PE already inspiring others

I rather put more money into this game :yes: , and I dont like their timing :devil: cannabilizing on the last stretch of this campaign for the same type of backers.

We need some new blood in the gaming industry instead of all the old timers trying to cash in on vague projects. (Even Eternity was a too vague ín the beginning). So instead of jumping onto this kickstarter I just pledged for another game. That it got a Might and Magic feel, a working model with some neat ideas helped a long way to convince me.

Dont forget the little guys.....

Serious question: How many of you guys played Anarchranox?

Edit: Not meant as an insult. But, rather if you didn't you should totally pick it up.

Edit2: (The same counts for Wizardry 8 and Jagged Alliance 2)

Edited by C2B

Edit: Not meant as an insult. But, rather if you didn't you should totally pick it up.

Seen the movie, have it installed on my computer. Have not made time for it, however.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

PE is made by a proven RPG company with a long storied history in making these kind of games. I trust them. No disrespect but I don't trust those other folks.

I disagree on that

Brenda Brathwaite has a really long history with Wizardry (though she mainly designed/wrote on Wizardry 8 and was a writer on Jagged Alliance 2). Tom Hall is a widely respected game developer and Anarchranox counts as an extraordinary rpg (and one of the most creative) of all time.

Both actually have a longer game development experience than Sawyer or Avellone.

Ya, but they are not a company with a long history.

Picked it up on gog some days ago, but didn't get to it yet as I wanted to complete my current BG playthrough first. Might have to check it out sooner now though.

But seriously, I'd trust that kickstarter a lot more if John Romero was not involved. I still remember daikatana, despite its rather sneaky absence from their list of published games....

But seriously, I'd trust that kickstarter a lot more if John Romero was not involved. I still remember daikatana, despite its rather sneaky absence from their list of published games....

That's now more than a decade ago. Let it go and/or at least give him another chance. (He apologized for it to, more or less)

Furthermore (if it calms you):

1. He isn't the Project's Lead

2. Aside from the giant misstep that was Daikatana he was a pretty decent designer.

Edited by C2B

I rather put more money into this game :yes: , and I dont like their timing :devil: cannabilizing on the last stretch of this campaign for the same type of backers.

We need some new blood in the gaming industry instead of all the old timers trying to cash in on vague projects. (Even Eternity was a too vague ín the beginning). So instead of jumping onto this kickstarter I just pledged for another game. That it got a Might and Magic feel, a working model with some neat ideas helped a long way to convince me.

http://www.kickstart...taylors-arakion

Dont forget the little guys.....

And they have soem fantastic music in that game

Edited by norolim

The thing that really put me off with this Loot Drop KickStarter was their description (or lack there of) of what was missing from other Role Playing Games and why they wanted to create what they could only describe as "An Old School Role Playing Game".

The folks at Obsidian (I'm looking at you Josh, Tim, Chris) know EXACTLY what is missing from current Role Playing Games, what made the RPG's of the past great, and what they want to put in a game where they have complete creative freedom. They have direction, drive, ambition and best of all when they talk about Project Eternity they're genuinely excited and enthralled by what they're talking about.

What made the old RPG's great wasn't a cloth map. That was cool when you opened the box, but that's not what gave us fond memories. The box and 'trinkets' isn't what made Planescape: Torment memorable for us. Chris Avellone is the reason Planescape: Torment is memorable.

Edited by VIGIL_AU
  • Like 1

"The higher you place your faith in one man the farther it has to fall."

Isn't Wasteland 2 the one inspiring? :p

PE gave some info about what to expect. I hope that "Old-School" actually goes fast into giving details about... well, something. A Wizardry like game would be nice to me, for example.

I'm pretty sure it was Tim Schafer who kicked off this whole 'hey, you remember how awesome classic games were? Well, big-name publishers apparently don't, so give us money and we'll make one on our own' craze.

Where's the concept and originality? All I got was "it's going to be an old-school RPG.. or two RPGs". The video was incredibly vague. No concept art? Nothing? I don't even know if it's going to be isometric or first person.

That was a terrible pitch and I don't feel the least bit excited about it. You have got to present yourself better; and the timing of it -- this and PE competing for attention can't be good for either party...

Edit: Okay, I'm a dumbass. All I had to do was scroll down the page to see it'll be first person. At least I know something about this project. Tell me more.

Edited by Inyourprime

I disagree on that

Brenda Brathwaite has a really long history with Wizardry (though she mainly designed/wrote on Wizardry 8 and was a writer on Jagged Alliance 2). Tom Hall is a widely respected game developer and Anarchranox counts as an extraordinary rpg (and one of the most creative) of all time.

Both actually have a longer game development experience than Sawyer or Avellone.

I'd rather agree with Hiro point and i'll also add.

Their project seems to be existing only over two proeminent figure of video games. I don't see structure, thinking or real involvement in all this (saying we will propose 2 RPG really really show you that lack of involvement in it..one should be going over quality not quantity especially with Rpg old school lovers we are all quite harsh with quality lol).

the other hand Obsidian doesn't revolves on names but on a company that already proven what they could do.

And not impress at all with the pitch..2 planet one bridge..one medieval etc..did they played Star Ocean lately and wanted to make a remake..?

Edited by Dawn_

Well for what it's worth ,I like OSRPG's story hook posted in update 2 ... still haven't heard boo about what the gameplay will be like or what they're shooting for, but they've got a good hook.

Update 2 is thather interesting. It's a real shame they didn't have it ready at project start. Hopefully the update will do the job, because if pledges don't pick up drastically, even one game won't become a reality.

Not my kind of old-school RPG, but of course I hope they make it.

Update 2 is thather interesting. It's a real shame they didn't have it ready at project start. Hopefully the update will do the job, because if pledges don't pick up drastically, even one game won't become a reality.

Not my kind of old-school RPG, but of course I hope they make it.

I'm not meaning to pick on you in particular, norolim, so don't take it personally - I'm just branching off of what you are saying here.

Aren't doing well as compared to what? Most Kickstarter campaigns don't succeed. But let's put that aside for a moment.

Of the game campaigns I've seen succeed, maybe a third hit their goal in a day. Many of them just barely squeaked by at the end, barely going over their requested amount, like Takedown, Leisure Suit Larry, Director's Cut, Shadowrun Online... most succesful KS campaigns don't raise double their goals.

Seriously, look at Shadowrun Online and Takedown for good examples of how unpredictable it can be.

Don't count out a campaign until the last day, and even then you never know.

They are 1/10th of the way there with over 90% of their campaign left. It could fail, but there's nothing right now you can point to that would really project that it is going to.

It's a shame their video and campaign overall seems very undecisive and just... weird. The presentation is so off, and that makes me sad :(

I'll confess, I'm actually even a bit more excited about Tom and Brenda's new game than about PE. Just a bit ;)

A party based first person turn based RPG in the spirit of almighty Wizardry series (yay favorite) is probably the game of my dreams right now.

I'm a bit unsure if Hall's involvement is good for the game. I mean, he's great, he was involved in Doom (a game I still play very often), but he's pretty inexperienced in RPGs. As far as I know, Anachronox was his only RPG and, while people liked it, I can't say the same about myself.

Wish they had a better presentation, and beeest of luck!

image.png

I'm not meaning to pick on you in particular, norolim, so don't take it personally - I'm just branching off of what you are saying here.

Aren't doing well as compared to what? Most Kickstarter campaigns don't succeed. But let's put that aside for a moment.

Of the game campaigns I've seen succeed, maybe a third hit their goal in a day. Many of them just barely squeaked by at the end, barely going over their requested amount, like Takedown, Leisure Suit Larry, Director's Cut, Shadowrun Online... most succesful KS campaigns don't raise double their goals.

Seriously, look at Shadowrun Online and Takedown for good examples of how unpredictable it can be.

Don't count out a campaign until the last day, and even then you never know.

They are 1/10th of the way there with over 90% of their campaign left. It could fail, but there's nothing right now you can point to that would really project that it is going to.

What exactly is the point of your post? I believe you need to calm down a bit, 'cause you're being very confrontational in this topic. And for no apparent reason.

There is nothing to pick on in my post. It's just my prediction, based on statistics related to Old School RPG and other Kickstarters. By comparing the trending and projection graphs of this and past projects available on Kicktraq it is possible to predict the outcome of a Kickstarter campaign with a fairly high degree of accuracy.

And that's what my post is. Not a definitive statement. A personal prediction based on my own observations. If it's wrong...I will actually be glad. But there is nothing to pick on for you. I'm not whishing them to fail. I'm just stating my concern. So, honestly, mate, and I say this after watching your involvement in his topic for a while...calm down a bit.

Edited by norolim

There were a few projects I have seen in the last few months that I thought wouldn't make it, but they somehow get the bulk of their funding at the end. Anything is possible on Kickstarter, and that is the beauty of it.

• Like 1
Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

Damn. The exposition in their new update is rather intriguing. They are beginning to win me over

I am almost at the point of pledging, give it a couple more updates and I reckon it will have sold itself to me.

Legendary Weapons Made By You - A post about weapon customisation and creating your own legendary items

Magic Spell Customisation - A post about adapting spells to fit your style, making news ones from old

$4million+ raised, I think our jobs here are done.

Damn. The exposition in their new update is rather intriguing. They are beginning to win me over

Not me.....they lost my interest at the "Shaker" Corporation part....it just made me roll my eyes. That's like calling it "Evil" Corporation.....that it may be but do you seriously have such little imagination that you can't come up with a proper name for it? Not to mention that their kickstarter page only ever mentions how "Old-School" their "Old-School RPG" is but the kickstarter has to reach $2 million for the "Seriously Old-School Player Enhancements" to be implemented because clearly before that it won't really be "Serious" about how "Old-School" their "Old-School RPG" is...... :banghead::bat:

1zq6793.jpg

Very strange video. First off they don't seem to be serious. And then there's John Romero all over the video and he's not mentioned vocally, just in the text below. As far as I know John Romero loves his name to be mentioned everywhere so it seems like he's not in the project, just hanging around. Tom Hall doesn't seem believable at all. No info about the game except that it's.... 1st person. Yeah thanks but 1st person 3D is not very old school, and 2D (as in SSI games) is too old school for my tastes. And also asking for a million bucks for a 2D 1st person RPG is funny. One last thing: why would I want 2 games while I'm not sure one would be good enough? Who guarantees that they wont just cut it in half and box separately?

As for the above discussion, P:E, being one of 3 KS projects I've backed, is the one I truly believe in. And I think it will be the greatest success (already surpassed WL2). Thus I believe PE is probably the main inspiration for this old school RPG KS.

There's just something "off" about that project ... and I mean aside from the spartan details about gameplay (although I guess we know it will be a first person, party-based game).

The "two games for the price of one" gimmick really has me scratching my head. If the medieval fantasy game raises 1.85 million you get one game, if it raises 1.9 million you get one medieval fantasy game and a sci-fi game ... which splits the funding, so you get two 950K games. And how is this a good thing exactly?