I've had an idea for a thread. It's simple, but might be fun. It could even be useful to Obsidian, giving them an insight into what people have loved about RPG's.

So what's your best RPG memory? Could be PnP, CRPG, even LARPs. Could be happy, angry, something that drew out emotions. Doesn't matter, just an experience you think of fondly.

Here's one of mine...

I would have to say my favorite memory was the mechanics in The Bard's Tale 2. Specifically, two of them...

1. One of the best examples of character progression I'd ever seen, the Mages. In The Bard's Tale, there's 4-5 classes of Mage, you select one, and once you reach a certain level you can switch to another class. Ultimately, at very high levels, you have access to spells from all 4-5 classes. It really felt like I had choices in how my Character developed, like I had something to strive for other than "Just another level".

2. Magic items. Magic Items in The Bard's Tale didn't tell you what they did. Additionally, Mana didn't regenerate in the darkness. So I'm wandering around in the depths of a dungeon (Fanskar's fortress), lost, with no mana left, and a Fighter with almost no health. Suddenly, something clicks in my head, and I realize my Mage suddenly has Mana! I had equipped a Mage Staff, and just suddenly realized it had the unadvertised ability of regenerating mana! I actually managed to get out of that one alive.

For the PnP guys...

We had just discovered D&D (The D&D that existed during the 80's, think Red Box). We played for weeks, and eventually found a "Wheel of fortune". My friends and I then spent the rest of the night daring each other to take "Just one more spin" and betting on the outcome that the Player spinning would experience. We ended up with near-useless characters by the end of the night, but it was alot of fun taking the chance of spinning one more time.

My favorite memory was playing a PnP game of Rifts. The group were superhumans who were doing battle with vampires in Mexico. We ended up destroying roughly half of the world. Glorious.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It would be one of several Jagged Alliance 2 situations, if you consider that an RPG. Probably the best game ever created.

Otherwise, shortly into my first playthrough of Fallout NV, I started running completely off the beaten path and ran up this hill. When I got to the top I'm surprised to see this sprawling prison complex just as the music gets really loud and ominous as if it were part of a film. It was either a completely random interlude or a brilliant effect. I had no idea this place was there.

Edited by Chaos Theory

I like those feel good moments when something positive gets accomplished despite all the odds. It could be solving a challenging puzzle, finally being victorious in an interesting tactical situation, winning the friendship of a likeable NPC, or rescuing the princess from an evil fortress.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The cut scene after my battle with Ravel (that confrontation was on a whole other level too). I was utterly gobsmacked.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

First time I experienced Planescape Torment. Not the game or the story per se, but the visuals, the art direction, the music, the entire surrealness of the Planescape universe. It made it easy to overlook the many flaws in the game mechanics.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There's this part in Mass Effect 2 where you get to shove a merc out a window. God that was brilliant.

:p

Love the ME games... Also thought the scenes in ME3 where you and Garrus are shooting bottles, and the other with you and Liara discussing the time capsule were bits of outstanding writing.

Edited by Chaos Theory

For me it would have to be the first time I completed the Bhaalspawn saga, taking my lowly PC from Candlekeep in BG1 + ToSC, then through to BG2 and finally ToB, ending up at what I thought at the time was the most epic battle to end all epic battles. To see the reactions of the NPCs I had brought with me and to find out where they end up before the credits roll. I haven't played an RPG that gave me such a feeling of wonderous accomplishment yet.

I really hope PE can top that rush of emotion I felt way back then :)

• Like 1

Oh, that's a hard one. So many good memories and so very few of them involving other people.

It was playing Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark, during the fight with Vix'thra I had good old Valen and Deekin doing the distracting while I ran straight for the phylactery. And the two bone golems guarding it started bashing my squishy little sorceress into a pulp when Valen comes rushing in and dispatches them in quick order and it was just such an awesome rescue I started laughing. Then it struck me that he was supposed to be keeping Vix'thra busy when lo and behold it drops down from the ceiling on top of us.

Deekin was dead in a corner somewhere by that point.

Good times, good times.

I give Icewind Dale special mention as well, because I was, like, seven when I first started playing that game. I had no idea what the heck I was supposed to be doing, but I loved making new characters. Over and over and over again.

In fact, most of my memories of RPGs are from when I was really young.

Most vivid memory is still of my very first character I ever played in a PnP game with some friends in 7th grade. I had no idea what the hell I was doing, but somehow managed to charge an ogre with my half-elven ranger and his trusty Halberd (why was I using a halberd? I have no idea.) rolled a natural twenty for a critical hit and did 2 points less than max damage, killing it ... runner up, is that same character dying rather badly about 2 hours later to 3 goblins.

There's a lesson in there I think somewhere?

Edited by nikolokolus

- Having beaten Kangaxx in BG 2 for the first time (very satisfying)

- Finale of Witcher 2 (you could only understand that if you read all the books)

- Finale of Mass Effect 1 (just brilliantly directed, at least partially)

- Looking at the text messages of what my companions do after I completed BG 2 (ToB) (just the most emotional and best ending after the actual finale ever)

• Like 1
35167v4.jpg

- Making it to the Friendly Arm Inn

- ...finally reaching Baldur's Gate

- reverse pickpocketing some explosives in Fallout and waiting for the guy to blow up. Figured it out on my own and lol'd when it actually worked!

- "What can change the nature of a man?"

- The haunted hotel in Bloodlines

- The Darth Revan twist

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

- The haunted hotel in Bloodlines

- The Darth Revan twist

Strange for me to read those two things in the same post. I loved the first one and found the second one cringe worthy. Just goes to show how hard it is to please all tastes :)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I have played many RPG's so it is not easy to pick one single moment.

But if forced I would say the moment when Shepard walked out of the wreckage at the end of Mass Effect one, to the sound of the heroic music. It was such an emotional ride from start to end and that scene was so very satisfying. I instantly started a second playthrough after that and Bioware made my number one RPG company.

How times have changed, Bioware fell from grace and I can not even count two and three as RPG's at all, I do not think either would rank anywhere close to my top fifty.

My second place was Martin's death in Oblivion, Sean Bean bought that character to life!

A lot, I've been hosting table top RPG's for a long time. Though I think the first time we ever met in a tavern has to count for something, cliche though it is. The ending of my Star Wars Saga campaign where the group sacraficed themselves to stop the new sith invasion from reaching the Republic. It was a 1.5 year long game that weant form levels 1-19. Epic in every sense of the word.

My current Deathwatch campaign, they were outnumbered and outgunned by Tau Forces moving in. XV-8 Crisis Suit teams. 3 of them. 6 Mechs in total 30 firewarriors. 2 Krootox w/ Rider. The Kill Team is holed up depe undergorun din an abandoned weapons testin facility hollowed out in the earth. They were in a watch tower taking a pounding on all sides. Teamwork and skill seen them win a fight I though they would die in. Psyker focused on shielding his team mates. The heavy weapons expert took out the Firewarriors. The Tech Marine went one on one with a Krootox with his big cyber arm claw and crushed it to death. Though it crushed him almost into nothing. The Apothacary was shooting at the XV-8 suits and providing supressing fire for the team. He severely wounded the Krootox as it charged at the team and they finished it off. The watch tower took so much damage from fire ti collapsed and almost killed the Kill Team inside. They emerged form the rubble with tons of damage. Psyker starts over channeling his powers and risking warp incursions to unleash devastating psychic bolts of death. killing three XV-8 in one blast. They barel ymade it out alive, but they gained a lot of valuable intel on a new cult attempting to fuse Tau Idealogy and Imperial Doctrine. As well as mix technology a great heresy.

There are others I could go into, played TTRPG's for a looong time.

They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Talking with the girls in the Brothel of Intellectual Lusts was definitely a high point. I had played all the other Infinity Engine games and become so accustomed to fighting my way through everything. I was pretty gobsmacked then to have my favorite location in an IE game not to be a dungeon at all.

Another worthy of memory was after I exposed Chief Hanlon in New Vegas. He poured his heart out to me and then to his men on the intercom before stepping down. It painted a picture of just how devastating the war against Caesar had been and just how dire the situation was despite how quiet things were. Plus that resolution to his story arc was particularly... striking. I have to admit that I shed a single tear for Hanlon.

So uh... good conversations are a start. There should be more to a role playing game than hacking things up. That's why I always tend to prefer Obsidian games to their equivalents.

Edited by Wolfenbarg
  • Like 1

3: Hearing the crackling voice in my headphones ask, "What can change the nature of a man?"

2: ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU. RUN WHILE YOU CAN.

ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU. RUN WHILE YOU CAN.

1: "Don't trust the skull."

Edited by Tamerlane
  • Like 2
jcod0.png