PE already inspiring others

i really liked anachronox and i think they may have something going, however i dont have the money to pledge on their project... the 40 i could spare + the 40 my bro gave me have gone to the 80$ tier of eternity. they really messed up their timing though. they should have waited for the eternity kickstarter to end, and then start their own, in order to avoid unneeded competition for those who cant afford to pledge on both

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

The only thing is that It looks hastily put together and is seems to be riding on the coat tails of kickstarter like PE. I did not like that they kept going...and we will make TWO games....TWO games...TWO games. Um, I would rather they focus on ONE game and if it does well then make another. They also didn't have any real info except basic bullet points of popular stuff. Although the permadeath is a turn off to me. Also, I get the feeling it will be more diablo hack and slash then exploration/NPC chatting..etc. So....I don't know. I did put in money, but because I do want more kickstarter to draw in more RPG games like wasteland, shadowrun, PE..etc. Luckily they had the early adopter $15 tier or I would have seriously probably not put money it.

In a related note, those of you who like space sims and played the original nexus and enjoyed it, there is a kickstarter for nexus 2 which takes place 25 years after the original. I know its not an RPG, but I loved the original and hope it gets funded and figured some of you might not have known about it.

• Like 4

Yes. The problem is that I don't even know what kind of old school RPG it is going to be. Wizardry style? Anachronox? Baldur's Gate? Or maybe Rogue? I'm on the fence with this one, I must admit.

Edited by norolim

They also haven't actually pitched the game itself. They haven't really described the kind of game they want to make. They mention the games they've worked on, but not what their vision is for the game they want to make now. Are they trying to continue the Wizardry series? A sort of Wizardry 9? They don't say. Not trying to be a faux-moderator, but does this thread really belong here? It seems kind of wrong to post it here.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

Seesm like you've already inspired others to start their own classic RPG Kickstarter campaign, Obsidian. You might really have started a renaissance in traditional RPGs :)

Uhm...

If anyone deserves credit, it's the one-two punch of Order of the Stick followed by Double Fine Adventure. Maybe the knock-out blow was Wasteland 2.

Project Eternity is actually coming in a bit late to the game.

"An Old School RPG" looks good to me. I'm at the min pledge right now (more due to lack of money than anything) but as more is released I may up when I can. Page looks fine to me, especially for a first day.

If anything, I think they put up too many stretch goals too early and have their "limited" tiers too big in number. Too much information up front.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd say it was Wasteland 2 that started the old-school RPG Renaissance and really the credit should go to Tim Schafer for starting the Game Genres Thought Dead Renaissance. Kickstarter was around before the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter, but DFA blew the roof of of it and introduced it to a whole bunch of people that had never heard of it before (I count myself in that group).

Edit: As far as this new Kickstarter campaign goes, I wish them all the luck and hope it succeeds, but I have doubts I will be able to pledge. I've pledged to so many Kickstarters that I'm really tapped out. Still there is over a month so never say never...

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Bad timing, imo. They should have waited a little after PE finished its kickstarter. Right now PE cannibalizes a lot of their potential backers.

Still...I'm definitely interested. Perhaps I'll cough up some money for this one as well. Won't be as much as I pledged for PE, though.

• Like 2

True. inXile must be counted in as the initiators, but it takes more than one to start a renaissance. As far as Double Fine? Although Tim deserves great credit, I was talking about the revival of the traditional RPG, not niche games as a whole.

• Like 1

When Project Eternity was first revealed, the developers managed to pitch their vision for a game in a clear and concise way so people had a pretty good idea what their money would be going towards. I was completely sold on that pitch.

What these guys are doing is asking money for a game (or maybe even two games ... :facepalm:) purely on the basis that it's "really oldschool". Sure, they can boast that their team has worked on some great games in the past, which does add weight to their pitch... but that alone isn't enough. When Obsidian mentioned games like Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale, it wasn't just to show their credibility; it was completely relevent to the project and really helped give people a clear idea of what kind of game they were aiming for.

Honestly, the whole impression I get from their kickstarter page is that they haven't thought this through much at all and are just trying to jump on the bandwagon.

Edited by Piccolo
  • Like 4

True. inXile must be counted in as the initiators, but it takes more than one to start a renaissance. As far as Double Fine? Although Tim deserves great credit, I was talking about the revival of the traditional RPG, not niche games as a whole.

Fair enough.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I wish anybody setting foot into the arena the best of luck. I might pitch in towards the end of their KS... after all some Jagged Alliance 2 designers are on it. And a fantasy version of JA2 would be pretty awesome.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The only two games the studio developed (according to their website) is a Facebook and a Google+ exclusive.

Hmm...You think they are pitching a Facebook game? ;)

But seriously, I honestly have no idea what to expect from them. And looking at the Kickstarter comments, even the backers are puzzled. I fear they may have a problem with reaching the 1.0M goal, if they don't reveal more details.

Edited by norolim

This is just cheap they want money for nothing actually this will just take money that could go for PE for game or even 2 WOW. I will only back PE not this piss of s*** that cannibalism.

PS. Is a bit weird that when PE started there was a info on DA 3 and now this just to hurt this game someone don't want for PE to get too much money.

This is just cheap they want money for nothing actually this will just take money that could go for PE for game or even 2 WOW. I will only back PE not this piss of s*** that cannibalism.

PS. Is a bit weird that when PE started there was a info on DA 3 and now this just to hurt this game someone don't want for PE to get too much money.

Uhhhhhm, this project is supported by Avellone at least and quite possible other Obsidian devs. And they've known about it before looking at Avellone's comment.

So, what?