PE already inspiring others

At fist I jumped at the link expecting to find something good but it's such a blatant copy of the PE kickstarter page with a lot less originality and a lot more vagueness(like the 2 mil stretch goal "Seriously Old School Player Enhancements" :rolleyes:) Sorry but I haven't managed to see a single positive to it.....I seriously doubt they'll rise the 1 mil they seek....they really should have put more thought and planning into it.

1zq6793.jpg

The combined list of ways in which they could've tripled the amount pledged so far:

• Have Romero say "Hi, I'm the guy that ****ed up Daikatana, but this time I'll make you my bitch for sure!
  • Have Tom Hall mention that he voiced Walton Simons (Deus Ex!), and that Doom 3 might've been a more interesting game if John Carmack had listened to him instead of firing him (I know, it's blasphemous to say that).
  • Not saying "Old-School RPG" as often. It makes them sound like they're trying too hard to throw around trigger words. Instead, they could've gone into detail about what kind of game we'd even be pledging for - Myst/Legend of Grimrock/Might and Magic? Isometric turn-based RPG with sprites?

I would love to see this game - Brenda and Tom knew what they were doing ~back then~, but at the same time I kind of hope this fails and that they're forced to present themselves better. This is just diluting well thought out KS prospects like Planetary Annihilation or Project Eternity.

Edited by wbn
  • Like 3

The combined list of ways in which they could've tripled the amount pledged so far:

• Have Romero say "Hi, I'm the guy that ****ed up Daikatana, but this time I'll make you my bitch for sure!
  • Have Tom Hall mention that he voiced Walton Simons (Deus Ex!), and that Doom 3 might've been a more interesting game if John Carmack had listened to him instead of firing him (I know, it's blasphemous to say that).
  • Not saying "Old-School RPG" as often. It makes them sound like they're trying too hard to throw around trigger words. Instead, they could've gone into detail about what kind of game we'd even be pledging for - Myst/Legend of Grimrock/Might and Magic? Isometric turn-based RPG with sprites?

What, you mean their 2 mil stretch goal didn't convince you? I mean who can say no to "Seriously Old School Player Enhancements"? >_<:bat:

• Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

Aaaaaand they restricted comments to backers only.....figures, they KNOW they're going to get flamed to death for copy-pasting and lack of thought and planning....I was going to help out with that. :fdevil:

That's bull****. Why? Seriously why?

Do you need some kind of war with them. What do you care if they reuse the Obsidian design ESPECIALLY WHEN OBSIDIAN ITSELF SUPPORTS THE PROJECT.

What is wrong with you people?

Edited by C2B
  • Like 3

Lots of fanboy retardation here. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it, but I wish them good luck. I really respect Tom Hall.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I would love to see this game - Brenda and Tom knew what they were doing ~back then~, but at the same time I kind of hope this fails and that they're forced to present themselves better. This is just diluting well thought out KS prospects like Planetary Annihilation or Project Eternity.

Somewhat agree

well, not for the *should fail and the diluging other projects* part. They just started the campaign and have enough time to show us something and make good on it.

Edited by C2B

Aaaaaand they restricted comments to backers only.....figures, they KNOW they're going to get flamed to death for copy-pasting and lack of thought and planning....I was going to help out with that. :fdevil:

... and where are the projects that don't have comments restricted to backers only? >_<

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Hmm, I'm on the fence.

1) This seems like an odd time to start their kickstarter. It would've been better to wait a month or so, instead of competing against Project Eternity for funds. Especially since PE already absorbed most of the available funds for this type of project for this pay check cycle.

2) There really is hardly any information about the actual game available. Apart from the fact that they want to make an Old School RPG (How many times did they use that phrase in the video? jeez.) I haven't got a clue as to what it actually is they want to do.

3) The pitch video wasn't really that good. They just kept repeating the same things over and over instead of actually saying something.

Still, I pledged $15. It's not much to pay for a game and their experience with the industry holds some promise.

How very mature of you.

• Like 1

That's bull****. Why? Seriously why?

Do you need some kind of war with them. What do you care if they reuse the Obsidian design ESPECIALLY WHEN OBSIDIAN ITSELF SUPPORTS THE PROJECT.

What is wrong with you people?

Because they still expect to be given money when all they've shown so far is a lack of ideas and originality......and shamelessly copy-pasting....I really do feel potential backers need to be warned as many may not be aware of PE and the shameless copy-pasting going on there.

No offense to Obsidian and Chris Avellone but I think they should have demanded a better thought out plan and less copy-pasted kickstarter page before offering their support no matter how highly they may think of those creating it.....just saying. It's still not right.

Edited by Darth Trethon
  • Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

Because they still expect to be given money when all they've shown so far is a lack of ideas and originality......and shamelessly copy-pasting....I really do feel potential backers need to be warned as many may not be aware of PE and the shameless copy-pasting going on there.

What?

What is shameless about it? Did Obsidian complain? Did Obsidian say *they stole* it*? Are they against the project. For all we know they could have even helped.

No, I doubt you're intentions are goody-goody like you want to describe yourself.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

their "sales pitch" video was doing good untill they brought romero in the picture :aiee: that guy reeks of disaster :p

oh, also...good luck making 2 crpgs.

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

No offense to Obsidian and Chris Avellone but I think they should have demanded a better thought out plan and less copy-pasted kickstarter page before offering their support no matter how highly they may think of those creating it.....just saying. It's still not right.

That doesn't even make sense.

Critising is fine. Flaming like you want to do isn't. And somehow perceiving this as them doing a scam or something wrong is terrible.

Edited by C2B

What?

What is shameless about it? Did Obsidian complain? Did Obsidian say *they stole* it*? Are they against the project. For all we know they could have even helped.

No, I doubt you're intentions are goody-goody like you want to describe yourself.

My intentions? My intentions are to clearly express the fact that whether Obsidian supports it or not, they need to show an idea of their own and copy somewhat less than 99% of another project's page before expecting donations, I've yet to see one.

1zq6793.jpg

My intentions? My intentions are to clearly express the fact that whether Obsidian supports it or not, they need to show an idea of their own and copy somewhat less than 99% of another project's page before expecting donations, I've yet to see one.

And they still have time to do so.

What were Project Eternity's, Wasteland 2's and especially DFA's ideas at the beginning?

And they still have time to do so.

What were Project Eternity's, Wasteland 2's and especially DFA's ideas at the beginning?

A lot more than saying "we're totally old-shool" a hundred times and at least they had a map, videos and original kickstarter page design going on.....and they didn't copy paste another kickstarter page.

1zq6793.jpg

A lot more than saying "we're totally old-shool" a hundred times and at least they had a map, videos and original kickstarter page design going on.....and they didn't copy paste another kickstarter page.

DFA was literary, *I want to do a Adventure*

Wasteland 2 was literary, "I want to do another Wasteland"

Project Eternity was literary "We want to do a spiritual successor to the IE games*

Nothing else was really known. I was around for the first days of everyone of them. And again, they didn't "just copy paste*. They most likely saw that Obsidian's design worked and asked them to use it. The only one who has a right to be THAT upset about this is Obsidian themselves. Not you. There's no logical reasoning here.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 2

Also, I'm not saying there's nothing to critizize. There's a lot to critizize. The pitch video wasn't great and they needed to present some more general information.

The *Old-School Fantasy Sci-Fi First Person RPG* should have been there from the beginning.

DFA was literary, *I want to do a Adventure*

Wasteland 2 was literary, "I want to do another Wasteland"

Project Eternity was literary "We want to do a spiritual successor to the IE games*

Nothing else. I was around for the first days of everyone of them. And again, they didn't "just copy paste*. They most likely saw that Obsidian's design worked and asked them to use it. The only one who has a right to be THAT upset about this is Obsidian themselves. Not you. There's no logical reasoning here.

I have the right to expect more before backing....

I was around since the countdown to PE first stated and we both know that Obsidian at least had some cryptic lore and puzzles going on and overall Obsidian's kickstarter page was a thousand times more thought out with a lot more effort placed into it.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg