Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you want well balanced companions?

companions stats balance

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Companion abilities poll (140 member(s) have cast votes)

I'd like my companions to

1. Strictly adhere to the same rules as PC (21 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

2. Follow the same rules, but have unique features or feats (84 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. Have their own rules, but be balanced in efficiency (21 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

4. Be wildly different in their abilities (12 votes [8.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

5. Something else (2 votes [1.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Hypevosa

Hypevosa

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hypevosa DSG
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's a simple check:

On initiating dialogue with normal NPC
If Monster in party = very yes
Then NPC reaction = "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
NPC Flees.

You don't need to modify every NPC in the game, just have it so that the game checks before you initiate dialogue what's going on.

On doors for large creatures you just give it a value where it accepts a large creature or not, and, if that value is false, the game says you cannot enter since a member of your party cannot fit.

It doesn't have to be a horrible amount of programming if you have an efficient system to begin with.

I take it you never did scripting for BG or NWN, right?
If you did, you'd know better.

On another point is that the only reaction there will be?
(unimportant) NPC fleeing? Surely that makes the companion tottaly balanced!

Large creture cannot enter? How do you do quests taking palce indoors then? You'd have to switch companions constatnly. And I'm willing to bet that would case a lot of player rage.

No, I didn't do scripting for BG or NWN, but it is possible to make the effects occur in a simple manner without having to edit every NPC's files. If NPCs turn and watch you, getting ready for you to talk to them, then there's clearly somewhere you could shove in a party check before dialogue actually initiates. Or you just have it be a line of sight thing with most NPCs, and only have disciplined/important NPCs be willing to stand their ground as the giant walks down the street.

And really, that should likely be the response for any "normal" NPC, with guards likely having a different response, etc. Before initiating the dialogue, check if the NPC is unique or just your average peasant, if they're unique, they likely have their own response to the fact the monster is in the party, be that turning hostile, having a moment where they stutter in fear, or whatever you have.

And large creatures not fitting through a door could be helped with a minimize spell (something useful for getting into tiny places for cool loot, and also makes you harder to hit and you more likely to hit) They'd obviously lose some of their awesomeness for a while, but you'd get to at least have them there... and if it wasn't worth your time to get or prepare said minimize spell then you can just tell them to wait for you until you get back. Or you can decide it's not worth your time to try and keep them and just let them go for another, less powerful/interesting NPC. The point is you're making the trade off - if they're worth the effort, you gain the benefit, but if they're not to you then it's at your discretion to do away with them in whatever manner your PC would see fit.

DocDoomII

DocDoomII

Archvillain of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 844 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:DocDoomII
  • Kickstarter Backer
In the old IE games dialogue were not 'scripted'.
They were organized in a 'giant' file the dialog.tlk and they were conceptualized like a huge tree with various flags check at every branch of the discussion.

If my mind still assists me. My times of dabbling with Infinity Explorer are long gone.

Edited by DocDoomII, 03 October 2012 - 01:20 PM.

Hypevosa

Hypevosa

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hypevosa DSG
  • Kickstarter Backer
I've meddled enough to know about the dialog.tlk - you'd need to have some new entries where the giant being the party would change the reference to them instead.

Jarmo

Jarmo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Well.. dammit.

Ok, so the <100 votes is not everybody in the world, but I'm obviously in the minority. Again.

metiman

metiman

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 492 posts
I was just thinking what an interesting companion a ghost character like Deionarra would make. Or how about a vampiric mist? Maybe an Owlbear or some kind of birdman. Human companions are boring.

Pope

Pope

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1375 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

To each his own. I presonally do not like such extreeme/unique companions, and prefer to have more "normal" parties.
I hae a tendance to ditch companions that stand out like a sour tumb because they are a giant golem, or demon or whatever-super-special-snowflake they are.

And while I guess you could balance them in some creative ways - it would require building the whole game around it - adding more programing and mechanics just for them.

IMHO, waste of limited resources.

Kinda depends on the game's general atmosphere, imo.

Demons and golems would've indeed been a bit out of place in the low-level game that was BG1.
In contrast, in MotB these sort of characters added much to the epic vibe.

Ninjamestari

Ninjamestari

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 710 posts
Companion characters should have lots of interesting features besides combat abilities; your companions should affect a lot of things you can do in the game. Maybe that old wizard isn't that great in combat, but he might know a lot of secrets he's willing to teach you, help you summon extraplanar entities to make deals with, open up questlines, maybe he'll use those insane divination spells of his to grant you information which might give you a unique approach to some story situation. He might be able to detect magical traps, identify your items, craft you wands, write scrolls and brew potions as more directly useful abilities.

My point is that there are other ways to make a companion useful and balanced besides balancing their combat efficiency. The main problem with crpgs these days is their heavy focus on combat; everything is shaped and defined around combat. Even though I might be repeating myself by saying this, I think that combat should only be one part of an rpg. I feel that one part dialogue and character interaction, one part exploration and one part combat is a rather good mix. If the game content is versatile enough, then combat balance becomes a moot point when it comes to companions and character classes.
  • DocDoomII likes this

Crooked Bee

Crooked Bee

Bee of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

NPCs should follow the actual rules barring possible story/character based exceptions. That means, if the npc is of a playable race they should follow the basic rules. if the companion happens to be a golem, demon, or some other fantastical creature beyond NPC character rules than so be it - they should get all the benefits and setbacks of their race. Of course, a demon should not be joining a low level party as to not make the power base out of whack. ie. By the time you get a demon to join, it should be around the same power level.

This.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: companions, stats, balance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users