Dyrwood - how is it pronounced?

'Direwood', 'Dihrwood' or 'Deerwood'?

I've been pronouncing it 'Deerwood'? If there was an 'e' after the 'r' I would've immediately pronounced it 'Direwood". But without it, I instinctively pronounced it 'Deerwood'. 'Dihrwood' was another way I just thought of as I was creating this topic. :p

I'm unhappy with Direwood and want to avoid Deerwood. To give that y a weird vowel shift from American English appeals to me. Perhaps some theft from Welsh to make it something like:

Durwod or Durwold

Even Durwood would work.

Edit: Dürwood is pretty close to what I was advocating.

Edited by Qilapid

Anybody here speak Gaelic? They would probably be able to make a good guess.

My own guess is like the 'ir' in dirge.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It is pronounced Deerwood.

Please say there are evil deer with human hands who will break our legs and lick us for the vital sugar in our bodies.

I'm seeing herds of feral unicorns... stalking their prey through the dark and dense forests... corralling their prey into a dead end and then impaling them with their horns in a glorious bloodbath of frenzied butchery, so they can feast on the bodies of their prey afterwards, crunching bones, sucking out marrow, tearing at muscle and sinew with their fangs...

Maybe I just got too much imagination :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Solemnly, sonorously. Nasally. As if you're at a funeral with a cold in your nose.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

It is pronounced Deerwood.

Dyr

Tyr

I geddit.

Although I would have said Direwood at first glance as well, being aussie and all.

That would probably come out as DYAWOOD though haha

Edited by Sensuki