Kickstarter for Old-school RPG manned by Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall

C2B

The latest updates are making it come together more for me.

But now I stumbled over the nearing ending Sword of Fargoal 2 kickstarter (a sequel to a roguelike game I loved back in the C64 days by the original creator). Why must all of these come together????

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Before the last update I was hopeful that while the exploration mode would be first person, the combat mode would switch to an isometric view - think the likes of Pools of Radiance or Betrayal at Krondor. Alas, seems it's more Eye of the Beholder/Might and Magic style which doesn't play well for me at all.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The more and more like Might and Magic the gameplay feels, the more likely I am to pitch in at least $15. I really liked those games. I still need more updates tho...it'll probably come down to the wire before I make a decision.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i am guessing that there will be cyberpunk and dystopia elements in this game?

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

The Might and Magic series always felt a bit more like an action game than a RPG. Not that it didn't have a story and quests and chr. building and all of that. But pretty much I spent all my time in the game ... walking around and fighting stuff. Wasn't much in the way of interesting dialogues or quirky characters or what have you. Still...I liked them a lot for the action I guess. And the spell system.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I pledged 15$. I loved that you could fly in M&M VII then cast all your spells on the creatures below. I loved also going with invisibility in the giant Titn stronghold, dodging groups of titans and dragons to catch artifacts and sometimes being caught and destroyed in a round of combat. Fun times.

Well, looks like they cancel the KS campaign. It's a shame that they cut it with 16 days to go but heck... Good luck to them.

My Obsidian Order title really belongs to my cat who is cute since day one and she built her attitude around it.

I'm a bit disappointed because they started to do a much better job with their pitch. This was the 6th RPG in 6 months to come on KickStarter that I was interested in, and there's 6 more that look like good projects that just aren't for me. I think crowd funding fatigue, competition (saturation really), and a poor starting pitch doomed this. I never played any of the developers RPGs either, although I had been following Brenda on twitter for a few months before the KickStarter, although I have never played Wasteland, I know who Fargo, Stackpole, and Anderson are, they're legends. If you're not TIm Schafer, Obsidian, or Brian Fargo, you're not going to be able to ask for $400,000 or more, and you're going to have to come to the table with a lot more than they did.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

The right decision in the end, at least in terms of my own selfish interests. Even when they started to flesh out what they were doing, what I didn't see was a genuinely compelling reason as to *why* I would play this over anything that came before. What improvements are they bringing to the table given all that's possible now that wasn't possible in the past?

Now I acknowledge that for some, the promise of a new game just like the old one may be enough to get them to commit. I tend to come from a different angle from a lot of traditional RPG enthusiasts in that for the most part, I don't have particularly fond memories of most design aspects of those games. They're invaluable from the perspective of being a signpost, but *not* as a manual as to how to make a new game. And I certainly don't exempt the Infinity Engine games from that view - throughout the last month, the least compelling arguments about the design direction of Project Eternity have been the ones along the lines of "it worked well enough like that in the IE games".

The point is that, yes, perhaps the industry as a whole has taken some wrong turns throughout the past decade and a half. Yes, we should retrace our steps to see where we went wrong. But we don't just get back to that point and stop. We forge a new way, different, but forward. So in terms of Shaker, my view is this: we've seen their pitch for the old-school side of their plans, but I'd like to see them regroup and see them show us the new side of that coin.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm a bit disappointed because they started to do a much better job with their pitch. This was the 6th RPG in 6 months to come on KickStarter that I was interested in, and there's 6 more that look like good projects that just aren't for me. I think crowd funding fatigue, competition (saturation really), and a poor starting pitch doomed this. I never played any of the developers RPGs either, although I had been following Brenda on twitter for a few months before the KickStarter, although I have never played Wasteland, I know who Fargo, Stackpole, and Anderson are, they're legends. If you're not TIm Schafer, Obsidian, or Brian Fargo, you're not going to be able to ask for $400,000 or more, and you're going to have to come to the table with a lot more than they did.

I agree with mst of these post, though Tom Hall is certainly a legend. (Commander Keen, Doom, Anarchranox) The problem I see is that he probably isn't that much for rpg fans as Anarchranox (while fantastic) still seems to be that title a lot of people just never heard about/didn't try out. Possible because of Daikatana.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

"we decided that it made more sense to kill it and come back with something stronger."

...Wise decision.

I'm a little disappointed, because I actually really liked the sound of the game once they told us more about it besides it being "really oldschool". That opening pitch completely crippled the campaign though, along with bad timing.

I'm a little disappointed, because I actually really liked the sound of the game once they told us more about it besides it being "really oldschool". That opening pitch completely crippled the campaign though, along with bad timing.

Agreed, having the campaign overlap the Project Eternity campaign by so much was definitely detrimental, but more than anything the way they pitched the game and how vague it was is what really was the death blow.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I agree with mst of these post, though Tom Hall is certainly a legend. (Commander Keen, Doom, Anarchranox) The problem I see is that he probably isn't that much for rpg fans as Anarchranox (while fantastic) still seems to be that title a lot of people just never heard about/didn't try out. Possible because of Daikatana.

Yeah, that's my point. I don't think even I would have backed Obsidian making a flight sim or RTS. I haven't played Anarchranox and from reading the wikipedia page it had problems.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Maybe they just forgotten to hit a button?

It's kind of a shame to give up so early, even if it didn't seem likely to reach its goal. Could have waited another week. But I can understand...sometimes it is better to regroup and start over.