Update #14: The Music of Project Eternity

50 minutes seems to be a bit short for a game of this scope. Would it be feasible do you think for an expanded soundtrack to be set as a stretch goal? (subject to Mr Bell's concurrence, of course).

50 minutes does seem very short. A stretch goal of the sort you mentioned would be fantastic.

Does it? I'm not sure really. Hopefully there will be long pauses between replays where we can experience the ambient and localized sounds of the environment in their entirety.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

50 minutes seems to be a bit short for a game of this scope. Would it be feasible do you think for an expanded soundtrack to be set as a stretch goal? (subject to Mr Bell's concurrence, of course).

50 minutes does seem very short. A stretch goal of the sort you mentioned would be fantastic.

I dunno...most game soundtracks seem about 50-100 minutes -CD length basically. Considering most probably wouldn't be 5 minutes long, that can be quite a number of pieces of music. I have a feeling it'll be fine.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I want the sound track to be long, of course, but it's more important to get the music right. I'm hoping for some longer pieces and then a spread of smaller pieces that LC mentions. In fact, some pieces might be quite short, although that's not necessarily true. Even pieces associated with specific actions, such as combat, or specific NPCs, such as Deionarra's theme, can be quite long.

BTW Red: Nice to see you've gone all sherrif on us again. Do I get special dispensation for drunken brawling and being a ne'er do well? :Cant's wolfish grin icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Don't forget that much of that music will be constantly on loop. They probably won't use 3 kinds of "forest combat" songs. Not that I don't support the stretch goal idea, I just don't think they want to spend too much on the OST.

One more thing I'd like to add, it's fairly obvious, but cannot be overstated :

Combat themes, even if they're masterfully composed usually get old really quick; I thought MotB handled this issue just about perfect, with a new combat theme for every major area. While that might prove to be impossible for a game of this scope, it's worth a try.

On that note, I love this battle theme :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlXWSZyODg

• Like 1

Good music pretty much makes 50% of the atmosphere in the game.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey had this dark theme that showed you and your teams heading towards your first goal. It was incredibly ominous and felt like it foreshadowed a dark and difficult path ahead, one that wouldn't necessarily end in your favor. The rest of the soundtrack was in a similar vein, with adaptions to environment and situation, it always made you feel like you were in a broken world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLQUxXrucW8&feature=plcp

Many (but not me) would say Jade Empire wasn't among Bioware's greatest games, but it probably had the best soundtrack. Jack Wall did an incredible job with it, catching the fantastical Chinese empire in sound, among the best of the songs in the Open Palm Theme and Anthem of the Tyrant.

Way of the Open Palm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKb0XO33DF8

Another favorite composer of mine is Akira Yamaoka. His dark and twisted music had a symbiotic relationship with the Silent Hill series that is unmatched to this day. There are better tunes than this one, but you have to wonder what kind of music you have to play when the protagonist is fighting the forcibly born, half-developed fetus of god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeDqM2qQJis

BTW, really liked the first and second song you posted.

Edited by Gyges

Agreed.

One more thing I'd like to add, it's fairly obvious, but cannot be overstated :

Combat themes, even if they're masterfully composed usually get old really quick; I thought MotB handled this issue just about perfect, with a new combat theme for every major area. While that might prove to be impossible for a game of this scope, it's worth a try.

Indeed.

Good music pretty much makes 50% of the atmosphere in the game.

So true.

Besides a good soundtrack gives you reasons to listen to it when you're not playing the game :)

Justin, as I understand there will prabably be several soundtracks for different settings, could you make one like in Diablo 1 tristram with just the guitar?

I'd like to reiterate my desire for Classical guitar. I know it might not be possible, but how many actual instruments will you guys use?

Guitar holds a special place for me, no question. I started playing when I was 13, and I later dedicated about seven years of my life studying classical guitar performance. I've performed solo, in a quartet, and with chamber orchestras... It was amazing and I wish I had time to do that more. So yes, I'd love to figure out a way to weave guitar in. I miss playing in a quartet most of all.......

Maybe I'll hurt my "cred" bringing it up, but I think FF12 had some great field themes (when I say field themes I just mean 'not in a city or dungeon') like this one

No way! I love FF music, it's great. Talk about memorable. The opening music for FFIII (VI, whatever) is so evocative. Even today when I hear that music I'm reminded of playing through the game.

Funny story, one of the cues that I was writing for PE's trailer ended up sounding VERY FF. It was good, just didn't fit so I abandoned it.

@Justin Do you have any estimate on the length of the soundtrack yet?

Agreed.

Let me put it this way: someone is going to have to come in and say "Dude! NO MORE MUSIC ALREADY!" Heh. So 50 is a good estimate I guess? Impossible to say at this stage, though I'm keen on putting as much music in as the game needs.

Has anyone every played Castlevania: Lords of Shadow? Amazing game btw, if you haven't played it, give it a shot. Anyhow, the music in that game was reused quite a lot. But it didn't have the effect you might imagine. Instead of sounding repetitive, it sounded more "cohesive", if that makes sense. Brilliant work, really.

• Like 2

These songs rule.

Please include Armand Mirpour's Bard Songs in the game somehow! This guy is a big fan and has some talent. I envision a bard character sitting around a pub and the PC can pay him to recite some of his songs.

This would be great! I like his songs and his voice is beautiful, I think.

And this kind of excitement and support needs to be rewarded :D

Guitar holds a special place for me, no question. I started playing when I was 13, and I later dedicated about seven years of my life studying classical guitar performance. I've performed solo, in a quartet, and with chamber orchestras... It was amazing and I wish I had time to do that more. So yes, I'd love to figure out a way to weave guitar in. I miss playing in a quartet most of all.......

I'd absolutely love it if you'd find a way to incorporate some guitar work into the soundtrack - 12 string please ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET7OEgRgwPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPwBGOaw3pY&feature=relmfu

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 1

These songs rule.

Please include Armand Mirpour's Bard Songs in the game somehow! This guy is a big fan and has some talent. I envision a bard character sitting around a pub and the PC can pay him to recite some of his songs.

This would be great! I like his songs and his voice is beautiful, I think.

And this kind of excitement and support needs to be rewarded :D

Make it so.

Engage.

I would also love to see Sawyer's poem that he posted on his youtube.

I'd absolutely love it if you'd find a way to incorporate some guitar work into the soundtrack - 12 string please ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET7OEgRgwPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPwBGOaw3pY&feature=relmfu

Oh man... Tristram... so many memories.

D1 was still the best of Diablos. Dark fantasy done right. And the gameplay was also great for a roguelike.

Most items had their advantages and disadvantages, and magical/legendary items really felt that way.

That theme really captured the events and set a great mood for the game.

It's one of my favorite videogame musics.

Edited by hideo kuze
  • Like 1

Justin, as I understand there will prabably be several soundtracks for different settings, could you make one like in Diablo 1 tristram with just the guitar?

I'd like to reiterate my desire for Classical guitar. I know it might not be possible, but how many actual instruments will you guys use?

Maybe I'll hurt my "cred" bringing it up, but I think FF12 had some great field themes (when I say field themes I just mean 'not in a city or dungeon') like this one

No way! I love FF music, it's great. Talk about memorable. The opening music for FFIII (VI, whatever) is so evocative. Even today when I hear that music I'm reminded of playing through the game.

Funny story, one of the cues that I was writing for PE's trailer ended up sounding VERY FF. It was good, just didn't fit so I abandoned it.

@Justin Do you have any estimate on the length of the soundtrack yet?

Agreed.

Let me put it this way: someone is going to have to come in and say "Dude! NO MORE MUSIC ALREADY!" Heh. So 50 is a good estimate I guess? Impossible to say at this stage, though I'm keen on putting as much music in as the game needs.

Has anyone every played Castlevania: Lords of Shadow? Amazing game btw, if you haven't played it, give it a shot. Anyhow, the music in that game was reused quite a lot. But it didn't have the effect you might imagine. Instead of sounding repetitive, it sounded more "cohesive", if that makes sense. Brilliant work, really.

Great that you are enthusiastic, heres hoping its gonna be the kind of music people will listen to longer than they actually play the game :). Any composers you draw inspiration from?

I really love what I've heard so far and look forward to hearing more in the future. I have a few questions regarding how the music will tie-in with the game's setting.

Typically fantasy cultures draw influence from the real world. With this in mind, are there any plans on going for a certain cultural 'feel' with the game music? For example, using sitars for music in desert locales, harp music for celtic themed regions and so on.

What software do you use to make your music? I'm curious. :)

Any composers you draw inspiration from?

Great question. I tend to gravitate toward music that has, what I perceive to be, depth and emotional gravitas. And that can come from anywhere, and because of that its hard to single any one source of inspiration out.

If I were to name some composers off the top of my head... JS Bach, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Debussy, Ravel, Villa-Lobos, Barrios, Chopin, Liszt, Brahms, Scarlatti. Even listing out those composers feels a little weird to me, because there's so much more.

I really enjoy Michael Giacchino's music, I think he has an incredible gift with musical story telling. Particularly his Pixar stuff. I've said this before, but one of my favorite game scores of all time is from Morrowind. I recently played through Bastion and Limbo, and I thought those were incredible. Shadows of the Colossus was great, and so was Journey. I loved the way music was used in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Are there any plans on going for a certain cultural 'feel' with the game music? What software do you use to make your music?

I've always been interested in exploring a sort of fictional ethnomusicology for games. So I think this is something I would definitely like to explore, though we haven't talked about it much at the studio.

In terms of software, I mainly use Cubase for music and Nuendo for sound design. I own a bunch of sample libraries that I regularly use. Some of the better sounding strings from the KS trailer is from East West's Hollywood Strings. I also own their Symphonic Orchestra but the new strings are way better.

I usually reach for Vienna Instruments when I want woodwinds, they sound very authentic. Brass is usually a mix between Project Sam Orchestral Brass and EWQL Symphonic Orchestra. Percussion is all over the place since there are tons of great libraries, but my workhorse library for that is True Strike 1.

For synths I mainly use Omnisphere. For basic plug-ins I use Waves Gold or the bundled ones in Cubase/Nuendo. I use Altiverb for verb.

• Like 1

Maybe this one was already posted here, but I find this theme really amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8P3Xnc4Xqg

And the sharper/acute (harp? piano?) notes around 0:45 are a stroke of mastery IMO. They almost sound like a cry.

I hope PE will have moments that allow for a theme like this too.

Edited by hideo kuze

Agreed, although I always felt ToB was a bit derivative of Basil Poledouris, Michael Hoenig did an awesome job! Also a fan and frequent user of the EW Play engine VIs, as well as the Spectrasonics set. :)

Edited by AstroCat

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro