I don't think most of you understand what true co-op is supposed to be.  I guess it must be a generational thing....

Co-op does NOT, I repeat does NOT require an internet connection.  That is ridiculous.  It only requires a NETWORK connection.  You can play co-op locally.  As many of you have said you played BG and BG2 and Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale II.  Did you not know that you could play with the person sitting next to you without an internet connection?  You don't HAVE to play co-op with people you don't know and frankly its stupid to play co-op with people you don't know.  That's the whole point of co-op is to be able to a "single player" game with a friend that you know in real life.  Having co-op doesn't need to change anything about the game at all.  You can have the EXACT same experience playing co-op as you do playing the regular single player game, the only difference is one or more of your friends are tagging along.  Go play the Baldur's Gate series or Icewind Dale series again but with someone you KNOW in real life and then play by yourself.  It is totally seamless.  THIS is co-op, not that MMORPG or Battlefield 4 "co-op" crap that the game companies are shoving down our throats these days.  Co-op does not need to EVER take away ANYTHING from the game.  Seriously even the old original Doom had full co-op capability that was seamless, its not that hard.  

Guess that is my rant for the day...

• Like 4

"I don't want the type of player who like multiplayer to be a part of the community / audience for this game"

That's funny since RPGs are at their best played MP.  Afterall, CRPGs wouldn't exist without pnp which is about adventuring with other players.

MP doesn't equal MMO which is horribad 99% of the time. Why not have a PE where each character is played by a different player? Works in BG. And, works awesomely in NWN.

That said, like 99% of CRPGs PE is FAKE role-playing with multi headed monsters. It's not a real RPG.

That said, it'll be hella fun in the ol fashion CRPG way. :).

P.S. This discussion is worthless since the decision has already been made so non issue. If it's  deal breaker for you don't buy the game. Period.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 3 months later...

No multiplayer = No buy.

You have every right to feel that way, but it doesn't exactly make multiplayer mandatory. I find it a bit extreme that the value of every other aspect of the game is so far below multiplayer that it warrants purchasing abstinence. I mean, if the game had multiplayer, but everything else was stripped from it, would it be a definite buy?

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I also played all the possible RPGs in co-op with my friends..too bad it's not going to be implemented...well maybe next time

RISE FROM YOUR GRA-oh, everybody relevant knows what I'm referencing at this point, no reason to bother.

Ain't none of your Dungeon Sieges or Diabloes up in this house.

I'm fine with focusing on single player. Focus on the majority first. After an expansion or two maybe then make a standalone expansion that adds coop (extra difficulty, coop and maybe counter coop human player takes control of enemies). Would willing play 30$+ for it. 

BG multiplayer was finicky and fickle at best, unplayable (literally, unloadable) at worse. It was a fun thing to try, but I guarantee that 99% of all Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 playthroughs that managed to get past the first dungeon (or first challenging fight) were done with a single player. I'd be fine with them never implementing a Co-op mode at all, at least for this game. A Pillars of Eternity 2 maybe, but having them shoe-in a multiplayer component for a game that wasn't designed for it has proven terrible time and time again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with the devs on this one. The level of complexity with making a MP/co-op is a considerably large undertaking, and it would take away from the experience of the game itself. I don't mean that in the "the money is going into making the MP aspect and less into fine-tuning just single player."

The way I see it, most RPG's have to have some sort of character creation, some way of putting yourself, or a character you imagine, in game. The problem on the developers part of this, is trying to make your character seem like a believable part of the world. With more CC options, the more work they have to do to accommodate those potential choices you make. The simplified version is whether you make a male or female character - the dev's have to make sure to get those pronouns right

With more players in game, it becomes more difficult for the game to react to each player in a meaningful and satisfying way. Example: in Baldurs gate, if you weren't the Bhaalspawn, you were essentially just a nameless, faceless Mook. And that, to me, feels very immersion breaking. I may not be the "hero," but I was there to help out my friend fight those big fights, and make those big decisions.

And so, in writing a story like that, they would either have to just lump every identifying mark as a "what a great group nameless adventurers!" or make one guy the bees knees and everybody else his designated "gang."

Not to mention all the technical aspects of it that were mentioned.

And to be honest, I'm perfectly fine with the devs decision that a MP/co-op was just not what they wanted to make, and leave it at that. Me and my girlfriend are probably still going to play it side by side and compare experiences, which to me is still a fun group experience.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I don't think most of you understand what true co-op is supposed to be.  I guess it must be a generational thing....

Co-op does NOT, I repeat does NOT require an internet connection.  That is ridiculous.  It only requires a NETWORK connection.  You can play co-op locally.  As many of you have said you played BG and BG2 and Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale II.  Did you not know that you could play with the person sitting next to you without an internet connection?  You don't HAVE to play co-op with people you don't know and frankly its stupid to play co-op with people you don't know.  That's the whole point of co-op is to be able to a "single player" game with a friend that you know in real life.  Having co-op doesn't need to change anything about the game at all.  You can have the EXACT same experience playing co-op as you do playing the regular single player game, the only difference is one or more of your friends are tagging along.  Go play the Baldur's Gate series or Icewind Dale series again but with someone you KNOW in real life and then play by yourself.  It is totally seamless.  THIS is co-op, not that MMORPG or Battlefield 4 "co-op" crap that the game companies are shoving down our throats these days.  Co-op does not need to EVER take away ANYTHING from the game.  Seriously even the old original Doom had full co-op capability that was seamless, its not that hard.  

Guess that is my rant for the day...

Amen!

Has anyone ever played neverwinter nights 2 storm of zehir? Literally made by the same company and had 100% excellent LAN and online Co-op features that really make the game come alive. I might pick up PE but with Divinity: origonal sin is spouting the same kind of content, same kind of reviews AND co-op I think my choice is clear. cRPGs by their very nature work to maximize palyer choice, both qualitatively and quantitatively. If Obsidian doesn't want to do that its fine by me, but don't expect my money. Call me when they feel rich enough to add such features. 

• Like 1