"Semi-random loot lists" confirmed

Does this mean non-monster enemy NPCs won't drop the equipment they're using and wearing, Obsidian? Because I hate that.

That means that if you meet a group of 5 goblins, you will have less chance of finding the same, potion and gem and amount of gold pieces on each end every single of them.

"Potion and gem and amount of gold pieces" are not the equipment they're using and wearing.

"Potion and gem and amount of gold pieces" are not the equipment they're using and wearing.

No one talked specifically about equippable items.

http://www.kickstart...ernity/comments

@Tristan The drops system will be semi-random. What I mean by that is there will be specific loot drop lists for things and that loot with be more made loot and not randomly created items. The loot dropped is then picked from the list. Using loot lists, lets us balance the loot that is dropping in specific parts of the game and with specific encounters without having to bring up every single monster and change their specific loot. Although we can still do that for unique things.

No one talked specifically about equippable items.

@Tristan The drops system will be semi-random. What I mean by that is there will be specific loot drop lists for things and that loot with be more made loot and not randomly created items. The loot dropped is then picked from the list. Using loot lists, lets us balance the loot that is dropping in specific parts of the game and with specific encounters without having to bring up every single monster and change their specific loot. Although we can still do that for unique things.

Again, I don't understand how this is relevant to what I said. "Loot drop" is a generic term encompassing everything that an enemy drops when it dies. I want that dropped loot to always include the items said enemy has equipped - ie, NON-random items. That means the loot should NOT be entirely chosen at random from a list. What is so hard to comprehend here?

Edited by Infinitron

I like semi-random for barrels, chests and other things when done right, but as Infinitron says, I'd like to see enemies drop stuff that actually corresponds to what they have.

You could use a combination, e.g. Bandit A always drops leather armour & short sword, but may have a random list that includes small gems, gold, scrolls, etc.

Again, I don't understand how this is relevant to what I said. "Loot drop" is a generic term encompassing everything that an enemy drops when it dies. I want that dropped loot to always include the items said enemy has equipped - ie, NON-random items. That means the loot should NOT be entirely chosen at random from a list. What is so hard to comprehend here?

The leveled lists could provide for not only the items that drop on an actor's death, but more variety in the items he spawns with.

So, Bandit type A doesn't always use leather armor and short sword. Sometimes he has fur armor and an iron dagger, or studded armor and a steel mace, etc.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople

Semi-random loot mean in all reason sytem where developers can put for group of monsters specific item, like their equipment which they all drop and items from random list like 1-10 coins, gem, silver ring and etc., so developers don't need go through, say hundred, goblins one at a time and add how many coins, gems and etc. each individual goblin carries.

Edited by Elerond

I'd actually rather every enemy didn't drop their gear. I want my party's victories to be rewarding, but I don't want them to be over-burdened with loot. I'd rather it be more of a pleasant surprise when a piece of enemy armor survives combat in usable condition (and have it vend for more) than feel a need to tote mountains of stuff back to town.

Edited by Lady Evenstar
  • Like 1

And again I fail to understand why you fail to understand.

Baldur's Gate 1 already had random loot, for example, but the enemy would normally drop what he was using against you and some random gold/potion/scroll/gem/whatever.

I don't understand why you have to fear that NPC will not drop what they actually are wearing.

Edited by DocDoomII

Does this mean non-monster enemy NPCs won't drop the equipment they're using and wearing, Obsidian? Because I hate that.

The loot will be random (potions, gems, gold, crafting items, etc.) That is what Feargus meant. @DocDoomII is correct.

The enemy NPCs will most likely also drop their armor/weapons, just like in the Infinity Engine games. You can ask Feargus when he is online next time though. :)

:closed: