Update #15: PayPal, Polish and Russian support, $2.5M/$2.6M stretch goals, new reddit Q&A, classes, and art!

Good update, but I have one question. Forgive a tenuous extrapolation from one background picture (worst thing ever to base anything on), but you're not gonna make a zombie-heavy game right?

What I mean is, you've mentioned that you want heavy emphasis on death and souls, and your concept art is filled with what looks like an army zombies.

It makes me balk because, quite frankly, I'm fed up with effing zombies by now. I am guessing that you don't want to make a game with "only zombies" in any case, but please don't make 50/40/30% of the plot critical combat events/areas about zombie killing either.

Everything else is looking good :) I love your "make your own companion" idea. There's always some jerk you don't want to travel with, and it's great to have the option to give him/her a big fat middle finger ;) I usually love your characters and their interaction though, so I doubt I'd use it more than once.

I'd be happy if my mage isn't forced to wear some goofy assed robe. ...And that means I don't want all of the good mage gear to be robes and conical hats. I hate them with a passion unknown by mortal men.

No worries, you will be able to craft/enchant anything up to legendary levels.

The conical hats look much, much goofier than the robes... the conical hats make him look like he's a mental patient walking around in his pajamas.

I say they give us the option to craft conical tin foil caps. Let the farce come full circle. I want to have 'Cant's Conical Tin Foil Hat of Cerebral Powah.'

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I say they give us the option to craft conical tin foil caps. Let the farce come full circle. I want to have 'Cant's Conical Tin Foil Hat of Cerebral Powah.'

Done. Well at a minimum you will be able to take an existing conical hat and dial it up to 11. From update 13:

Whether it's brewing basic potions from herbs and minerals commonly found throughout the world or upgrading a humble broadsword into a custom-named, magically-imbued weapon of distinctive and legendary power, we want to give players the ability to make it.

As an aside, that makes me wonder if that gives us a peek into where they plan to go level wise. I mean, you wouldnt be able to craft/enchant legendary weapons if the game ends with you at level 10 (ala BG1), right?

Hot damn, I thought you were just giving me a hard time, Gfted. That's awesome news. I think the ability to create the look I want will really help me enjoy the game. I'm usually not so picky, but I've always viewed my mages as looking more like Star Wars style jedi. Don't get me wrong, Gandalf beats beats Darth Vader hands down, but Vader is much more stylin'. I don't mind loose robes a little, but full length heavy robes adorned with stars and moons and clovers and other crap just doesn't make sense for someone traveling long dusty roads.

EDIT: If we get away from level inflation, then it's easy to conceive of a legendary sword for a level five character. Low level adventures can still be fun and quite epic.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Don't get me wrong, Gandalf beats beats Darth Vader hands down, but Vader is much more stylin'. I don't mind loose robes a little, but full length heavy robes adorned with stars and moons and clovers and other crap just doesn't make sense for someone traveling long dusty roads.

For some reason, this put the image of Vader wearing a purple stars/moons/clovers robe and hat into my head. Thanks a lot. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hot damn, I thought you were just giving me a hard time, Gfted. That's awesome news. I think the ability to create the look I want will really help me enjoy the game. I'm usually not so picky, but I've always viewed my mages as looking more like Star Wars style jedi. Don't get me wrong, Gandalf beats beats Darth Vader hands down, but Vader is much more stylin'. I don't mind loose robes a little, but full length heavy robes adorned with stars and moons and clovers and other crap just doesn't make sense for someone traveling long dusty roads.

EDIT: If we get away from level inflation, then it's easy to conceive of a legendary sword for a level five character. Low level adventures can still be fun and quite epic.

Hard time? Words hurt Cant.

:p

Words are all we have on a message board, my gifted friend. :Cant's guffawing icon:

Anyhow, I'm soooo stoked that we're going forward. As I understand it, the paypal funds aren't counted on the kickstarter PE frontpage. Is there any way to see the aggregate number?

Obsidian Plays

I'd be happy if my mage isn't forced to wear some goofy assed robe. ...And that means I don't want all of the good mage gear to be robes and conical hats. I hate them with a passion unknown by mortal men.

I'd like to suggest that catering to all posted goofy niche interests and parochial whims be made the $10 M stretch goal. With options to turn them on or off, of course.

:bow:

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Been following this game since I first heard about the Kickstarter, but hell's bells, this update has finally convinced me I need to pledge instead of just waiting for the full version. I utterly love what's being done with class design - as much fun as I had with the Baldur's Gate games, not truly being able to make the kind of warrior I wanted never quite felt right. Can't wait to make the kind of agile fighter I've always wanted.

Also: love the art. There's a lot of personality in those characters, and I can't wait to face off against that tentacled thing. ^_^ And thank you, thank you, thank you for not putting the female characters in ridiculous 'armor'. As much as I like WoW, I just can't take battle bikinis seriously. The woman with the rifle looks well-protected, as she should, and the ranger's garb looks appropriate for her class. Again, thank you for not going that route.

• Like 2

I'm very worried about the Adventurer's Hall. :S Do the custom parties that it implies mean there will be few random, generic and silent companions who never react to your actions ? I understand that mercenaries have to be professional, but I hope even them have an opinion or principles.

I like old role playing games, but I've always thought that the silent companions/followers were a default quite important, even in the brilliant Planescape : Torment.

Please, tell me I am misunderstanding and the role play direction is also applied to the parties from the Adventurer's Hall. ^^

I'm very worried about the Adventurer's Hall. :S Do the custom parties that it implies mean there will be few random, generic and silent companions who never react to your actions ? I understand that mercenaries have to be professional, but I hope even them have an opinion or principles.

I like old role playing games, but I've always thought that the silent companions/followers were a default quite important, even in the brilliant Planescape : Torment.

Please, tell me I am misunderstanding and the role play direction is also applied to the parties from the Adventurer's Hall. ^^

You are misunderstanding, they are putting in this feature for people who dont want to use the regular companions that they write. You will be able to use the regular party npcs ala Baldurs Gate series who have backstorys and personality. Or make your own dudes to replace em.

That still doesn't tell me if "my own dudes" will be simple bots or people with specific traits like the "regular companions". ^^ But you're right : as long as there are these characters with backstory and personality, that's fine to me.

Edited by Nanoloque

That still doesn't tell me if "my own dudes" will be simple bots or people with specific traits like the "regular companions". ^^ But you're right : as long as there are these characters with backstory and personality, that's fine to me.

Regular companions will be like companions in BG2/PS:T with their own backstories, etc. The adventurers Hall will make it possible to create your own custom companions. These ones will not have any story, but you can add the classes you wish to have. Myabe you want an all melee party? That's possible with the AH.

Just curious if anyone knows: do the paypal donations automatically get added to the kickstarter numbers? Or do we wait until the KS ends before Obsidian tells us what the total is or does the paypal continue after KS ends?

Please note that pledges made through PayPal will not show up on our Kickstarter page, though we will count them toward stretch goals at the end of the campaign.

:biggrin:

I'm not personally interested in those two new classes, but having more variety is always a good thing. I do really love the idea of the adventurers hall. I was a little disappointed when they stated the companions would be 100% pre-set, so this is a great compromise, although I'd still have liked the customisable companions to have some personality/storylines.