Update #15: PayPal, Polish and Russian support, $2.5M/$2.6M stretch goals, new reddit Q&A, classes, and art!

I guess Cadegund is likely a priest.

yes, now looks sufficiently virginal and unsullied...but before, with that whore's boobplate of babylon +1 she had on...why, i almost blew a gasket at the sight of her!

thank god my sensibilities were protected.

Edited by NerdBoner

Devs...

I love the monk class but is there any chance we could have a weapon-orientated monk as well as the vanilla fist-of-fury variety?

It's just that being a twink I feel like I'm missing out on all the cool items when I play a monk.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Excellent update, what you guys are doing is amazing.

One thing I beg you for though; please please please include atheist and anti-theist spheres for priests, monks and druids.

Not as a fallen dark character either but as a paragon or noble character.

It would be so very awesome if you could include this.

Thank you

The game is set in a fictional world where the gods aren't fictional.

• Like 3

A fantastic update. The flexible class builds, Polish and Russian translations and especially the Adventurer's Hall...good job.

As some before me, however, I'd like to ask about the distributors of the Polish and Russian versions. Could you tell as who they are, or is it too early? The thing is that if you picked Cenega/1C there might be problems with quality.

That's one down. The Adventurer's Hall fulfills one of my two major requests for Project Eternity. I promised to double my pledge if you offered both of them, so this gets some money from me.

All that remains is for Obsidian to let us know whether we'll be allowed to use any party member as party spokesperson (like BG, IWD, or SoZ). That's my other request. You'll see it again below in my signature.

I am not against it, but I doubt it, just because of the huge extra overhead of writing new dialog for every character besides the main PC.

If they do it the way BG did it, there's no extra writing at all. None. Not one line.

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

I don't think having atheist or anti-theist characters is totally bad, but they would have to have some feasible game-world explanation so we don't roll our eyes. I can think of atheist arguments within the setting, but whether they'd flesh out to be reasonable on further thought I don't know. I'm certainly not an atheist and I doubt if I make one, so no skin off my back either way.

• Like 2

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

For priests, will there be deities to choose from? Will character alignments restrict this? Will there be character alignments? Will the deity restrict and open up spells to use? Can you decline to worship a deity since the power comes within?

• Like 1

I love the **** out of this art. It's not perfect (misses girls who look like actresses from 90's movies, dwarf with axe, ect.), but it seems like a generally well done, very subtle traveler frozen in time between AD&D and 3d edition. It's not boring, but it's also very classy.

Well done Obsidian. Continue just like that.

• Like 1

For priests, will there be deities to choose from? Will character alignments restrict this? Will there be character alignments? Will the deity restrict and open up spells to use? Can you decline to worship a deity since the power comes within?

It's already been confirmed that there will be no alignment, only reputation with various factions, characters, etc.

I don't think having atheist or anti-theist characters is totally bad, but they would have to have some feasible game-world explanation so we don't roll our eyes. I can think of atheist arguments within the setting, but whether they'd flesh out to be reasonable on further thought I don't know. I'm certainly not an atheist and I doubt if I make one, so no skin off my back either way.

If anything it should be less of "Gods don't exist" and more like "All the gods are jerks and I refuse to worship any of them". Could be interesting to have a character like that. Edited by Zap Rowsdower
  • Like 2

One thing I beg you for though; please please please include atheist and anti-theist spheres for priests, monks and druids.

Thank you

Why? As noted, in this setting, the gods are very real and it wouldn't make sense for there to even be atheists in the game world. And especially not atheists that have any kind of divine-related power/abilities.

Hi, responding with account I created; As for why.

First off in response to the point about it not making sense due to the presnece of entities of emense power that claim to be gods:

The presence of gods in the world would only make you a deist not a theist and only arguably that as you could still challenge these entities in their claims of ownership and control of the mortal races.

As a result even if these entities where gods and were creators some people could perfects sanely challenge there godhood. Additionally if others aceepted their godhood they could still challenge these entities rights over them (an anti-theist in other words)just as I dont 'own' my children the gods dont 'own' me they could claim.

Its also worth noting that in real life non-atheists dont have any divinine-related powers or abilities either, mages cant throw fireballs and dragons dont fly the skies.

As in a fanasty world these things do happen why wouldn't an atheist be able to use their faith in their selves, the universe, there race, there friends or whatever to access the powers?

As for why; its easy to accept a world with dragons, goblins, elves and mages in a fanasty setting as they are so vivid and tactile.

However I find the gods in a fanasty setting are either as remote as real life or simply a macguffin charged super being who the the player can actually superpass in power.

This severely impacts my immersion. For example in the planes of power expansion of ever quest it was possible for a priest of a given god to join a raid and kill the god they worship.

Not only not losing their powers following this but actually usual their powers against the very entity that granted them.

If it is the faith in what ever that grants these powers then this is an internal consistent world, if it is the god that grants these powers then it makes no sense.

If as in the first option it is faith that grants the power (the indication was from the update its the preist's faith that power's their souls to perform the spells) then why would some choose to have faith that they dont need a god at all?

Additionally as to why, why not?

yay.. love the cipher class. still a little upset there's no bard. really like bards and I think their supportive abilities fit well to the party based combat. though buffs and stuff will probably be covered by priests. ...still....

Edited by Kitan

Can I just say that atheist priests are a great idea, basically they have no powers and hang about shouting about how the gods don't exist.

Well, it depends on whether priestly powers in this setting come directly from the deity or from a person's *faith* in that deity (or in something else). The priests might even believe in the former while it's in fact the latter!

• Like 1

I've not read the full update yet, just watched the video...

but I just about fainted when they "confirmed" the Adventurer's Hall.

We MUST reach that stretch goal! I have to sell some crap to raise some money to send Obsidian more.

I just increased my pledge.

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

Thank you

The game is set in a fictional world where the gods aren't fictional.

True, so?

We live is a non-fictional world where gods are fictional and we have theists right?

So why not a fictional world where gods are non fictional and we have atheists?

Just saying it would be nice.

Oh my Lord. This game is just getting sexier and sexier on each update.

I hardly ever use multiclassing, or try to stray a class away from their original purpose, but the idea of real fleixble classes sound divine.

"You may be the God of Death, but I am the Death of Gods! Rrrrargh!"

Okay, maybe only possible in the third game of the series at the earliest, but still. "....and if there really is a god, it will be necessary to abolish him!" (That's a quote from somewhere, but I forget the source, apologies)

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

If anything it should be less of "Gods don't exist" and more like "All the gods are jerks and I refuse to worship any of them". Could be interesting to have a character like that.

There's also the fact that just because this race is uber powerful doesn't mean it has to be accepted by all the lord of it's sphere of creation. Many could argue that the worship of these entities is akin to cargo cults we have here.

Regardless of your real life beliefs these characters would be fun to roleplay that's for sure.

Hi, responding with account I created; As for why.

First off in response to the point about it not making sense due to the presnece of entities of emense power that claim to be gods:

The presence of gods in the world would only make you a deist not a theist and only arguably that as you could still challenge these entities in their claims of ownership and control of the mortal races.

As a result even if these entities where gods and were creators some people could perfects sanely challenge there godhood. Additionally if others aceepted their godhood they could still challenge these entities rights over them (an anti-theist in other words)just as I dont 'own' my children the gods dont 'own' me they could claim.

Its also worth noting that in real life non-atheists dont have any divinine-related powers or abilities either, mages cant throw fireballs and dragons dont fly the skies.

As in a fanasty world these things do happen why wouldn't an atheist be able to use their faith in their selves, the universe, there race, there friends or whatever to access the powers?

As for why; its easy to accept a world with dragons, goblins, elves and mages in a fanasty setting as they are so vivid and tactile.

However I find the gods in a fanasty setting are either as remote as real life or simply a macguffin charged super being who the the player can actually superpass in power.

This severely impacts my immersion. For example in the planes of power expansion of ever quest it was possible for a priest of a given god to join a raid and kill the god they worship.

Not only not losing their powers following this but actually usual their powers against the very entity that granted them.

If it is the faith in what ever that grants these powers then this is an internal consistent world, if it is the god that grants these powers then it makes no sense.

If as in the first option it is faith that grants the power (the indication was from the update its the preist's faith that power's their souls to perform the spells) then why would some choose to have faith that they dont need a god at all?

Additionally as to why, why not?

I don't want to get into a debate about this, as I'm pretty sure this will lead into territory best avoided on these forums. But suffice to say I disagree with you on this. Your reference to being able to challenge/defeat/kill the gods may not actually apply to this world. Perhaps they actually are gods in this setting and cannot be challenged or defeated by mere mortals. Given a setting in which gods are indisputably real beings, I cannot sea an atheist priest being a viable option. An anti-theist priest? Maybe, but what power would he have? What you describe about the character seems to me more like the Wizard class - even closer, a Sorcerer. Not a priest.