RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

Gorth

So it'll be out in 2019 then.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So, Dishonoured came out,k and nobody told me? You bastards.

I thought about asking people how it was. But everyone's busy with XCOM.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So far it's been good (although I've only gotten through the opening act). :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Well, it only came out yesterday in Europe. :p I played the first mission last night. Feels very nice and deus exy, surprisingly challenging sneaking right out of the bat (or I've gotten really REALLY rusty, which is likely). Was a bit surprised by the voiceless protagonist in this type of game, as I feel it's basically better the more heavily characterised your avatar is (so JC Denton, it's necessary, Shepard/Hawke a good decision, Grey Warden/<protagonist> probably counter-productive).

Anyway, still really early days for me, but looks good. After ME3, not ready to call GOTYs before the very end, but considering how terrible the year's been, in the top 2 at any rate. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I ran through some Dishonoured with my late friday night.. And yeah, if you're doing that mix of extreme stealth and exploring as much as you can, it's going to take hours.

It took me about 3-4 hours on the first "assassination" alone = although I did go for the non-lethal approach, because frankly, that actually seemed a wee bit more viscious then actually killing the bugger.

Possibly it wouldn't be quite as meandery if I turned the HUD navigation and the "Show Objectives" back on. There's something just a touch more challenging without absolute directions in a game like this... :shifty:

The way it played out, I actually refused to complete one of the optional quests they had (even though it promised a rune/bone charm for reward) because it just didn't fit with the way I was playing it, even if it would have gotten me in good with Granny Rags. It'll be interesting to see what changes it makes finishing that particular one if you're going in a more bloody/uncaring play style...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It's good. I had $50 and the choice was betwen Dishonored and XCOM (given a remake vs a new IP i'll take a new IP,) will definitely pick up XCOM when it goes on sale on Steam, but until then.... I AM THE RAT KIIIIING!

Dishonored is a proper stealth game. It plays very much like Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (shock.) The controls are slightly less unintuitive than the previously mentioned titles, but it's still an improvement over Arkane's prior efforts. The really impressive aspect is the huge variety of ways to complete objectives. The climbing/blinking aspect works well, and straight combat is extremely dangerous. If you're dealing with multiple opponents, you'd better have a plan to kill them all (and thus cause more chaos and contribute to worse endings,) or run like hell, because on normal it takes maybe 3 hits to get killed. Stealth is vital regardless of what degree of lethality you're aiming for.

The AI is actually pretty decent, too. There are lethal electric barriers around that don't harm officers/soldiers but kill anyone unauthorized that you can hack/reverse, and after the first few goons get vaporized chasing after you they'll avoid it like the plague. And most importantly, you can also be the rat king, summoning swarms of plague rats to strip the flesh from enemies' bones (literally.)

God, I am going to get the worst ending.

I ran through some Dishonoured with my late friday night.. And yeah, if you're doing that mix of extreme stealth and exploring as much as you can, it's going to take hours.

It took me about 3-4 hours on the first "assassination" alone = although I did go for the non-lethal approach, because frankly, that actually seemed a wee bit more viscious then actually killing the bugger.

Possibly it wouldn't be quite as meandery if I turned the HUD navigation and the "Show Objectives" back on. There's something just a touch more challenging without absolute directions in a game like this... :shifty:

The way it played out, I actually refused to complete one of the optional quests they had (even though it promised a rune/bone charm for reward) because it just didn't fit with the way I was playing it, even if it would have gotten me in good with Granny Rags. It'll be interesting to see what changes it makes finishing that particular one if you're going in a more bloody/uncaring play style...

I did those Granny Rags quests and it increased the number of weepers, cut the number of thugs, and Slackjaw, the leader of the bootleggers, offered me some quests due to his new lack of muscle, including a non-lethal way of eliminating those brothers at the brothel (that I couldn't figure out because the waypoint/objective marker system is bad and didn't say where to go to do the job, and Dunwall is a supremely convoluted place.) The poor guidance is one of the biggest flaws. It points you to a rune that's under an inaccessible building and you miss it and it's gone forever because you couldn't figure out how to find it.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

Someone needs to teach the guards to check upwards more often, but I am liking the game. Not so much a ghost as I'd liked, sort of back to my Professional style in Hitman where I leave a notable body count but am sneaky about it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The poor guidance is one of the biggest flaws. It points you to a rune that's under an inaccessible building and you miss it and it's gone forever because you couldn't figure out how to find it.

It's not a flaw. You are supposed to figure it out on your own. Those harder to find runes are a bonus and not a necessity.

At Valve HQ, everybody can hear Chris Roberts scream!

Sometimes, I am wondering what kind of crops are you inhaling...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

:biggrin:

To be fair, as you progress in both AA and AC there are enemies who are immune to simple punching and kicking. There's a variety that blocks them and takes no damage, a variety that electrocutes you when you punch them, etc. At any rate, you are eventually forced to used varied abilities and tactics (claws, boomerang, takedowns, etc.) But the auto-aim criticism in an action game certainly still stands.

Someone needs to teach the guards to check upwards more often, but I am liking the game. Not so much a ghost as I'd liked, sort of back to my Professional style in Hitman where I leave a notable body count but am sneaky about it.

Since discovering the connections between Chaos and difficulty and storyline (killing Weepers counts as killing innocents, even though technically you're doing them a favor if you put them down fast,) I've gone back to start a second run, trying to ghost and kill nobody. My original intent was to kill nobody but always blundered into trouble, so I'm using what I learn from those blundered missions (layouts, guard patrols, alternate paths,) to pull proper ghost runs on the second set of saves.

Edited by AGX-17

:lol:

I can't comment on the actual difficulty/design of that game, but the video is hilarious.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

To be fair, as you progress in both AA and AC there are enemies who are immune to simple punching and kicking. There's a variety that blocks them and takes no damage, a variety that electrocutes you when you punch them, etc. At any rate, you are eventually forced to used varied abilities and tactics (claws, boomerang, takedowns, etc.) But the auto-aim criticism in an action game certainly still stands.

And if you play on hardest difficulty you get those enemies from the very start. Not to mention no counter prompts. Guns will kill you in seconds. Also there is way more stuff in the game including puzzles, boss fights, etc. AC is certainly not a hard game but the fighting is a lot of fun. I still load up the challenge modes just to beat people up from time to time. The challenge isn't to win, it's to win in style. There is no argument that makes this design philosophy worse than any other.

And if you play on hardest difficulty you get those enemies from the very start. Not to mention no counter prompts. Guns will kill you in seconds. Also there is way more stuff in the game including puzzles, boss fights, etc. AC is certainly not a hard game but the fighting is a lot of fun. I still load up the challenge modes just to beat people up from time to time. The challenge isn't to win, it's to win in style. There is no argument that makes this design philosophy worse than any other.

So, from those of us who have actually played the Arkham games, the video in question is verifiably a strawman that deliberately avoids many aspects of the gameplay to present it as a "plays itself" casual type game. The combat in it is good enough that the devs of Sleeping Dogs copied it to the letter and received praise for its combat. The most praised aspect of the game, in fact (the writing makes Bethesda's look good.)

Edited by AGX-17

To be fair when that happens you can spam explosive gel and still win.

Both AA and AC greatly simplified movement and combat controls for the sake of cinematic experience.

Good thing it didn't completely catch up yet.

So much butthurt in the comments :lol: Try doing that on easy mode in Ninja Gaiden and you'll be dead within in 10 seconds. And i don't buy the "you're BATMAN"-argument either, that's just a moot point that sidesteps the issue itself.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

So much butthurt in the comments :lol: Try doing that on easy mode in Ninja Gaiden and you'll be dead within in 10 seconds. And i don't buy the "you're BATMAN"-argument either, that's just a moot point that sidesteps the issue itself.

What issue? Whoever defined quality in a game by it's difficulty?

The "you are Batman" argument works perfectly well. Those fights are for you to do cool stuff with, not to challenge you. You know to PLAY with. There is nothing wrong with that idea.

Edited by Fighter
  • Like 1

What issue? Whoever defined quality in a game by it's difficulty?

The "you are Batman" argument works perfectly well. Those fights are for you to do cool stuff with, not to challenge you. You know to PLAY with. There is nothing wrong with that idea.

*sigh*

Everything is wrong with that idea.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy