did say in that one post that Orchestras can be prohibitively expensive, and they can. That said, there are some Orchestras in Europe and Russia (like gakmen suggested) that are less expensive and will still sound great.

I wonder though, what about just having some live musicians mixed with the sampled score? Small ensembles would definitely cost less and would still have a positive effect on the overall sound. That can add a lot to enhance expression and realism, in fact I did that on one of the campaign trailer tracks with some of the Horn parts... For those concerned about budget, what do you think of that as a solution?

Hi Justin

I do appreciate you coming in here to answer particular concerns with your knowledge; rare accessibility on the creation side of things, much thanks. I think small live ensembles would be a great compromise--string quartets, whatever, soloist parts--music is significant in setting/amplifying mood and immersion, IMO. Even electric instruments don't sound right to me compared to acoustic, but that could just be me. (Just please ensure everyone is in-tune. ;)) If something like this can be added to a stretch in combination with something else, that'd be fantastic--I suspect people without musical training or considerable instrument appreciation would have no idea how this matters, though.
  • eimatshya and Indiphilo like this

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2582 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

I turn the music off in every video game I play. So I have no opinion about how they handle the music. They could compose the entire thing in MIDI and I wouldn't care.

I do that with a lot of games too. Dual monitors, one for playing games and the other to watch TV shows.

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2582 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

I already like your music so far and I like this suggestion. More choice is a good thing and may yield better reults. Make it so! :thumbsup:
  • Indiphilo likes this

Justin Bell

Justin Bell

Lead Audio Designer

• Developers
  • 394 posts
@jerf, how do you feel about expanding the reach of this pole to include a fourth option? Something along the lines of: Small ensembles and soloist recordings of live musicians please. Best of all worlds in terms of cost and quality.

Is that even possible? It's entirely up to you though, and if you feel it would dilute the spirit of your poll I certainly understand and respect that! :)
  • Indiphilo likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
Definitely do the main theme of the game with live musicians.

Doesn't have to be in that style, with that many people at an American University though ;), +1 to Eastern European probably cheaper and just as good.

But yeah I wouldn't mind a more minimalistic / intimate soundtrack personally. Small Ensembles and soloists for stuff like Percussion, Kantele, guitar, clarinet etc

I understand that Feargus sent you a kickstarter comment from the kickstarter Q&A

Question: Could you please ask Justin Bell to take a look at how music was implemented in the first Witcher game? I think that it was a brilliant example of combining "mystical", "ancient" and "emotive".
Feargus: I'll send you comment to him right now.

That's a good suggestion as it uses a more minimalistic approach to many tracks while still having a great effect when combined with the in-game ambient sounds.
  • Justin Bell, Indiphilo and Haerski like this

Freddo

Freddo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I agree with the question guy, The Witcher have an awesome soundtrack, one of the better soundtracks in the recent years for sure. Here are my favorites.
The Witcher - The Dike (Especially when the harp kicks in around 2:37 to the end)
The Witcher - Peaceful Moments
The Witcher - River of Life

Was a bit disappointed in the Witcher 2 soundtrack though, didn't really seem to have any of those calm memorable songs W1 have (which were made by Paweł Błaszczak who didn't work on W2). Vergen by Night was kinda nice though.

Edited by Freddo, 05 October 2012 - 07:51 PM.

• Justin Bell and Haerski like this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
The best Witcher 1 track IMO was in one of the extra modules ,the price of neutrality - the ambient track to that was amazing, but I can't find it anywhere.

The Witcher Soundtrack also doesn't include many of the best ambient tracks from the game either.

Edited by Sensuki, 05 October 2012 - 08:02 PM.

eimatshya

eimatshya

The Obsidian Order's Assigner of Ergativity

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yeah, I'd actually be more interested in seeing a small group of musicians perform the score. Having to work with such a restriction can lead to some very creative music. And honestly, many of the most memorable game scores for me have been minimalistic.

That said, I'm sure Obsidian knows what will work best for their game, so I look forward to enjoying whatever they decide to go with.

Edited by eimatshya, 05 October 2012 - 09:20 PM.

• Justin Bell and Indiphilo like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eternity, music, orchestral

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users