PE already inspiring others

Yes. The problem is that I don't even know what kind of old school RPG it is going to be. Wizardry style? Anachronox? Baldur's Gate? Or maybe Rogue? I'm on the fence with this one, I must admit.

IT'S OLD SCHOOL. What more did you need? Considering their credentials it's obviously going to be a first-person, platforming tactical RPG.

More seriously, I won't put any money towards the game unless I know what they are going to make.

I mean if this was Obsidian I'd have thrown money at them even if I didn't have much information on the game. These guys? I don't know these guys.

Ye but they could wait until PE will end. Idea is good but people don't sleep on money if they waited they would have a chance. Now they will lose.
I think most people could afford to put down 20 euro to this, even with Project Eternity going on. Abstain from one night out drinking and you're have that and enough money left over for a cake! Edited by moridin84

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

I mean if this was Obsidian I'd have thrown money at them even if I didn't have much information on the game. These guys? I don't know these guys.

It's not just that I don't know them (although that's a big part of it), but also that something doesn't quite feel right about that Kickstarter. It most definitely is inspired more by Project Eternity than by Wasteland 2 or Double Fine -- they copied much of the page structure. Also, rather than presenting something and waiting to see if people will give them $1M, they've planned out the stretch goals past $2M. It's sort of the opposite problem that Obsidian had (the latter hit their goal almost immediately and had to scramble to come up with stretch goals).

It's not just that I don't know them (although that's a big part of it), but also that something doesn't quite feel right about that Kickstarter. It most definitely is inspired more by Project Eternity than by Wasteland 2 or Double Fine -- they copied much of the page structure. Also, rather than presenting something and waiting to see if people will give them $1M, they've planned out the stretch goals past $2M. It's sort of the opposite problem that Obsidian had (the latter hit their goal almost immediately and had to scramble to come up with stretch goals).

Oh, for the love of...

do you know how many Kickstarter campaigns there are? How many video game ones, even? How many successful ones have already come and gone?

They are "copying" PE as much as PE copied other KS campaigns.

People are all over the place everywhere, all acting like "experts" on how Kickstarter campaigns should be run.

"Project Eternity started off bad. Project Eternity didn't give enough information. They still aren't. Their stretch goals are wrong. Why are they offering X, it won't work."

"Project Eternity started a new trend! Everyone is copying it for how good it is."

Seriously. PE is doing fine, but didn't break the mold. "An Old School RPG" looks as much like PE's as it looks like Jane Jensen's or Diesel Sweetie's or the Ouya or the Pebble. There will be structural similarities. And when dealing with similar subject matter, there will be similar things referenced.

All the Kickstarter arm-chair quarterbacks out there....

Edited by Merin

Well, I'm unsure if my bank account can handle it, but I've pledged the basic $20.

It's really cool to see more old-school RPGs being made, and with both Commander Keen and DOOM being quite significant parts of my childhood (I've yet to play Anachronox, however, I really want to support Tom Hall. The recommendations from Notch, Avellone and Broussard helped in my decision too, and I really loved Notch's part in the pitch video.

Not very familiar with Wizardry or Brathwaite's name, but I like what I've found out from some quick wiki-research well enough.

Edited by JediMB

Something stirs within...

I won't be supporting this. I don't particularly like the old school First Person perspective in rpgs. I've always liked the isometric view of seeing my players and the enemy on the screen at once.

For good or ill it doesn't even look like they've even got that design decision down.

Im pledging some tentative support, but if i dont see a clear vision about what they want to do -- and them picking "whatever the fans want" won't cut it-- then ill be pulling my support sometime in the near future.

I won't be supporting this. I don't particularly like the old school First Person perspective in rpgs. I've always liked the isometric view of seeing my players and the enemy on the screen at once.

For good or ill it doesn't even look like they've even got that design decision down.

It says on their kickstarter page that it will be a first person rpg. I'm thinking it will be similar to Legend of Grimrock and previous 80s and 90s rpgs.

I think they'll make the 1 million before the end, despite the modest start. If they want to get anywhere close to 2 million though, they're really going to have to tidy things up a bit and give people a much better idea of their vision.

• Like 1

If anyone deserves credit, it's the one-two punch of Order of the Stick followed by Double Fine Adventure. Maybe the knock-out blow was Wasteland 2.

Project Eternity is actually coming in a bit late to the game.

The OotS Kickstarter really was impressive. Rich only wanted to raise $57,000 to reprint some of his books, and he got about $1.2 million. OotS demonstrated that an established online community can and will band together to support the thing that brought them together, and support it a hell of a lot.

DFA then demonstrated that game designers have loyal followings.

Wasteland 2 demonstrated that gamers will flock to the promise of old school gameplay, particularly if there's nostalgia involved.

Project Eternity demonstrated that even larger, well-established game developers can bypass traditional publishing.

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

Yes. The problem is that I don't even know what kind of old school RPG it is going to be. Wizardry style? Anachronox? Baldur's Gate? Or maybe Rogue? I'm on the fence with this one, I must admit.

IT'S OLD SCHOOL. What more did you need? Considering their credentials it's obviously going to be a first-person, platforming tactical RPG.

Brenda tweeted that it's a first-person interface like Wizardry.

They need to put that in the Kickstarter proposal.

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

It's only been a day and they've raised over 100K. I'm sure they'll make it. It's just not my type of rpg.

100K in a day is very little. The amount pledged will not increase at a constant rate. As a matter of fact the rate already almost halved. The initial trend for Old School RPG was just over 3.5M (mind you, trend not a projection). Do you know what was PE's initial trend? 23.5M. So, as I said, it is unfortunate, but if they don't do sth drastic, they may miss their goal.

It says it on their Kickstarter page.

"Old School RPG is a classic first-person, fantasy/sci-fi RPG brought to you by award-winning veterans."

They must have added that later, 'cause I was looking for that info after the campaign start and I couldn't find it anywhere. Altrnaively, I went blind for half an hour and missed it :p

Why exactly does every company insists on shooting themselves in the foot by starting a Kickstarter campaign while providing close to no information about the game itself? This is not only insulting to the other projects on the service who might have great working demos but not enough developers' renown, but also makes people hesitate.

Inspired...I'll say, they practically blatantly copy & pasted the PE Kickstarter. Not pledging before they give out more info.

Pretty much. And a second game as a kickstarter goal? That's a genuinely puzzling decision.

That said, I'm glad we're seeing a resurgence of classic cRPGs, I just hope we won't see an implosion.

Intrigued by this KS campaign but like others tentative about pledging until I see more info on their KS page.

In addition, while I liked Wizardary, for me that series didn't have the inspired writing and emotional pull of the BG series or other OBS games.

For me, this is a watch and see.

Plus am holding off additional pledges until I see how OBS revamp their reward tiers (hint, hint)....

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

do you know how many Kickstarter campaigns there are? How many video game ones, even? How many successful ones have already come and gone?

They are "copying" PE as much as PE copied other KS campaigns.

I don't know how many there are total, but I think I do know all of those which raised more than the $1M being asked: Double Fine, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Planetary Annihilation and Project Eternity. It is true that the pages of all of the later games (including Project Eternity) borrowed elements from the earlier ones, but I believe the similarities between this "Old School RPG" and Project Eternity go a bit beyond that. Also, I did not and do not claim any expertise regarding Kickstarters -- what I said was merely a description of how I personally feel about certain choices (e.g. publishing stretch goals for more than twice your base goal before the Kickstarter even begins).

Inspired...I'll say, they practically blatantly copy & pasted the PE Kickstarter. Not pledging before they give out more info.

Pretty much. And a second game as a kickstarter goal? That's a genuinely puzzling decision.

That said, I'm glad we're seeing a resurgence of classic cRPGs, I just hope we won't see an implosion.

Did nobody read my post or the kickstarter page? Because I'm pretty sure Obsidian doesn't mind or even helped them out with ideas.

91b4b7b23cb3597a29f5ca17d7442655_large.png?1348012942

Well, though. The second game thing is puzzeling.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

Well atm all kickstarter-game-projects have the plus that there is no "big" game out yet that was funded through kickstarter, so they can still surf on the hope of users because nobody was disappointed yet. As a matter of fact the budgets that were reached through kickstarter are just not as high as the ones of topgames and the developmentprocess with the fans will lead to a lot of compromises and I am sure not all of the games funded through kickstarter will really be top-games in the eyes of the funders (although I am sure Project Eternity will be just that :p), so they have to use the momentum as long as they are able to.

For me it sounds like **** with 2 games for 1, dungeoncrawler hack 'n slay and I don't see what they really want to say with "Old School RPG" and what differs compared to new New School RPGs, probably just that it has crappy graphics.

Brenda Brathewaite makes great games. Anyone who needs evidence should google her name and "Train" and then keep in mind that anything you read doesn't come close to the experience of actually playing it. I also got the chance to play her Irish Game, which is also quite an astonishing piece of work.

She worked on some of the original cRPGs, for crying out loud. Maybe her and her company's PR isn't so great, and they haven't figured out how to do the Kickstarter thing properly, but I will say that whatever game comes out of it is almost certainly going to be *good* if not great. Hell, Ian Bogost's endorsement is good enough, I think: their talent is wasted on Facebook games.