The Dwarf ranger is a companion!?!?!?

The guy is covered in TNO style tattoos and he's an old geezer to boot. I suspect much spiritual... stuff in amongst the ass-kicking.

Do you see that black vapour swirling around the undead.... are those their vile, diseased souls.....

sonsofgygax.JPG

I like the role that monks play in games. What I don't like is the way they end up being generically Asian. Monks are Asian, and nunchucks are Asian, therefore monks use nunchuks. It's really off-putting for me.

I assume because if you think about occidental fighting monks you should end up with the Knight Templars.

I always sort of wanted to see a fantasy world embrace a monk like the Knights Hospitaller. Those are the monastic warriors I'd want in my party.

They have the bonus of being sworn to protect travellers to a holy place, which could make for interesting quests if that were the player class.

Edited by Qilapid

Martial arts could be developed in PE by people retiring themselves into monasteries while searching for enlightment and seeking perfection or mumbo jumbo.

A PE nation may develop a code like "Bushido" without actually using japanese gear, sticking to longswords, chainmail/platemail and stuff more common to us.

I always sort of wanted to see a fantasy world embrace a monk like the Knights Hospitaller. Those are the monastic warriors I'd want in my party.

They have the bonus of being sworn to protect travellers to a holy place, which could make for interesting quests if that were the player class.

But 'mechanically' how would they be different from a standard warrior?

I liked Diablo 3's approach to the monk where they weren't a bunch of bald Liu Kangs Bicycle-kicking their way to the Boss. They had buffing auras, and healing techniques, and spiritual powers that made them more than just a fighter who doesn't use weapons (What D&D based games have unintentionally turned them into). I would personally like if the Monk was another defensive class in the game. I mean everyone here HAS to have a healer in the party if they want to survive any setting higher than normal, and making the Monk a defensive, Tanky bruiser with the ability to buff surrounding allies and maybe even heal, not everyone has to waste a companion slot on a Priest who, despite how open the game is to how you play it, wont be dealing out loads of damage. They will cast Bless, they will Cast Cure minor/moderate/serious wounds, they will smite undead, everything else will smite them dead. Thats my thought process though. Lets see where P:E takes these classes. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they worked differently than they do in most class based games.

Never liked monks in classical fantasy, I'll admit.

Agreed, monks should tend gardens and wear habits. Kung-fu monks just do not fit that `late medieval feel´ but I am sure someone likes it, probably the same people that want samurai and ninjas.

I'm sorry, what's wrong with classes that are based on far east cultures in high fantasy medieval games? These are whole new worlds with new cultures, some obviously expies of real kingdoms and countries. If they want to add a Japan expy with samurai-like and ninja-like stuff that can fit into warrior and rouge classes respectively, then they can do it.

As for monks, Europe and the middle east had their own warrior monks as well. Hell, Templars were a monastic order.

People need to quit with their euro centric view of things.

Edited by NKKKK
  • Like 3

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

I'm sorry, what's wrong with classes that are based on far east cultures in high fantasy medieval games?

The answer is in the question.

I want continuity and I would prefer european medieval fantasy that does not include eclectic parts of overused asian stereotypes.

• Like 1

But 'mechanically' how would they be different from a standard warrior?

They could have buffs, bonuses, and spells for protecting others, especially the unarmed. Pathfinding as well would presumably be something they were good at since they protect travel and travelers. So, if you're trying to find some mystically hidden cave, a fighter or barbarian is useless, but a Knight Hospitaller isn't.

That being said, the monks don't have to be locked into either West or East or even some Shamanistic warrior. It would stand to reason from the big Kickstarter posts that all those types would be valid monk classes, depending on their place of origin and god worshipped. Or at least I would hope so.

I'm sorry, what's wrong with classes that are based on far east cultures in high fantasy medieval games?

The answer is in the question.

I want continuity and I would prefer european medieval fantasy that does not include eclectic parts of overused asian stereotypes.

How does an euro centric view equal to "continuity". Hell. with your logic all medieval RPGs are stereotypes.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Yeah, more so with there whole soul thing, the idea of a monk just fits it to well if you ask me. Though I can say with 100% certainty I want that damn Barbarian class in so I pray that stretch makes it. Though that's a good 400k off heh.

Def Con: kills owls dead

just because the monk fights doesn't mean its asian themed...i think its more likely going to be a hermetic order centered around the contemplation of the gods/souls and how that power manifests in the body.

either waaaay lalalalalalala i can't hear your negativity 'cuz psionics will be in the game yeah!!!!!!

How does an euro centric view equal to "continuity". Hell. with your logic all medieval RPGs are stereotypes.

Continuity, nothing in the game so far is Asian, it all has European, specifically Celtic origins.

Edit - As above stated, all traditional high fantasy is based off European myths and legends.

Edited by Aedelric

Hahaha I didn't realize there was a pants on wizards faction...I remember the opposite being the complaint in NWN (no robes for wizards)

Of course there is... I'm all for wielding awesome arcane power without having to run around around in some silly colourful dress =P

I feel the silly colorful dress wearing mage should somehow be more effective though. "I am so badass you will die before you can lay a hand on me... I don't need armor"