Update #14: The Music of Project Eternity

Uh oh, for some reason my Windows Media Player won't play the files! I've made sure the box next to .WAV under supported files is checked, WMP is apparently up to date. What gives?

It might be the sample/bit rates. They are 48k 24-bit... Is anyone else running into a similar issue?

No presure or anything

Hahahahaha... Haha.. Ha... ha. hmmmm...

(must resist pressure!)

Ya I share the sentiments of those who are sick of Epictm choirs. Slow melancholy stuff though can be amazing. Just no O Fortuna type stuff please.

Justin, are you familiar with Arvo Part? Now that's the kind of choral music I could get behind ;)

Here's an example, has a nice mystical vibe to it that I really really dig :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdoafPTSQpE

Edited by NoxNoctum

I love the mellow music, I'm not a musical person but to my tin ear that music was pretty good and as good as any game music I've heard for a while.

Having said that, I loved the kind of Gothic-Russian-Balalika-Cheese of Diablo's music.

Seriously, we need bagpipes. Bagpipes are awesome.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Uh oh, for some reason my Windows Media Player won't play the files! I've made sure the box next to .WAV under supported files is checked, WMP is apparently up to date. What gives?

It might be the sample/bit rates. They are 48k 24-bit... Is anyone else running into a similar issue?

Tested playback with WMP 12 and the latest Foobar2000 release, no problems found.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

Thanks for the update.

As for the pieces themselves : I've written before that I, too, wasn't a big fan of the Prelude's choral parts - but I understand it's been composed to serve a certain purpose.

I like the Dirge, I'm getting definite Icewind Dale vibes from that piece. The ending to the Road is quite nice as well. All in all, it's a nice teaser, Justin ;)

P.S.

Bagpipes + battle themes :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIOjEAgrNrM

My feeling...The music in PS:T is better.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Yes, it's very good; setting a proper mood for a serious drama. I enjoy celtic music so the Dirge of Eir Glanfath works for me, while The Road to Eternity had a nice dreamy quality to it. The prelude had a less than smooth transition at the 0:50s mark, but that might be from the little speakers on my HP laptop. It was otherwise nicely operatic. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Ya I share the sentiments of those who are sick of Epictm choirs. Slow melancholy stuff though can be amazing. Just no O Fortuna type stuff please.

Justin, are you familiar with Arvo Part? Now that's the kind of choral music I could get behind ;)

Here's an example, has a nice mystical vibe to it that I really really dig :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdoafPTSQpE

That song was awesome. I would put that in some sweet dungeon or an old God's tomb. :)

• Like 1

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

First one seemed generic fantasy bada-boom, liked the second and third more. All in all does the job of recalling IE games and general high fantasy. Given the attention to different cultures and subdivisions within races in the setting, it will be great to see such variation in musical styles and instruments as well in the full game, so that each culture has its own musical signature.

Well, I for one still like the "over-used in fantasy" or bombastic sound, so I always appreciate having a few pieces of that sort in game soundtracks. But I certainly don't want all the music to be like that.

I was listening to "The Road to Eternity" and all the bell/chime sounds (or whatever they are) were lovely - I love that type of instrumental note punctuation, it sets a nice mood imo, so of the three I'd say that one is my favorite so far. I would love if some pieces had emphasis on flute or other wind type instruments too....just an eager suggestion. :biggrin:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Wow, just, wow. I am loving Dirge more each time I hear it.

I also like some of the environmental sounds you used, they can really convey a sense of place. Sometimes when the current locale in the game is really imposing, the place itself can dominate the narrative.. it's great when these sorts of places have really memorable music.

Here are a couple good examples of mystical music with a sense of place, if you'll excuse the sound quality. I've always wanted to hear some of these de-midi-fied.

Overall, looks like the soundtrack is in good hands. I look forward to attaching some fond memories to these new tracks!

• Like 2

You have good ears... I suspect you are a musician or have a musical background... Am I right? :)
Yes, I studied music for 10 years and played piano for 17 years. I'm terrible at composing though. :p

RE the bass drum... Low frequencies are such a tricky thing aren't they. I'm always wrestling with them. Those bass drums are really just sub hits more than anything. Truth be told, I rolled back a lot of low end right before we launched the campaing because I was concerned about how well the mix would translate across an untold amount of listening devices. I'll think about what you said though, there's probably a middle ground here that I just haven't found yet.
Yeah it didn't sound that much like a bass drum to me either but that's how I interpreted it anyway. I like natural, live-sounding instruments and I felt like a good bass drum hit with proper reverb would've been more effective there (Road to Eternity).

Oh and I totally second the recommandation of Arvo Pärt. Best living composer of deeply mystical music.

Edited by Zeckul