$80-110 Physical Collector's Edition Tier?

As a collector of games foremost, and a wearer of T-Shirts second... I have been hoping to see my "sweet spot" for a physical collector's edition of this game appear for about $100, like my other two KickStarts.

Currently the $140 Tier is understandably $140 due to the inclusion of things that aren't of high interest to me:

• PROJECT ETERNITY T-SHIRT
  • SPECIAL THANKS IN GAME CREDITS
  • THANK YOU POSTCARD FROM THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM

I see comments expressing interest in a similar tier, and stronger interest in the Cloth Patch & Cloth Map, than the T-Shirt. I have kept an eye out here, and scanned the forums for a post like this and didn't find it, so here you go.

The $80-$110 Physical Collector's Tier (You determine price):

I think this tier would fit well within your current structure and obviously not require any creation of additional product/repackaging you weren't already offering. It would certainly get a pledge bump from me. Maybe others too. So for clarity, it certainly should include:

• COLLECTOR'S EDITION BOX
  • CLOTH MAP OF THE GAME WORLD
  • PROJECT ETERNITY CLOTH PATCH
  • PREVIOUS REWARD TIERS DIGITAL FUN PACK, NOVELLA, MISC. EXTRAS

And, at your discretion, optionally include or remove the following to set the price from $80-$110:

• SECOND DIGITAL COPY OF GAME FOR FRIEND
  • BETA ACCESS KEY

Thanks for your time and no problem if not!

@dlux: I agree. Hence why I did call for not repackaging, or changing the collector's edition in any way. Notice, the $140 tier includes the T-Shirt, Post Card and Special thanks from the $100 Tier. So, it would be the same Collector's Edition.

@SqueakyCat: Yeah, thought of it but didn't want to call myself out. However, I did research & think about it before posting to see how bad it could be. My logic was the following: The 2,241 backers currently @ $140 paled in comparison versus the 45,000+ backers that were currently below the $140 tier could be enough justification to offer another mid-level tier.

Even if you go only $65-$110, that's 3,903 backers to gain vs. 2,241 @ $140 Tier... But it's not like the $140 Tier doesn't offer other incentives to stay. (Which I carefully indicated should be the case).

But, you're still right. We don't know and it could be a loss. I just think more options for getting exactly what you want for the most you'd be willing to pay is one of the greatest things about kickstarter and was hoping to apply it here as well. We'll see.

It may cause you raise your pledge, but others would reduce their pledge from $140 if they can get the same Collector's Edition at a lower price.

It works both ways and, in the end, probably wouldn't help Obsidian, and may even result in a net loss.

This. I'm at $140 for the boxed game.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Like mentioned by others, it would probably make some people downgrade their pledges, and while more people might actually up their pledges eventually, in the short term it would probably cause the total pledge funds to decrease a bit, which wouldn't be good publicity.

It's a nice idea though, it's just that the execution of it might bring mixed results, or just end up as a negative.

Edit: Personally I'm at the 250 tier, plus postage fees, and an extra 8 for the Obsidian Order.

Edited by Archmage Silver

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

I am in the $65 tier. I want the cloth map as an add-on option.

For Lauski: This might work with the regular box from the $65 tier. The Collectors box should stay in the $140 tier which should keep that tier users from reducing their pledge.

Edited by daz23

I'd love a 100$-140$ tier without:

PROJECT ETERNITY T-SHIRT

SPECIAL THANKS IN GAME CREDITS

THANK YOU POSTCARD FROM THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM

(maybe also the beta)

And instead with the Softcover Collector book (because I can't spend 250$ (without counting the shipping fees and import taxes) to have it).

No. Soon there would be more Collector's Editions on market than ordinary boxes. What kind of Collector's Edition is that? If you want it, you have to pay for it. T-shirt, postcard and special thanks in credits cost them nearly nothing so don't think they are going to give everything else on that tier for 80-110$. I would definitively lower my pledge if that happened. Actually I already considered doing so after they started selling Beta-keys to lower tiers since that was one of main reasons I upped my pledge in the first place.

Seriously: No more alms Obsidian. Don't dig ground from beneath your feet.

Edited by Haerski

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

I'd like the $100 reward and the $25 beta access but I can't afford it with $20 shipping. What's with all these Kickstarters charging $20 for shipping anyway, are they filling the boxes with rocks? Two Kickstarters, one already received, had free shipping. It's not in line with usual shipping costs to my country either, I would normally be expecting to pay more like $10.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

I'm guessing the shipping rates are like that to try and cover some of the higher international shipping rates. It seems to make sense to go with the higher amount so they don't end up losing money when shipping everything. I'd imagine the packaging is also included in that amount, since I doubt they would have a ton of postal boxes or whatever they'll send things in just sitting around.

I'm fine with things as they are now, the way I see it is that the prices aren't really meant to reflect the cost of producing the actual items. Rather the price is the amount you're willing to invest in trying to see this game made, and for your faith in them you get all these incentives thrown in. Of course from a buyers point of view people are mostly going to try and see it as this item costs this amount to create and so should only add this much onto the total amount.

No. Soon there would be more Collector's Editions on market than ordinary boxes. What kind of Collector's Edition is that? If you want it, you have to pay for it. T-shirt, postcard and special thanks in credits cost them nearly nothing so don't think they are going to give everything else on that tier for 80-110$. I would definitively lower my pledge if that happened. Actually I already considered doing so after they started selling Beta-keys to lower tiers since that was one of main reasons I upped my pledge in the first place.

Seriously: No more alms Obsidian. Don't dig ground from beneath your feet.

Well, for starters you seem most sore about about the beta access key. I'd like to point out I wasn't requiring them to include it. I'd rather prefer they didn't, since I don't care about BETA. I just presented my question as flexibly as possible, with room for them to work, and room for everyone to voice opinions / suggestions, was all.

Next well, I don't really think we think of Collector's Editions the same way. I think in fact, with digital distribution mechanisms as pervasive as they are nowadays for PC Games, requiring online activation, etc. anyway... giving a "Collector" boost to what you get when you purchase the physical version is what helps holds interest in having it. I know it does for me. I don't think anyone is purchasing these kits for future resale value.

I start to feel wasteful when I can have the same thing I'm paying $60 for, pre-downloaded and be good to go at midnight of a release. I mainly have chosen the $65 tier so far since a lot of the neat digital bonuses + justification in helping Obsidian out came in to play.

But, it's there I'd like to make my point. My desire to help Obsidian out via this pre-purchase, with no review of the game, nor contractual obligation for them to make good on promises, or a product at all for that matter sort of "cancels out", or "calls it even" with my desire to spend big to get upper tiers.

And if you look at other KickStarts: Double Fine Adventure, WasteLand 2, and Project Fedora's $100 Tiers, you can see that they get it. They know you're taking a chance on them to make their product a reality, especially the risk.... Spending @ those tiers should be really exciting. They're a bit better, than what I've seen offered here so far.

I can't help but look at Double Fine's 11,500 backers @ $100, or the 5,218 backers for WasteLand 2's $100 and feel like Obsidian might have a little more to gain with the right adjustments.

Again, this is all just an opinion, I respect everyone else's, the need to preserve value in all other tiers above & below, and also will happily remain pledged @ $65 and, continue to consider spending $140 on something I haven't seen yet. :)

But, it's there I'd like to make my point. My desire to help Obsidian out via this pre-purchase, with no review of the game, nor contractual obligation for them to make good on promises, or a product at all for that matter sort of "cancels out", or "calls it even" with my desire to spend big to get upper tiers.

We are all taking a leap of faith - how far that leap will take you depends heavily on your personal 'disposable cash'.

I would like the $3,000 level and all its shinies, but sadly I can't. However, I'm not going to ask to have more included on my chosen level, which would only diminish the value of the tiers above me.

We are all taking a leap of faith - how far that leap will take you depends heavily on your personal 'disposable cash'.

I would like the $3,000 level and all its shinies, but sadly I can't. However, I'm not going to ask to have more included on my chosen level, which would only diminish the value of the tiers above me.

Sure. Of course. But to make your point you painted an extreme. To make my point, I used 3 other successful KickStarter examples.

You do not know, nor am I saying, at what level I have pledged, but it certainly is not an 'extreme' example. It's quite appropriate actually.

Just like people, every Kickstarter is different with different goals and different minimum requirements to make their proposed game.

Just let it go, reallly.

I'm

You do not know, nor am I saying, at what level I have pledged, but it certainly is not an 'extreme' example. It's quite appropriate actually.

Just like people, every Kickstarter is different with different goals and different minimum requirements to make their proposed game.

Just let it go, reallly.

It seemed the implication in your post was that you were pledged at a tier significantly less than the $3,000 and were saying you'd want them to give you everything the $3,000 tier had, ignoring the other tiers. That did seem extreme to me.

I'm not sure what else you want me to let go. From my first response to you, I even said you might be right. I have tried to make it clear that I welcome any disagreements, but just don't want my carefully thought out idea simply dismissed because the first to reply disagree. I'd just like Obsidian to have the ability to check it out is all. I've been thinking about it since Day 1 when I pledged.

And you're right, all the projects are different and for whatever reasons (Previous KS Projects setting the bar, personal situation, faith in Obsidian, etc.) I'm at where I'm at. Tried to be upfront there too. I'm just telling them how they can get more money out of me and trying my best to keep it fair and in-line with the framework they've already laid out.

I'm guessing the shipping rates are like that to try and cover some of the higher international shipping rates. It seems to make sense to go with the higher amount so they don't end up losing money when shipping everything. I'd imagine the packaging is also included in that amount, since I doubt they would have a ton of postal boxes or whatever they'll send things in just sitting around.

I'm fine with things as they are now, the way I see it is that the prices aren't really meant to reflect the cost of producing the actual items. Rather the price is the amount you're willing to invest in trying to see this game made, and for your faith in them you get all these incentives thrown in. Of course from a buyers point of view people are mostly going to try and see it as this item costs this amount to create and so should only add this much onto the total amount.

I doubt there's much demand from anywhere that's more costly than Europe, so I don't think it's to cover higher shipping costs. Also, why does the US get free shipping? Unless the shipping cost is included in the pledge tier cost, and the +$20 shipping fee is even worse than I first thought. It seems like some people are getting more incentive to donate than others, for little reason.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Where is it indicated I was supporting any given level?

You should read before you type. It was an 'example' with the point being that the tiers are established with certain perks. If they start giving lower tiers items that are exclusive to a higher tier, it will cause a great deal of discontent and rightfully so.

All anyone can do is pledge what is comfortable for their circumstances. I'm sure everyone would like to be able to afford the higher tiers -- that's just a given. However, without incentive to people who can afford those upper levels in the form of exclusive perks, their funding would suffer and the incentive to pledge at the upper tiers would disappear.

Again, I would like an exclusive item from the tier above me, but I can't afford it. I'm certainly not going to ask for it simply because I want it or ask them to create a tier in-between to include it (negating the exclusivity to the tier above me).

You have been shown the obvious flaw(s) in your carefully thought out plan. Is there any point to continuing this?

Edited by SqueakyCat

Ye-ow.

Again, just picked it up from you having said, "your chosen level" in the first post. Pretty easy to misread either the way I did, in my defense.

But I gotcha. They set up their tiers as they did initially, and that takes the greatest priority for shaping things moving forward. I'd be negatively impacting others and their tiers no matter what, with such a change. You and I are good, and for all intents and purposes the we can even consider my suggestion retracted.

In closing, I'll just say If there's still talk of other tiers being cooked up still... something different that could be had at $100 in the physical goods dept., consider me interested.

Thanks everyone for your input.