Update #15: PayPal, Polish and Russian support, $2.5M/$2.6M stretch goals, new reddit Q&A, classes, and art!

Yeah, that's the biggest complaint about alignment in DnD, Chaos. Like I said, I have my own beefs, but the fact that motivations don't factor into the mix is a major deficiency.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

http://www.eurogamer...14-release-date

"While there are social concepts of good and evil," he added, "the game does not track an alignment for the player. Instead we will use a reputation system to keep track of what different groups in the world think of you. Consequences of your actions will matter in Project Eternity."

That said, I don't know why I saw karma meter in FONV especially when the rep system worked quite nicely. By reading Sawyers' posts, I thought he would be going to this direction but it took years to realize. Alpha Protocol didn't have alignment, though.

Huh. Well I guess thats that.

Yeah, I'm an atheist but my favorite class to play is paladin, go figure.

I'd like to see a paladin stretch goal!

I chuckled when I saw this. I'm a Catholic, but I like to play sober fast talking mages. lol When I was in junior high and high school, one of my friends' parents (a hard charging holy roller) told me I'd go to hell if I played DnD. I don't think that attitude is prevalent today, but it sure as hell was a lot more common back in the day.

I come from a Catholic family and my mom wasn't QUITE there (I played at friends houses who had parents or grandparents who DID and would preach at us!), but she did say she worried I'd get in with a bad crowd. I kept pointing to the knight with the holy symbol killing the demons and said "but mom I'm playing a saint!" to try and ease her mind. :)

In a fantasy setting I think clerics, paladins and gods are fascinating. I love Greek myths... I don't let my personal real-world view, for example, make me unable to enjoy Dragonlance and find Fizban a fun character.

New Vegas had Karma because it is part and parcel of the Fallout universe. I don't think it's necessary, but it was probably easier to put it in than take it out in terms of dealing with the fanbase.

Yeah, I guess but, I just simply thought: "Hey, now they have a pretty good alternative, which fit their way of crafting the world."

I, myself, read my share of sweetened versions of Greek mythologies in my childhood but, I began to recognize them as "literature" when I began to read more cruel aspects of them. By that time, D&D couldn't have already held such themes anymore... Just simply, like that.

Edited by Wombat

I love Greek Mythology, of course. I have somewhat of a history with them, and not just because I'm old enough to have been around at the time. lol I think the way they manage to build up the world's mythology, philosophy, and political organizations will be fascinating.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

This game can't have atheists because gods and deities have already been proven and seen. The whole point of atheism is that there is no tangible evidence of the existence of god, but in this game where clerics and priests of God X and Y are rampantly doing and performing miracles, atheism is just plain stupid. It should be more of like "non-follower".

Awesome update on the stretch goals guys.

"Excellent update, what you guys are doing is amazing.

One thing I beg you for though; please please please include atheist and anti-theist spheres for priests, monks and druids.

Not as a fallen dark character either but as a paragon or noble character.

It would be so very awesome if you could include this."

Nah. The people in this world know gods exist and priests and priest magic is likely linked to gods so to have an athiest priest just doesn't make sense. if you want a non worshipping spellcaster take mage.

It doesn't make sense at all to have an Athiest priest. I repeat ATHIEST PRIEST does not make sense. Obsidian would have to be loco to include ATHIEST PRIEST that have their ATHIEST spells. It's beyond illogical.

It's one thing to be an athiest in the real world since there is no direct proof a diety exist. But, even in the real world, there is no such thing as an ATHIEST PRIEST. Which makes sense since priests, by defintion, are RELKIGIOUS leaders and cannot be athiest yet you want to have an ATHIEST PRIEST cast PRIEST spells.

It just doesn't make sense.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This game can't have atheists because gods and deities have already been proven and seen. The whole point of atheism is that there is no tangible evidence of the existence of god, but in this game where clerics and priests of God X and Y are rampantly doing and performing miracles, atheism is just plain stupid. It should be more of like "non-follower".

Awesome update on the stretch goals guys.

Well, it could have atheist warriors or rogues, but I believe the original request somewhere in this thread was for 'atheist priests'--which, yes, don't make sense in PE.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

"Excellent update, what you guys are doing is amazing.

One thing I beg you for though; please please please include atheist and anti-theist spheres for priests, monks and druids.

Not as a fallen dark character either but as a paragon or noble character.

It would be so very awesome if you could include this."

Nah. The people in this world know gods exist and priests and priest magic is likely linked to gods so to have an athiest priest just doesn't make sense. if you want a non worshipping spellcaster take mage.

It doesn't make sense at all to have an Athiest priest. I repeat ATHIEST PRIEST does not make sense. Obsidian would have to be loco to include ATHIEST PRIEST that have their ATHIEST spells. It's beyond illogical.

It's one thing to be an athiest in the real world since there is no direct proof a diety exist. But, even in the real world, there is no such thing as an ATHIEST PRIEST. Which makes sense since priests, by defintion, are RELKIGIOUS leaders and cannot be athiest yet you want to have an ATHIEST PRIEST cast PRIEST spells.

It just doesn't make sense.

Oh you stripped out that it was me you where quoting.

Never mind.

Before I respond to any thing else I feel its worth noting that a mage really isn't a preist without belief in a god.

A preist fills a separate roll in a party to a mage.

Im afraid I dont follow your logic that "an atheist preist does not make sense because an atheist preist does not make sense".

That is a tautology. Caps dont really do much to help make your poiint either.

I would love to know the reason it doesn't make sense.

I trust though from the focus on preist you agree atheist monks and ruids at least make sense. So I appreciate that.

As for why I think it does make sense:

The game designers have indicated that the souls themselves play an active roll in the game universe.

The description of the preist class included this statement:

" here are ranks of dedicated adventuring or mercenary priests who have turned the flame of their faith into a spark to ignite the power of their souls. Such men and women have found a divine link to their chosen deity, but their abilities stem solely from within."

So they have clearly indicated that a preist's spells are examples of the preist's power not of their chosen ethos.

Thus an atheist preist could be described as someone who has turned the flame of their faith in humanity (elfanity? Dwarfanity? whatever) or themself or the rejection of the need for gods into a spark to ignite the power of their souls.

See fits perfectly fine.

As for it being illogical I have been told that in this world god exists, and his presents is self evident and not to belief is illogical... Yet they still exist in our world. Why would this fanasty setting be any less rich on this subject.

Especially considering one of the reasons the developers wanted to use kick starter was so they could explorer mature themes.

Pretty sure discussions about the existance of super powerful intervening pregenitors and if those pregenitors exist have rights on the ownership of mortals firmly falls in the category of mature conversations regardless your view on the answer.

So to repeat myself, stating a blind assertion in caps doesn't prove your point. Nor do tautologies also if you dont want to play an atheist priest then well dont.

peace out

Edited by choasrepeated

The game designers have indicated that the souls themselves play an active roll in the game universe.

The description of the preist class included this statement:

" here are ranks of dedicated adventuring or mercenary priests who have turned the flame of their faith into a spark to ignite the power of their souls. Such men and women have found a divine link to their chosen deity, but their abilities stem solely from within."

So they have clearly indicated that a preist's spells are examples of the preist's power not of their chosen ethos.

Thus an atheist preist could be described as someone who has turned the flame of their faith in humanity (elfanity? Dwarfanity? whatever) or themself or the rejection of the need for gods into a spark to ignite the power of their souls.

See fits perfectly fine.

As for it being illogical I have been told that in this world god exists, and his presents is self evident and not to belief is illogical... Yet they still exist in our world. Why would this fanasty setting be any less rich on this subject.

Especially considering one of the reasons the developers wanted to use kick starter was so they could explorer mature themes.

Pretty sure discussions about the existance of super powerful intervening pregenitors and if those pregenitors exist have rights on the ownership of mortals firmly falls in the category of mature conversations regardless your view on the answer.

Hmm, well. I suppose there's plenty of room for this interpretation, since it's not like Obsidian explicitly specified "faith in WHAT":

However, some priests get by on pure faith alone, having little knowledge of the world around them. Such battle priests often lean more heavily on their athletic abilities when they are in the field.

Between priests and monks (dunno about druids--always assumed they got their power through NATURE which is distinct from 'divinity'), I just realized that I didn't think about monks as opposed to priests concerning requisite divine faith because I'm very familiar with Buddhist monks (i.e. I have Buddhist relatives).

What's special about Buddhism? It denies a deity. (Buddha was never and is not a deity in the classic sense.) Thus is faith not in a 'being' but of a philosophy and 'way'.

So I'll have to retract my own scepticism about atheist priests. :)

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

It seems too late since you've already chosen the classes for the game but I would loved to have a class closely linked to the setting and the souls in particularly.

Why not using something like the Artifiicier from DDO (Dungeons ans Dragons Online) who could use a soul to temporary link them to places or item, the stronger the soul the stronger the effect. If you choose to give souls to other creatures (somehow like the Buddhism), it would be easier to do (like linking a tortoise soul to a shield to make it harder or a barbarian soul to a weapon that would do more damage). That class could also be able to influence and communicate with the souls of the living or the dead.

You could also use this class, let's call it the Soulbringer (another old classic :blush: ) to have a special kind of crafting, unique to the setting. The soulbringer could cast rituals to permanently link a soul to a place or an item. Using the "Form and Effects Bonus" from Ars Magica (well idealy, you would use the whole rulebook :yes: ) would add a nice touch and you could limit the numbers of great souls avalaible to the player during the course of the game to make the choice of how to use them a hard one.

As I see it, the soulbringers could be revered by certain cultures and for them it would be the greatest honor as a funerary ceremony to be linked to an item as it would garanty some strong souls to stay whole after death and some great warriors could still help their people after death this way.

For other cultures, it would be an horror to prevent a soul to travel freely and the Soulbringers would be hunted without mercy by them.

Add to that, that with such a class, strong souls like those of the pcs would have great valor and it would create lots of interresting situations.

It seems too late since you've already chosen the classes for the game but I would loved to have a class closely linked to the setting and the souls in particularly.

Isn't that what the Cipher class is for?

Ciphers are uncommon and often misunderstood individuals with extraordinary mental abilities. Like wizards and priests, they have many talents that draw directly from their souls, but ciphers have the unique ability to peer through the spiritual energy of the world to manipulate other souls. While wizards use complex formulae in large tomes and priests tap into the passion of their faith, ciphers are able to operate directly through the power of their minds... and yours.

I think some people saw "through the power of their minds" and screamed PSIONIC! or something, but that's not how I read it.

Isn't that what the Cipher class is for?

If it would be something like that, it would be great but for now I have more the feeling that obsidian want to recreate the classic ad&d classes in a way less restrictive. In the post you quoted, I link "manipulate other souls" and "through the power of their minds ...and yours." But maybe I'm wrong and it would be nice to

I guess Cadegund is likely a priest.

yes, now looks sufficiently virginal and unsullied...but before, with that whore's boobplate of babylon +1 she had on...why, i almost blew a gasket at the sight of her!

thank god my sensibilities were protected.

I Don't agree with you here. I think the breastplate she had origionally was quite tame/acceptable compared to what is out there.

The is a huge difference between Cadegund's armor

image-163777-full.jpg?1348795914

And armor such as paladin_girl_by_xiaman-d39c9ca.jpg

Also, I don't see the difference between that and male defined breastplates.

roman_armour_by_portohle-d4ujlfz.jpg

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

(noise)

Appropriate discussion --> That-a-way

No sense in trying to get an official thread locked, huh?

And, for our Polish- and Russian-speaking fans - we are very happy to announce that distributors in Poland and Russia will be handling localization for these two languages, so we will be able to provide them without requiring a stretch goal!

Russian and Polish translation sounds good in principle, although it being handled by distributors, which in this case almost certainly means 1C/Cenega, sounds less so, as many Polish/Russian players will likely agree.

OMG, please-please, Obsidian, no 1C! Their politics is awful! We can't buy normal versions of the games in Russia because of them. For example - Fallout: New Vegas. In Steam there are separate ID for Russian version of this game, and international version just unacceptable! I had to ask my Ukrainian friend to steamgift European version of Lonesome Road DLC for me, because 1C delayed Russian localization of it for couple of months (not really sure, 4 or even more).

It is nice to have localization of P:E so my mom could play it in Russian if she'd want. (But she know French so she would play it anyway since the is 2.2m stretch goal). All my friends who play cRPGs know English and can play without localizations though.

• Like 1

And, for our Polish- and Russian-speaking fans - we are very happy to announce that distributors in Poland and Russia will be handling localization for these two languages, so we will be able to provide them without requiring a stretch goal!

Russian and Polish translation sounds good in principle, although it being handled by distributors, which in this case almost certainly means 1C/Cenega, sounds less so, as many Polish/Russian players will likely agree.

Absolutely agree, these guys make not-so-very-good localisations :no: But i'm going to play the game in English anyway.

(noise)

Appropriate discussion --> That-a-way

No sense in trying to get an official thread locked, huh?

Oh I know... I wasn't continuing, just... voiceing my opinion.

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The Rogue is sounding more and more appealing. even though that's all I ever seem to play lol.

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308