Request: Please make the game easily moddable

As of that last podcast, they stated no mod toolset (http://www.nwnpodcast.com/nwnp/2012/09/29/nwnp-podcast-episode-168-obsidian-entertainment-project-eternity-kickstarter/).

I understand they must focus resouces on making a good single player experience this go around but I humbly ask that they make the game easily moddable. In the IE games, you could alter significant game mechanics just by editting text files. It would be awesome if we could do the same here even if they do not release a bunch of user friendly tools.

They might also consider tacking mod tools on as a stretch goal. Heck, if people are willing to pay for it...

T'would be a pity but honestly it might be sequel territory. Supporting a toolset is a whole extra program they would have to create and support, troubleshoot and so on. If they only have it for themselves then their versions need only be as functional as required and can be as complex/abstract as they desire. Whilst I would love mod tools I can understand the rationale in not releasing them at least with this title.

• Like 1

Maybe some certain aspects, not necessarily a toolset on Area modding but easy access to the Area files, the Character Models. But that's all on how Obsidian organize the files, encrypt them and all that in the Unity Engine. I would love to see an "Area" folder so I can add in Area content :D

Way too early discussion I think. Way too early~ 3 weeks.

I'm actually hoping they don't do this for the initial release because it would bleed off already scarce resources. It may be better to wait and see if this is a commercial success, then look at the modding option as a way to maintain long-term fan interest. I'd rather them build a game engine that is readily extensible so they can back-port any added features to the first release.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm actually hoping they don't do this for the initial release because it would bleed off already scarce resources. It may be better to wait and see if this is a commercial success, then look at the modding option as a way to maintain long-term fan interest. I'd rather them build a game engine that is readily extensible so they can back-port any added features to the first release.

I wish they'd just put it in as a stretch goal like most other companies. At this point I don't find the stretch goals they're listing to be very... stretchablly attractive.

Put in Modding Support? I'll throw in extra cash, otherwise, wake me up when its done.

• Like 1

As of that last podcast, they stated no mod toolset (http://www.nwnpodcas...ty-kickstarter/).

I understand they must focus resouces on making a good single player experience this go around but I humbly ask that they make the game easily moddable. In the IE games, you could alter significant game mechanics just by editting text files. It would be awesome if we could do the same here even if they do not release a bunch of user friendly tools.

They might also consider tacking mod tools on as a stretch goal. Heck, if people are willing to pay for it...

The way Inxile's doing it is the best. Don't need the modkit upon release. Waiting till they're finished with the game to work on it beyond extremely basic file prep is fine. Toss it in as the 3-3.5 mil stretchgoal and if it's reached, that's awesome. Otherwise, no big deal.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."