stick to your guns, devs

The Cadegund affair left a sour taste in my mouth. I get it, for some people, boob plates are supposedly a deal breaker, but Obisidian caved in to "popular" demand at the first opportunity.

Don´t do that.

Personally, I don´t get the "hotties in armor" theme, but I would fight for the devs to put it into the game, if they think it serves a purpose. Because they have a very solid track record making RPGs of quality. And that is why I buy their games, and invest in this nice little kickstarter project. Look, the probability is high that I would not play a game designed by forum loudmouths and poll fanbois even if it was for free. Been playing RPG´s since Ultima IV, and proud of it, always took the opprtunity to introduce others to this kind of gaming. But I would be ashamed to show friends and family things like the bioware forums or rpg codex. Obsessed emo lovers, gay fanatics, level scalers, class renouncers, crafting haters, pseudo-medivial weapon designers (currently unemployed). Do not go down that road.

This game is supposed to be developed by Obisidian Entertainment, not some random dudes on the internet foaming at the mouth because of boob plates, or moob plates, or level scaling, or mechanical swords, or warhammers with business ends bigger than an aurochs head. Take the fan feedback in, but take it with two pounds of salt, before you adjust your own vision.

Because I WANT TO FLY (and not in the Game of Thrones sense). If forum experts could hack it, I would buy their games, not yours. But they are not, and I don´t.

Also, please make thieving both fun and profitable. No dumb klicking at NPCs with "pick pocket lint" maxed out to 98 percent. I am supposed to be a thief of dark reknown, not some trash collector or north korean item farmer. Make it challenging and fun, or cut it out of the game.

• Like 7

The "boob plate" on Cadegund was just a "interpretative liberty" (not sure if it's the correct English term, but I hope you get the idea ndT) that the artist took making that concept art, and it was apparently disapproved by the lead designer himself (Sawyer), who commented on why he doesn't like the idea.

So I wouldn't worry too much about how "Obsidian caved". Stuff gets modified from the initial concept all the time in game development.

Even far more relevant stuff, I mean.

Edited by Tuco Benedicto
  • Like 1

Another repost

We had discussed various versions of the breastplate before the PA article went up. Reactions to the one on the PA site caused us to go with a more traditional breastplate for the final design.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 2

Heh. You really think the "Cadegund affair" is the most important thing happening with this game right now? I didn't even know there was a "Cadegund affair".

I'm in the same boat.

I'm kinda curious to see the artwork that sprung the discussion.

How was the armor? With a window like Power Girl costume or something like the Scarlet Witch costume?

Most things are going in the right direction for my own tastes. Music sounds good, art direction looks great, focus on storytelling, game mechanics (which we have heard about so far) seem to be well thought out.

In no way do I expect everything in a game to be perfectly to my tastes, but neither will one or two aspects I disagree with put me off. Stick to your vision Obsidian!

Obsessed emo lovers, gay fanatics, level scalers, class renouncers, crafting haters, pseudo-medivial weapon designers (currently unemployed).

You forgot trollish sexist grognards who drink too much. I feel left out.

• Like 4

sonsofgygax.JPG

You tell em buddy. Stick it to that loudmouth, entitled mob of random dudes on the internet by speaking up and insisting that Obsidian go a different direction.

So.... is listening to people bad now? I mean, what exactly are we doing on these forums then?

I'm in the same boat.

I'm kinda curious to see the artwork that sprung the discussion.

How was the armor? With a window like Power Girl costume or something like the Scarlet Witch costume?

Didn't know about it either. Found in on google though.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/cadegund

Gasp, shock, horror.

Edited by moridin84

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

You tell em buddy. Stick it to that loudmouth, entitled mob of random dudes on the internet by speaking up and insisting that Obsidian go a different direction.

So.... is listening to people bad now? I mean, what exactly are we doing on these forums then?

Not a fan of irony?

Gasp, shock, horror.

I like the un-boobed armor better. It just looks less silly.

True.

The initial image was probably too far, I think that women need to look feminine and men need to look masculine though.

Women might not like pure fan service characters but they do still like to play feminine characters!

Well probably.

Edited by moridin84

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

Most of the stuff argued like, cooldowns, resting, the nature of good and evil choices, etc are good to be debated about. There are different play styles and some things that people overwelmingly do not want and some thing people do. It is also a good place to get ideas, so debates themselves are fine and the devs should keep an eye out.

However, the boobarmour/women treated in games threads are a different thing all together. This felt less about actual debating to improving the game and more about shoving a groups personal political correctness/personal ideology down our throats. I DO feel the devs caved in and are trying to avoid the issue all together which is very disapointing and makes me wonder what else they will not include to avoid other issues. No racism? no drugs? no sex? no slaves? no sexism?,etc I do not play games to play a politically correct propaganda machine, I play to escape reality.

• Like 2

Gasp, shock, horror.

I like the un-boobed armor better. It just looks less silly.

True.

The initial image was probably too far, I think that women need to look feminine and men need to look masculine though.

Women might not like pure fan service characters but they do still like to play feminine characters!

Well probably.

As I mentioned in another thread, the characters will be pretty small and the boobarmour was probably more to easily distinguish male and female units/characters. Now all armoured characters will be unisex. Also, I cannot shake the thought "is it a women or a guy with long hair?" when I look at the second image.

• Like 1

I don't see what the big hubub is about that supposed boob armor. It doesn't look very cumbersome and it does look like it serves a purpose if the warrior woman in question is very endowed in the area. I mean seriously folks, If that is boob armor then I'd argue scale or plate mail in the crotch armor are provocative cod pieces.

My imagination of "Boob" armor is the armor on the fake magazine that was shown in "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising" when they tried to get the girl gamer to use a character that had "breast Plate" which pretty much amounted to two circles over her chest while her midriff was exposed and a "Broad Sword"...

As I mentioned in another thread, the characters will be pretty small and the boobarmour was probably more to easily distinguish male and female units/characters. Now all armoured characters will be unisex. Also, I cannot shake the thought "is it a women or a guy with long hair?" when I look at the second image.

Character protraits and actual gameplay characters don't have to be exactly the same. You can have the new portrait showing her new armour. The gameplay avatar will most likely have some female features to distinguish her from the male companions.

Most of the stuff argued like, cooldowns, resting, the nature of good and evil choices, etc are good to be debated about. There are different play styles and some things that people overwelmingly do not want and some thing people do. It is also a good place to get ideas, so debates themselves are fine and the devs should keep an eye out.

However, the boobarmour/women treated in games threads are a different thing all together. This felt less about actual debating to improving the game and more about shoving a groups personal political correctness/personal ideology down our throats. I DO feel the devs caved in and are trying to avoid the issue all together which is very disapointing and makes me wonder what else they will not include to avoid other issues. No racism? no drugs? no sex? no slaves? no sexism?,etc I do not play games to play a politically correct propaganda machine, I play to escape reality.

Except they're all subjective preferences. Some people like cooldown and some people don't. Having or not having a cooldown system does not objectively make the game better or worse. Having or not having representation for certain political philosophies like utilitarianism, communism, libertarianism, etc. does not objectively make the game better or worse. It makes the game better for some people and worse for others.

How is discussion of issues like gender or race equality different? How do you know that preference for treatment of gender or race does not figure into a person's enjoyment of the game in the same way that treatment of political philosophies, morality, and ethics does?

• Like 1