Enough with the swords and rings

I say; Enough with the magical swords and rings. Lets see some maces and Warhammers, even helmets maybe some crossbows. Or what about the spear ?

The spear has served mankind for over three thousand years, doesnt it deserve some love and appreciation ? And who can forget the mighty Halberd the bane of any mounted knight.

sorry if it sounds a bit ranty I am just tired of seeing nothing but magical swords, ring and amulets, share the magic please.

I say; Enough with the magical swords and rings. Lets see some maces and Warhammers, even helmets maybe some crossbows. Or what about the spear ?

The spear has served mankind for over three thousand years, doesnt it deserve some love and appreciation ? And who can forget the mighty Halberd the bane of any mounted knight.

sorry if it sounds a bit ranty I am just tired of seeing nothing but magical swords, ring and amulets, share the magic please.

Totally bro

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

I know that feel, bro. Personally, I really like swords, but I'm tired of the way recent games dumb down weapons to like two or three categories. Like, I love spears and pole arms, but we hardly ever get them anymore in CRPGs. And if we do get them, they usually suck. Bring this dark age of melee weapon diversity to an end, Obsidian! Bring us the glaives and naginatas and pikes and guan daos that we have been yearning for!

(sorry, I just got back from lunch and I probably had too much caffeine)

I have to admit that in most games I've played, hardly anyone seems to choose the weapons like spears and halberds...simply because a sword/shield combo is typically perceived as better in terms of stats and protection gained. But I'm sure some 2H weapons and other ranged outside of the longbow etc will be in there so you can use them as an option. Can't imagine why there wouldn't be.

I think it'd be kinda neat to come across an enemy band who used halberds and formed a hedgehog as a defensive move against a melee rush. Not saying it's practical for this type of game, perhaps, but it'd be funny to see. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have to admit that in most games I've played, hardly anyone seems to choose the weapons like spears and halberds...simply because a sword/shield combo is typically perceived as better in terms of stats and protection gained. But I'm sure some 2H weapons and other ranged outside of the longbow etc will be in there so you can use them as an option. Can't imagine why there wouldn't be.

I think it'd be kinda neat to come across an enemy band who used halberds and formed a hedgehog as a defensive move against a melee rush. Not saying it's practical for this type of game, perhaps, but it'd be funny to see. :lol:

I too tend to use one handed weapons, and my favorite (on main characters) are katana(s) where applicable or just 1handed longswords.

I'd like to try some long weapons like flamberges, halberds and such, but the pro of such weapons is the bonus range, and usually, in games, that is not taken into account.

Unless it's an acRPG (Demon Souls was quite good with long weapons) but then usually you just need to manually dodge anything and you can just go around with a butterknife for what it matters.

Edited by DocDoomII

I love swords though I know many knights used axes and maces in reality. But I like the look and the design of swords.

That's because a sword could get stuck in the opponent armor or bones if the swing cut really deep.

With a mace you crush things and it's more difficult to get stuck. A good hit on the helmet could be fatal.

I think about it that way, at least.

I'm a sword and shield kind of player myself usually. The thing about spears though is that they were used in conjunction with a shield for ages. Games always tend to treat them as two-handed weapons only though. I think it is because weapons in most games only fall into two categories of either one- or two-handed. I like to see spears treat as optionally using it either way. Perhaps one-handed with a shield you do less damage with it but you have the extra protection but then you could drop your shield and wield the spear with both hands for more powerful thrust. Same could be done with bastard swords also.

Can we only have one or the other?

I like swords and rings, but I see no reason why we can not have the other things you suggested additionally. But let me say, this is a high fantasy game with a late medieval theme, I expect to get my sword, shield and rings.

What I do not want to see is large quantities of magical items, it lessens the value of normal items, effectively making them vendor trash.

if spears could actually be useful somehow as reach weapons, I think it would work.

Maybe if a spear could be used to shove an enemy away, stealing their attack action, and maybe leaving them prone, before every stab - it might be useful.

Otherwise what's the point of wielding a long, heavy, slow, if damaging weapon, when I can have better defense and attack speed with a sword?

They need something unique.

I'm a sword and shield kind of player myself usually. The thing about spears though is that they were used in conjunction with a shield for ages. Games always tend to treat them as two-handed weapons only though. I think it is because weapons in most games only fall into two categories of either one- or two-handed. I like to see spears treat as optionally using it either way. Perhaps one-handed with a shield you do less damage with it but you have the extra protection but then you could drop your shield and wield the spear with both hands for more powerful thrust. Same could be done with bastard swords also.

Good point about the spear/shield. Most of the time it seems games focus on the heavier long-spear I guess. Weren't spears used with shields typically of the shorter versions, aka javelin type spears? Come to think of it, slightly off-topic, it might be interesting to have javelins in the game as another ranged option with bows and slingshots. Throwing axes too. Don't know if that would start to be unwieldy or too much work, however.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

At very least I hope that companions use weapons that fit their personalities. Planescape handled that exceptionally well. I don't know if we necessarily need to see teeth return as a weapon or only have 1 sword in the entire game again, but I'd love if swords weren't an accepted default just because that's what audiences expect.

Edited by Wolfenbarg
  • Like 1

I love swords though I know many knights used axes and maces in reality. But I like the look and the design of swords.

That's because a sword could get stuck in the opponent armor or bones if the swing cut really deep.

With a mace you crush things and it's more difficult to get stuck. A good hit on the helmet could be fatal.

I think about it that way, at least.

In the Middle Ages swords were mostly thrusting or even blunting weapons and not cutting weapons. The very heavy and large swords of the Middle Ages (Longsword, Bidenhänder, Broadsword) were often used the same way as hammers or maces but mainly for thrusting - in fact the later version weren't even sharp in most cases (rapiers). So the animation in games isn't always historically correct because the swinging of swords was quite unusual. The reason for not using swords is simple: the effective usage of swords needed a lot of training and thrusting wasn't always the most effective way of fighting in the heat of the battle against heavily armoured oppontens in full plate. Swords are good in a duel - man against man - but not in a big battle unless you are very well trained, fight in formation or fight on horseback.

35167v4.jpg

The typical roman soldier had two swords, shield and at least two javelins.

I would love to play as a phalanx, huge shield and a spear.

Shield and spear only makes sense when fighting in a big formation of several dozends or hundred men - like the Greek Phalanx as you said. But even the Phalanx fighters used their spears only in the very beginning of the battle or against enemies on horseback. In the head-to-head encounter they fought mostly with their second weapon, the short sword.

But the waeponry of the ancient world is quite different to the one in the Middle Ages an the Renaissance because there were also some very different armor techniques. Fighting with a short sword is quite useless against an opponent in full plate and fighting with a spear can be very ineffective in narrow rooms and against very agile enemies. And even on the battlefield you can only fight in "one direction" with a spear because of its long body and its movement. Against attacks from the side there is very little defense possible (another reason why spear fighting is most suitable for formations).

35167v4.jpg

What? As far as I can recall, every fantasy RPG game I've played has had multiple magical weapons/trinkets, not just swords and rings. :getlost:

Aye, but often the 'other' weapons don't get as much love when it comes to enhancements/bonuses. It's tough to stick to your beloved halberd when the longswords are getting all the good magic boosts.

On a side note, I'm hoping the game will take into account weapon reach, thus making them more attractive for some characters.

• Like 1

On a side note, I'm hoping the game will take into account weapon reach, thus making them more attractive for some characters.

Exaclty, if I jump you with a pike that's long twice your sword you should be quite ad a disadvantage!