Stretch Goals and Backer Rewards - What do you think?

I don't know if it's been discussed before, but a backer reward I would really like to see (maybe as part of the collector's book?) would be rules for playing a pen and paper game in the Eternity world. Given that the game itself is going to be RTwP, a direct translation of the mechanics obviously wouldn't work, but a simple ruleset that captures the flavor of the game's mechanics would be really cool.

I think that has been mentioned a few times before. It's a reasonable idea, but Oblivion isn't a pen-and-paper gaming company.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think that has been mentioned a few times before. It's a reasonable idea, but Oblivion isn't a pen-and-paper gaming company.

While Oblivion isn't a PnP company, I can't see that as being a real obstacle. At the very least, Chris Avellone wrote for PnP games before getting into video games, and JE Sawyer has written a PnP system for Fallout.

I kind of wish the 2.5 mil and 2.4 mil stretch goals were swapped. I like the proposed additional classes, whereas I can't name a game with crafting and recipes and such where it didn't end up being tedious or unimportant. Being able to get a few special items by collecting stuff for an NPC is a enough for me.

Basically don't talk about being classic and then pander to modern action-rpg/mmo morons by throwing in a tedious crafting system that will either a) be so pointless it shouldn't be in the game, or b) take some much effort to balance and implement that it subtracts from the stuff we actually want to see in the game.

Also, I don't get the "adventurer's tavern." Just let people load a custom party and don't bother with it please. I'd rather the in-game content was more focused and in my mind the adventurer's tavern is a way to waste resources (devs, artists, etc.) that could be going to improve the actual game content and game on a problem that could be solved by using character creation 6 times and take like 30 minutes of 1 developer's time.

Edited by khango

While Oblivion isn't a PnP company, I can't see that as being a real obstacle. At the very least, Chris Avellone wrote for PnP games before getting into video games, and JE Sawyer has written a PnP system for Fallout.

What is this Oblivion company that you speak of? :)

Joking aside, I think Feargus said in KS comments in the first week or so that they have been playing with the idea of making PE p&p game if this game sells well. Or something like that. Or at least they would love to expand the franchise to a p&p game.

I´ve looked at your "Addons" on your Kickstarter page and I think I can make some suggestions to expand those:

- Project Eternity T-Shirt for 15 - 20 $

- Prject Eternity Hoodie for 20 - 25 $

- Free Game-Addons and DLC for 20 - 50 $ (depending on how much there will be)

- A configurable "Loot"-Pack with any kind of Merchandise I might want (Clothing, Artbook, Cloth-Map, Posters, Soundtrack CD etc. all individually addable for a price) I´m especially proud of this idea ^^

I´ve looked at your "Addons" on your Kickstarter page and I think I can make some suggestions to expand those:

- Project Eternity T-Shirt for 15 - 20 $

- Prject Eternity Hoodie for 20 - 25 $

- Free Game-Addons and DLC for 20 - 50 $ (depending on how much there will be)

- A configurable "Loot"-Pack with any kind of Merchandise I might want (Clothing, Artbook, Cloth-Map, Posters, Soundtrack CD etc. all individually addable for a price) I´m especially proud of this idea ^^

I will add PE Big Pencil *looking suspiciously at Tim*

Edited by Dawn_

I like your 'loot-pack' idea though, I think that kills many birds with one stone.

I also think they could maximize profit, given the interest in Europe, to set up a third party merchandising operation over here. To mitigate the shipping costs (the shipping costs on this project are very steep, verging on embarrassing).

sonsofgygax.JPG

I like your 'loot-pack' idea though, I think that kills many birds with one stone.

I also think they could maximize profit, given the interest in Europe, to set up a third party merchandising operation over here. To mitigate the shipping costs (the shipping costs on this project are very steep, verging on embarrassing).

I live in the Uk and have paid way more postage on items from the US so i think thay are very reasonable and around the prices it will cost them. I would rather have a bigger game than have them have to spend some of the budget on postage.

I am not sure about the 'loot pack'. Much of the 'loot' announced so far are thank you's to backers. If these 'loot' were to be made available to everyone, then it will defeat the purpose. Merchandise can be sold to raise more money, just not the same ones used to reward the backers.

• Like 1

No, it's not an obstacle. But pen-and-paper games don't have large margins, so it's not likely to generate much profit. Depending on how well the game does, they'd might have more success licensing game-world fiction or a collectible card game.

Now that we will be having a novella, it is not a stretch to see a novel or even a comic series in the future. If the IP develops and generates enough interest after this first game, I see a lot of money makers for Obsidian, which will mean more games, more Eternity for us.

To eleborate on my "Loot"-package idea:

- A lot of people might want good merchandise, but they might want diffrent objects varying from person to person. That´s why they should make what I get completely optional.

- The merchandise can not afford to be anything less than awesome (because I know I wouldn´t pay for it otherwise) and it has to be fair priced enough to be affordable but not cheat the people who have donated more. For example I probably only wouldn´t buy a T-shirt just saying "Project Eternity", but maybe with a great artwork on it? Also I´d be annoyed if I donated 500 dollars and someone gets some of the same exlusives as me for a 100 dollars.

- You need to lower your shipping prices, maybe by taking Monte Carlos advice^^

- You´ll not get that many more donors (maybe a few thousand) and that´s why you have to offer something great to your existing donors if you want to reach many more stretch goals

What is this Oblivion company that you speak of? :)

Sorry for mangling the company name. That's inexcusable. :facepalm:

I must agree with documentations, soundtrack, underwater idea also sea traveling...

For me I like to see a lot of non interactive actions, like if you enter to somewhere and the place is living its own live and it is not same script everytime but doffierent for time day also for yime of year and specially different to your previous action. These details allways do the world (of course you know that) and I only guess it is really time consuming to develop this feeling...

And maybe some special long quest for The God(s)...

No, it's not an obstacle. But pen-and-paper games don't have large margins, so it's not likely to generate much profit. Depending on how well the game does, they'd might have more success licensing game-world fiction or a collectible card game.

I'd like a card game personally :yes:

Also, I don't get the "adventurer's tavern." Just let people load a custom party and don't bother with it please. I'd rather the in-game content was more focused and in my mind the adventurer's tavern is a way to waste resources (devs, artists, etc.) that could be going to improve the actual game content and game on a problem that could be solved by using character creation 6 times and take like 30 minutes of 1 developer's time.

For some of us it's a major selling point. You would have to be a fan of the Icewind Dale games to appreciate it though.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

For some of us it's a major selling point. You would have to be a fan of the Icewind Dale games to appreciate it though.

Agreed. To me it was the best part in the Icewind Dale series. Adding the possibility for us to have both BG and IWD style companions in one game is brilliant. Everybody wins.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

Agreed. To me it was the best part in the Icewind Dale series. Adding the possibility for us to have both BG and IWD style companions in one game is brilliant. Everybody wins.

Yeah, it's almost starting to resemble ToEE. :)

• Like 1

Cyberarmy's idea re a new world campaign is awesome but would probably need to be an expansion or stand-alone. Still, imagine three trading companies that have info on a new continent with natives and resources. One plans conquest. One plans to overawe through magic and tech. The third intends to try cooperative expansion. Quests would be woven through all three. The possibilities are breathtaking...

Cyberarmy's idea re a new world campaign is awesome but would probably need to be an expansion or stand-alone. Still, imagine three trading companies that have info on a new continent with natives and resources. One plans conquest. One plans to overawe through magic and tech. The third intends to try cooperative expansion. Quests would be woven through all three. The possibilities are breathtaking...

That would be crazy awesome. Hopefully, with money from this game, perhaps another kickstarter etc. we might have not yet seen Obsidian's Magnum Opus.

Edited by Gyges

Just a couple of key points that I feel are worth saying:

- I am absolutely amazed and blown away by the amount of effort and dedication Obsidian has placed in this project and in trying to give back to the fans.

- Just about every single stretch goal has been amazing and added substantially to the game but the Cipher class stands out as the single most awesome addition.

- Please no Paladin class, not on top of the Monk and Priest classes, it's a bit redundant and unnecessary. Maybe if Monk or Priest were replaced by the Paladin class.

- Beyond that I look forward to whatever awesome stretch goals Obsidian comes up with, I'm sure they will be amazing.

- Thank you very much for everything!!!

1zq6793.jpg