Proposal for a new Rest Button

I thought Dragon Age's method of dealing with this was perfectly reasonable: when combat's over, everyone auto-heals. If you want to make it manual, rather than automated, I'm fine with non-combat healing potions, as long as they are *trvially easy* to find and use. I don't really see why that's any better than auto-heal, though.

That system works fine as long as you don't think of hit points as the ability to withstand purely physical damage (which they aren't). Maybe they should call it "Combat effectiveness" instead? I would like to see a separate wounds system.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The only issue with saying HP damage isn't lethal is when you look at spells - it's fairly clear they are being hurt. If I cast fireball at someone, they're taking damage - it's not "Oh I'm so tired, I'll just succumb to the heat now." so much as someone has been scorched alive and has gone into or is going through shock, or their blood has been boiled to where their brain has shut down, or something.

Autoheal nowdays is too common, and too lazy.

There should be some mechanics though to prevent being able to rest 10 times in 5 seconds.

Autoheal mixed with an injury system works decently enough. I particularly enjoyed the wound system in Drakensang that worked to debilitate the combatant. You could take up to four wounds before you dropped to the ground, with each wound causing cumulative damage.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Instead of repeating myself I'll just give you links.

ABC Magic:

http://forums.obsidi...0996-abc-magic/

Resting can't be abused, and it would purely be "free" to Rest, so you don't have to. Player choice.

Pack-A-Mule:

http://forums.obsidi...95-pack-a-mule/

Edit: I wrote "mandatory" when I meant "free"

Edited by Osvir

I don't mind the "autoretreat to last safe spot, rest, and return" feature, although I don't feel it is worth the likely cost to implement as written in the OP (unless the game is designed to ensure that something will happen when you retreat, the odds of something happening are close to nil).

I don't, however, support the "Can only rest every 8 game hours", unless the only gameplay effect of resting is that you must do it every 8 hours to avoid "fatigue" (that is only caused by not resting every 8 hours). No objection to including the "rest only every 8 hours" as a part of the part of the "Please hurt me lots" game mode that has been promised in the recent stretch goal, but all of the "normal" difficulty modes should allow sleep / rest / waiting at the player's discretion.

Tbh, that pretty much sums up how I feel regarding OP's thread as well.

Auto-regeneration after every combat encounter is something I really don't want to see in PE.

I don't believe auto-regeneration of HEALTH after every combat is the current plan. Did you read that somewhere?

Nah, I was only commenting on lobotomy42 post

i found it always frustrating to be in a place where you couldn't rest. Especially in a game like BG, or P:T when it is almost mandatory to enter a battle refreshed in order to survive it. It didn't add extra challenge to the game just the annoyance to wander back to the spot where you can rest and then come back.

Additions:

- you can choose how long you want to rest. If you just want to sleep for two hours, so be it. But it will only resotre your fatigue/spells partially.

- a specific period of time has to pass before you can rest again AND/OR your entire party has to be fatigued (which will usualyl happen if htere is a fatigue system, sime passage oftime erodes fatigue)

- you cannot go on forever with just short 2-3 hour sleeping bouts. Eventually you will need a full 8 hours (or more) sleep.

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Heh pretty off topic but that reminded me resting in M&M games. If you rest in wilderness for 2-3 days without moving from the same spot, your party members start going mad, they even die if you contiune resting :)

/end nostalgia

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

Additions:

- you can choose how long you want to rest. If you just want to sleep for two hours, so be it. But it will only resotre your fatigue/spells partially.

- a specific period of time has to pass before you can rest again AND/OR your entire party has to be fatigued (which will usualyl happen if htere is a fatigue system, sime passage oftime erodes fatigue)

- you cannot go on forever with just short 2-3 hour sleeping bouts. Eventually you will need a full 8 hours (or more) sleep.

I second this proposal.

This game isn't a D&D game, so hopefully we can kill the rest button once and for all.

I thought Dragon Age's method of dealing with this was perfectly reasonable: when combat's over, everyone auto-heals. If you want to make it manual, rather than automated, I'm fine with non-combat healing potions, as long as they are *trvially easy* to find and use. I don't really see why that's any better than auto-heal, though.

Thet system was garbage. There was no attrition. Dungeon exploring was too dull.

Compare that a D&D dungen crawl where you are trapped in the dungeon and have to escape. And you can't rest everywhere either!

Suddenly every fight is taken very seriously, as you have to conserve resources. You cannot get that feeling back with everything regenerating instantly.

• Like 1

Dragon Age had exploration? The way I remember it all you had to do was just stand around outside and the faceless damage dealer things, whatever all those identical things were, would warp in to fight you. So convenient. They streamlined out all that tedious walking around. If only they could have just streamlined out the tedious fighting and awful writing.

• Like 1

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

Just so we are celar on this...usually when people say "rest" they mean "8 hours of sleep"...which is not the same as taking a 5 minute stop and resting to catch your breath.

For normal resting (taking a 5-minute breather) no bottun is necessary. The fatigue just goes up to whatever the current max is fast anyway (faster if you stand still).

So if your fatigue was 30/60, after a battle it would quickly return to 60/60 (or even during a battle if your character chooses to not move then)

But only sleeping restores your max fatigue to 100/100.

Now how do you avoid abuse?

- dissalow sleeping in certain areas (too dangerous)..or allow it, but have the party jumped by some really nasty things if they do.

- have saves only possible in camps/inns (prevents save scumming)

- people generally cannot sleep on command, fatigue must be at 25% or lower before you can sleep.

- some kind of penalites for taking too much time or resting too much (could be anything from some changes in the dungeon to wahtever)

Auto-regeneration after every combat encounter is something I really don't want to see in PE.

I don't believe auto-regeneration of HEALTH after every combat is the current plan. Did you read that somewhere?

Of health, stamina, mana.. or any other resource that is being spent during combat.

No, I was just stating my preference.