Update #15: PayPal, Polish and Russian support, $2.5M/$2.6M stretch goals, new reddit Q&A, classes, and art!

Making sense in the setting or not, If you start handing out magical powers to everyone there's a very thin line before you cross over to DragonballZ.

Instead of making high level Fighters and Rogues comically powerful, I would rather tone down the high level spellcasters and the potency and abundancy of magic. That would be a refreshing take after all the 'awesome' anime RPG's where magic equals spamming nonstop fireworks.

And Rogues using magic items is entirely different from Rogues being innately magical and using spell-like powers.

being able to endure pain, recover quicker from wounds and make attacks more devastating through sheer will power (aka soul power) is in no way shape or form even remotely close to Dragon Ball Z...that's a terrible comparison and you should feel bad for making it :disguise:

and have you ever heard of Shadow Dancers? or a multitude of other high level rogue abilities? if those don't count as quasi-magical i can't conceive of your rationale for them.

Shadowdancer is a PrC I don't have to take for my Rogue.

Multiclassing into a Wizard or Shadowdancer in order to learn some magical tricks is fine. Turning a martial base class into a spellcaster by default is not.

Zooming in reveals the Monk's fists are on fire. o.O

We have so many of these superhero "awesome" RPG's these days. I would like a Game of Thrones kind of down to earth and believable world for a change. Less is more.

Edited by 1varangian
  • Like 1

f54f8a4237bb46103ff831e7089e2c95_large.jpg

At $2.6M, we will add an Adventurer's Hall to the world. In the Free Palatinate of Dyrwood, adventurers and mercenaries from across the world are often employed as personal bodyguards, elite security, or salvage (plunder) teams that venture into the forgotten corners of Eír Glanfath. A lot of the folks who hang out as such places are robbers and miscreants, but reliable agents can be found and employed with a bit of patience.

What does this mean for you? It means that if you don't like a companion, or if you don't like any of our companions, you won't be cut off from having characters of their classes. Over time, you can build your own custom parties to play through the game. If you want a party of monks or all casters, this gives you the ability to do it within the game while still maintaining the pacing of the standard PC + companions play style.

I thought it was some Urban Legend but no : Obsidian's folks really read their forum :w00t:

Awesome :bow:

Careful what you wish ...

oooelogo180.png ... you just might get it

As soon as I heard cipher in the video I immediately thought the spelling would be Psypher or something like that as it is the "psy" that relates to the mind.

Cipher is a cleric sitting in an office doing Admin, though paperwork can sometimes instigate brain death.

You mean clerk?

As soon as I heard cipher in the video I immediately thought the spelling would be Psypher or something like that as it is the "psy" that relates to the mind.

Cipher is a cleric sitting in an office doing Admin, though paperwork can sometimes instigate brain death.

cipher or cypher (ˈsaɪfə) — n 1. a method of secret writing using substitution or transpositionof letters according to a key 2. a secret message 3. the key to a secret message

Barbarian:

• of or relating to a land, culture, or people alien and usually believed to be inferior to another land, culture or people.
  • lacking refinement, learning, or atistic or literature culture.
  • extremely brutal.
  • primitive and uncivilized.
  • stranger/enemy.
  • a foreigner.

Paladin:

• a paragon of chivalry, a heroic champion.
  • a strong supporter or defender of a noble cause.
  • a trusted military leader.
  • a leading champion of a cause.

:dancing:

We have so many of these superhero "awesome" RPG's these days. I would like a Game of Thrones kind of down to earth and believable world for a change. Less is more.

that would be cool. An RPG where magic and monsters are very rare and most educated people might not even believe in them.

Actually, I thought that was a "manifestation of the soul" of some kind. If you look around the group, the same glow is around their feet, from the wizard's hand, emanating from Cadegund's chestpiece symbol. I think it's more of an artistic stylization at this point since we don't know the exact soul mechanics.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

The comments about the Russian distribution are interesting. I hope Obsidian looks into some of those problems.

It wasn't only Russian, it's same situation for other Eastern European countries. I really hope Obsidian does not dismiss this issue and there is some clarification on who is doing translations and/or if we'll have content available through other channels than them.

My only assumption is if there's already some kind of agreement in place just by virtue of announcing in Kickstarter, judging by the wording: "And, for our Polish- and Russian-speaking fans - we are very happy to announce that distributors in Poland and Russia will be handling localization for these two languages, so we will be able to provide them without requiring a stretch goal!" ---so even if they'd like to change, they probably wouldn't be able to...

That is possible. It's why I'd prefer to know for sure. If it's part of an exclusive deal with 1C/Cenega, akin to what Bethesda did with FO:NV/Skyrim (=region lock on Steam, likely to affect any content down the road), I'd rather know. This would enable me to make an informed decision as to keeping/adjusting my own pledge and a recommendation to those friends who are likely to wait for a localised, boxed version.

Dodgy answer from Feargus on today's Kickstarter Q&A, courtesy of Ink Blot:

Question: Hey, got a concern for you from the Russians from last night. Apparently 1C/Cenega have exclusive distribution deals with Bethesda. The folks over in Eastern Europe paid full price on Steam for various games, FO:NV, Skyrim, RAGE, etc. and got locked into the localized version only. The localized version was not compatible with any of the downloaded content and was lacking in other ways. They are VERY concerned about maintaining access to the original version of Project Eternity and not being locked into -just- the Russian version.

To sum up, Arteziya asks:

"So I repeat - please, could you answer - would backers from Russia (and Poland, though I don't know details of their situation, but doubt that their distributors behave themselves better then ours) would have an access to original version, or do you lock us to our regional?"

Feargus: We will make sure that the people we team up with do a good job. And, we've heard a lot of things about 1C now that will make us really ask them a lot of questions and require a lot from them - if we were to work with them. Not saying that we are working with them.

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 4

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

It's good to see that Feargus is aware of the issues with local publishers, gamers shouldn't be locked into a localized version only when using Steam. I can only image not being able get anything but the base game working for something like FO:NV with its many DLC packs.

P.S. Since PE will be distributed DRM-free as well, how would that affect the Russian and Polish localizations? Will the publishers add the localizations to those versions as well, or just the Steam version? It doesn't affect me, Finland doesn't do localizations, but it'd be a bummer for gamers who wanted to get PE DRM-free and localized.

Edited by Archmage Silver

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

The Rogue is sounding more and more appealing. even though that's all I ever seem to play lol.

Rogues are secretly the most OP class in most games...its just that people don't know how to play them right.

I must admit though, I may cheat on my favorite class this time if Ciphers get implemented.

also, I was joking about Cadegund's armor...I actually found it silly that people made such a huge fuss over NOTHING. I swear the outrage over a chest bulge often leads me to believe people have a problem with women looking like women.

Woops.... sorry. :facepalm:

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

Guest Scotty

I am a 65 buck pledger, I will still love the game but I can't say I am happy at all about the "classes". Why even have "classes" if you can just powergame your character into anything you want without restrictions or sacrifice? Should have just gone the Fallout special route instead of these pretend classes. Wizards in platemail? Ugh.

If there wasn't going to be a drawback or two for wearing armor, then there would be no point in having robes for wizards. Obsidian is pretty much set to have some drawbacks for casters wearing armor, probably including the investment of skill points into armor instead of something else.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

I'd be happy if my mage isn't forced to wear some goofy assed robe. ...And that means I don't want all of the good mage gear to be robes and conical hats. I hate them with a passion unknown by mortal men.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Can I just say how awesome that artwork is? Got it as my wallpaper now, please keep 'em coming!

I love the little details in it, like the zombie grabbing the priest's skirt, the arrows sticking out of the tentacle monster (and the ranger pointing towards it), and that zombie getting smashed in the face with the shield... who seems to be wearing a thong??

<snip>

Dodgy answer from Feargus on today's Kickstarter Q&A, courtesy of Ink Blot:

<snip>

To sum up, Arteziya asks:

"So I repeat - please, could you answer - would backers from Russia (and Poland, though I don't know details of their situation, but doubt that their distributors behave themselves better then ours) would have an access to original version, or do you lock us to our regional?"

Feargus: We will make sure that the people we team up with do a good job. And, we've heard a lot of things about 1C now that will make us really ask them a lot of questions and require a lot from them - if we were to work with them. Not saying that we are working with them.

Thanks for the info :). Yeah, unfortunately that is rather noncomittal (no assurance that at least English content would be worldwide w/o exclusion). Guess it's ask one last time via PM/here, wait and hope some further clarification will be made before Kickstarter deadline. In the end, it's just another business decision, so I can live with whatever Obsidian/distributors hammer between themselves. I won't back those decisions with my wallet blindly, but I'm hoping further clarification will be made same as on DRM (which is now A-ok).

EDIT: Got some further clarification from Feargus on the Kickstarter comments thread:

Q: Could you clarify what is your general stance for regional locks on content ? Will Obsidian do what it can to make sure that we (backers from other parts of the world - Poland/Russia) have unrestricted access to English-only versions of (possible) further content (DLC/expansions etc.) at least ?

I realise things like these can change a lot down the line (e.g. business takeover, debts, whatever), but it would help immensely with pitching PE to friends and still having a clear conscience.

A: On the subject of regional locks - I don't think we plan on doing that unless there is some law that would require us to do so.

Cautiously optimistic in that case (even with my level of Insanity/Paranoia) ;P

Edited by Karnelian
  • Like 1

I'd be happy if my mage isn't forced to wear some goofy assed robe. ...And that means I don't want all of the good mage gear to be robes and conical hats. I hate them with a passion unknown by mortal men.

No worries, you will be able to craft/enchant anything up to legendary levels.

The conical hats look much, much goofier than the robes.

The robes make your mage look like he's walking around in his pajamas, the conical hats make him look like he's a mental patient walking around in his pajamas.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)