How to shape our "soul" in game?

I hope that our soul is not just a mere plotdevice and that it has a significant impact on gameplay mechanics. I think it has potential to offer a complete unique gaming experince. The perspective our devs have i hope is more on line with P:T and MotB.

My thoughts about a "Soul" progression starts with "Soul Aspects" and a "Soul Map"

Like this there

2w5iv4j.png

could be beacons to show you on which path your soul is wandering. Imagine this,

• You start at the center of the "Journey" your soul takes
  • Your actions, how you treat, talk to other NPC's in regard of those aspects will move your soul in the related areas.
  • How near your soul moves to those aspects will grant your character bonuses even extra attributes. (Each aspect should reward you in some way)
  • The NPC's would probably react to your "soul" some positive , some negative . It would depend on the NPC's character

The downside is, this kind of a system renders alignment selection obselete, since you are determining who you are through your actions.

Is this kind of a system a good idea? Would you like to see something like this? If yes, what Aspects and bonuses would you like to see?

• Like 2

I think it's reasonable to assume that souls are going to be part of the game narrative which hasn't yet been revealed or proabably even written yet. I trust MCA to come up with his own ideas on the subject.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I'm thinking that you can have more than one soul aspect as long as they're not opposed (e.g: you can be calm and selfish). I think it should be organized for optimal usage, as in having negative aspects bundled together, adjacent to them there should be neutral aspects and opposite the virtues. That way both virtuous and wicked can use temperament aspects that don't define them in a moral sense.

Other than that it should have more "random" aspects to account for irrational personalities.

Or you could separate and combine aspects to form a single bubble (e.g: calm and angry are tied in the same bubble as a ying and yang)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Like the comment by Josh Sawyer on XP4T in regards to the souls. It seems like it is focused as a plot device, would also like it to have impact in how you play. I see what Radres pointed out could be done with the soul system but feel that it makes someone have to play a certain way to achieve bonuses

http://www.xp4t.com/2012/10/03/project-eternity/

XP4T: Souls as the source of magic, and energy. Is it far out to imagine pits of humans thrown together in order to harvest their energy for dark purposes?

Josh Sawyer: No, it isn’t too far out! That’s actually something we like about the soul concept. It lends itself to interesting ideas of how societies might function based on the reality of souls being a source of power. One idea we’ve discussed is the idea of a culture where those in power control the economic environment of the populace to such an extent that people literally sell their souls (in a fashion) to free themselves or their families from crippling debt.

Edited by Ran2Chaos

The organisation of the soul aspects probably should be differently alligned, i just put them so in order to express my idea. I think this kind of a thing, if well implemented could offer interesting choices.

Souls being a source of power sounds interesting. i'm wondering what will we hear from the devs on this matter in the upcoming updates.

Anything that "renders alignment selection obselete" is already a huge improvement over D&D, but I really, really don't want the game making inane guesses on why I do the things I do the way I do them. There is just no way it will ever understand how I might have a perfectly altruistic reason for doing something that seems selfish, or that I might be pretending to be angry or that my generosity might just be an act to help me get to the big loot.

So please, please, please don't let me be judged by a machine.

• Like 3

It really does sound like an attempt to reinvent alignment, when alignment's not all that great an idea to begin with. It's not just the implementation of alignment that's a problem, it's this systematic labeling and judgement of player characters that is.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

While I can appreciate the idea of augmenting the soul somehow as a game mechanic based on "circumstance" or "action" and other factors or through various stimuli . . . I do not see turning it into an alignment/morality system as the right approach.

• Like 1

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

While I can appreciate the idea of augmenting the soul somehow as a game mechanic based on "circumstance" or "action" and other factors or through various stimuli . . . I do not see turning it into an alignment/morality system as the right approach.

I too see it as simply 'augmenting' the characters range of ability/knowledge/"power".