Wish the devs will tell us more about the nature of Project Eternity Politics

I only want something to chew over until the finalized product comes out, makes the wait more bearable.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well It more like " Can you disprove these rumors so we can have at least one thread with no obvious troll posts filling up half the threads and people beliving them, then they will take their pledges bakc." I know its 4chan but the amount of hate and misinformation that goes in there is insane

Every fan of obsidiaon is an edgy teenager who hates moral people

Avellone hates good alignments

Publishers put Obsidian in its place

Obsidian pandering to reddit

Obsidrone, Obsidiot, Obsitard

J.E. Sawyer pandering to Tumblr

J.E. Sawyer donated to Anita Sarkeesian

Tim Cain is gay

Avellone sounds gay

Obsidian is going to take the money and run

This is your average Project:Eternity thread on /v/

Seems pretty obvious that this poster repeating exactly the same spiel (are the developers gay, we have a right to know/Anita whateverhernameis/I just heard the latest news on 4chan) as Troller/Nigro is just Troller/Nigro astro-turfing and agreeing with himself. God knows why he bothers, but there's no point engaging with him, peeps.

People who are offended by left wing viewpoints on issues don't have some special status that the rest of us lack. Nor should people have to apologise for, or hide such views. Labels like 'radical feminist' are just an excuse for an aggressor to pretend that they're the ones under attack. If anything, i'm concerned about the people who might look over this project only to be turned off it by people ranting about gay characters being rammed down their throat. Nobody is ramming anything gay down your throat, get over it.

Obsidian is going to take the money and run
I can just imagine the last youtube update, in which all the devs, dressed in hawian shirts, stuff handfuls of money into briefcases before laughing and runnning off down the road towards the airport.
  • Like 4

@OP:

This just in:

New Project Eternity update confirms that the reason for the brokenness of souls in the game world is LGTB discrimination and patriarchy, and the central storyline revolves around the player's quest to bring feminism and homosexual/transgender pride to the realms, in order to restore the integrity of souls and bring about peace and love everywhere!

The amount of power that the player character and companions can leverage from their souls (e.g. for spell-casting, and all other cool abilities), depends on their
enlightenment
stat. Making dialog or quest decisions that conform to traditional gender roles for the player's gender will decrease the stat, while choosing progressive and politically correct paths will increase it.

During the course of the story, the player character will complete a gay romance and have gay sex at least 5 times (the game cannot be completed without it), and various side-quests involve convincing NPCs to discard their evil "traditional values", or establishing female quotas for town councils and guilds, etc.

The promised mega-dungeon will only be unlocked for female players, in order to counterbalance the historic tendency of discrimination against them in video games.

And instead of a final boss battle, the game will conclude with a quiz in which the player will have to recite (from memory) quotes from the communist manifesto which had been previously presented throughout the game.

Oh, and
everyone
will be black.

So, that should clear things up for you and your buddies at that renowned haven of intellectual exchange of ideas (4chan) from whence you came... :devil:

• Like 3

People who are offended by left wing viewpoints on issues don't have some special status that the rest of us lack. Nor should people have to apologise for, or hide such views. Labels like 'radical feminist' are just an excuse for an aggressor to pretend that they're the ones under attack. If anything, i'm concerned about the people who might look over this project only to be turned off it by people ranting about gay characters being rammed down their throat. Nobody is ramming anything gay down your throat, get over it.

I'd like to point out that were PE to espouse, say, the stances of Randian Objectivism (not, incidentally, an ideology I support), you might not have such a dismissive attitude. And though Obsidian has a better record than most publishers at approaching political issues with tact and neutrality, you can't say for sure there won't be any political stance espoused, because as mentioned above, they haven't said anything​. In fact, unless my eyes deceive me, that seems to be the title of this topic - `I wish we knew more`, not `aaah! Leftism! Getitoff!`.

In my opinion, any political stance, in any game, from any side, tends to detract from enjoyability as the game never approaches the issue in anything near realistic detail. While I can't actually think of any games that actually espouse a right-wing viewpoint, I know that the heavy-handed use of such in, say, Heinlein or Rand can be offputting. The filibustering in Starship Troopers annoyed me even though I broadly agreed with it.

Looking back at previous posts, I don't believe anyone asked for PE to take sides, or tried to make anyone else `apologise` for their viewpoint, or claimed any `special status`. Here's what the OP (by my judgement, one of the more... insistent posters) said:

I am not trying to offend anyone with this post

Maybe if we take this subject aside we could all discuss some stuff that is common grounds for all of us, like gameplay mechanics that are fun and good for RPGS, anything that won't involve politics.

All anyone has asked for is neutrality and info. Not protection of viewpoints, nor damnation of them. No one's even said that they might `overlook` this project because of it's political points. Argue with what people have actually said, not the strawman.

• Like 2

`This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!` - God Emperor of Didcot by Toby Frost.

All games are political. "Traditional values" are not any less political than "modern values". A game without (for example) gay-romance and where all relationships follow a heteronormative line is as political as a game challenging "traditional values".

I agree that it's boring when a game shoves political ideas down your throat and forces you to take a certain stance in game, but that's not exclusive for left-wing ideas. Why is for example the economical system in all games some type of market-economy? Why are both women and men stereotypically pictured in so many games? And so on. I personally like it when political and social issues are in a game, as long as were not forced to pick a certain side. Beeing forced into something usually breaks your plans for your character and makes bad RP.

Also; this is a fantasy-game, not real life. The world in this game doesn't have to be a copy of our world. Heterosexuality doesn't have to be the norm i PE just because it is IRL. Historically, heterosexuality in our own world has not been as normative as it is today and homosexuality has not always been looked down on. Greek soldiers were for example often encouraged to have homosexual relationsships because it was belived to strenghten the group and make the soldiers more willing to fight to the death with their comrades. So in a way, acceptance for homosexuality is a lot more "traditional" than heteronormativity.

@OP:

This just in:

New Project Eternity update confirms that the reason for the brokenness of souls in the game world is LGTB discrimination and patriarchy, and the central storyline revolves around the player's quest to bring feminism and homosexual/transgender pride to the realms, in order to restore the integrity of souls and bring about peace and love everywhere!

The amount of power that the player character and companions can leverage from their souls (e.g. for spell-casting, and all other cool abilities), depends on their
enlightenment
stat. Making dialog or quest decisions that conform to traditional gender roles for the player's gender will decrease the stat, while choosing progressive and politically correct paths will increase it.

During the course of the story, the player character will complete a gay romance and have gay sex at least 5 times (the game cannot be completed without it), and various side-quests involve convincing NPCs to discard their evil "traditional values", or establishing female quotas for town councils and guilds, etc.

The promised mega-dungeon will only be unlocked for female players, in order to counterbalance the historic tendency of discrimination against them in video games.

And instead of a final boss battle, the game will conclude with a quiz in which the player will have to recite (from memory) quotes from the communist manifesto which had been previously presented throughout the game.

Oh, and
everyone
will be black.

So, that should clear things up for you and your buddies at that renowned haven of intellectual exchange of ideas (4chan) from whence you came... :devil:

I would so buy this game! :grin:

• Like 2

All games are political. "Traditional values" are not any less political than "modern values". A game without (for example) gay-romance and where all relationships follow a heteronormative line is as political as a game challenging "traditional values".

I agree that it's boring when a game shoves political ideas down your throat and forces you to take a certain stance in game, but that's not exclusive for left-wing ideas. Why is for example the economical system in all games some type of market-economy? Why are both women and men stereotypically pictured in so many games? And so on. I personally like it when political and social issues are in a game, as long as were not forced to pick a certain side. Beeing forced into something usually breaks your plans for your character and makes bad RP.

Also; this is a fantasy-game, not real life. The world in this game doesn't have to be a copy of our world. Heterosexuality doesn't have to be the norm i PE just because it is IRL. Historically, heterosexuality in our own world has not been as normative as it is today and homosexuality has not always been looked down on. Greek soldiers were for example often encouraged to have homosexual relationsships because it was belived to strenghten the group and make the soldiers more willing to fight to the death with their comrades. So in a way, acceptance for homosexuality is a lot more "traditional" than heteronormativity.

@OP:

This just in:

enlightenment

Oh, and
everyone
will be black.

Me too man, sounds like an awesome game.

@OP:

This just in:

enlightenment

Oh, and
everyone
will be black.

So it will be like every single game out there. I have no problem with gay/bi characters in a game, my problem is that its done in an very unrealistic manner. Bioware is the worst (everybody is bi? *rolls eyes*), but pretty much every recent game has had a "we all get along and look beyond our differences and we only fight because of ideology vision that just happens to not be offensive to anybody in the rreal world". No thank you, I want there to be racism, sexism, discriminations, drug use..etc. I do not want the game to feel 'safe' or feel like its in some bizaro universe where there is nothing wrong except for a few 'token' moments. The problems should exist, if for anything, those who want to be white knights could have the option of trying to change these very things in the games.

Edited by Badmojo
  • Like 2

@OP:

This just in:

enlightenment

Oh, and
everyone
will be black.

So it will be like every single game out there. I have no problem with gay/bi characters in a game, my problem is that its done in an very unrealistic manner. Bioware is the worst (everybody is bi? *rolls eyes*), but pretty much every recent game has had a "we all get along and look beyond our differences and we only fight because of ideology vision that just happens to not be offensive to anybody in the rreal world". No thank you, I want there to be racism, sexism, discriminations, drug use..etc. I do not want the game to feel 'safe' or feel like its in some bizaro universe where there is nothing wrong except for a few 'token' moments. The problems should exist, if for anything, those who want to be white knights could have the option of trying to change these very things in the games.

Totally agree man, take Dragon Age Origins for example, in the game The elves and Humans hate each other for pretty much no reason at all than to just have a convenient plot.Now in Dragon Age 2 is about the hate people have for the mages, but really none of this hate is explained, it's just there for convenience, to help to get the game going.

I wish they would at least in Project Eternity, since they said it would deal with more mature themes, get into more detail into that kind of stuff, like, for example, maybe the elves could hate the dwarfs because the dwarfs are disgusting and have no hygiene.

Imo it's important to have a reason for the hatred, otherwise it becomes just a plot enabler: HURR we gotta stop the opression of the race X because race Y is bad because opressing people is bad.

Totally agree man, take Dragon Age Origins for example, in the game The elves and Humans hate each other for pretty much no reason at all than to just have a convenient plot.Now in Dragon Age 2 is about the hate people have for the mages, but really none of this hate is explained, it's just there for convenience, to help to get the game going.

I wish they would at least in Project Eternity, since they said it would deal with more mature themes, get into more detail into that kind of stuff, like, for example, maybe the elves could hate the dwarfs because the dwarfs are disgusting and have no hygiene.

I dunno, seems to me that hating people based on their skin color is for pretty much no reason at all too. The, "Because they're disgusting and have no hygiene," stuff is just BS that people make up to justify their hatred.

I dunno, seems to me that hating people based on their skin color is for pretty much no reason at all too. The, "Because they're disgusting and have no hygiene," stuff is just BS that people make up to justify their hatred.

That's not necessarily true, however. Historically, racism existed in order to justify conquering other individuals and making them their subordinates. This is what justified slavery; Europeans did not even consider Native Americans and Africans to be human beings, therefore, they do not need to be treated as human beings.

As mentioned before, I don't mind LGBT characters, or what have you. What I don't want is LGBT characters that define themselves primarily by their sexuality. It would be like the two-dimensional token black character from old sitcoms, who exists solely so they have a black character. He'd constantly remind you that he is, indeed, black primarily so the show can be viewed as politically correct and ethnically diverse. The same thing with gay/bi characters; he or she would constantly feel the need to remind you of his or her sexuality for the same reason. However, this is bad writing, because most individuals who are indeed homosexual or bisexual don't naturally behave like this. They are human beings; their sexuality is merely one facet of their identity and they have other characteristics that define them more as individuals. Arcade Gannon, for example, was homosexual, however much of the focus on him were his views of the wasteland and experience with the Enclave, not necessarily his homosexuality.

• Like 2

That's not necessarily true, however. Historically, racism existed in order to justify conquering other individuals and making them their subordinates. This is what justified slavery; Europeans did not even consider Native Americans and Africans to be human beings, therefore, they do not need to be treated as human beings.

As mentioned before, I don't mind LGBT characters, or what have you. What I don't want is LGBT characters that define themselves primarily by their sexuality. It would be like the two-dimensional token black character from old sitcoms, who exists solely so they have a black character. He'd constantly remind you that he is, indeed, black primarily so the show can be viewed as politically correct and ethnically diverse. The same thing with gay/bi characters; he or she would constantly feel the need to remind you of his or her sexuality for the same reason. However, this is bad writing, because most individuals who are indeed homosexual or bisexual don't naturally behave like this. They are human beings; their sexuality is merely one facet of their identity and they have other characteristics that define them more as individuals. Arcade Gannon, for example, was homosexual, however much of the focus on him were his views of the wasteland and experience with the Enclave, not necessarily his homosexuality.

This.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Yeah, it's awesome to stay close to people with no hygiene, their smell is great! I love them.