Stretch Goals and Backer Rewards - What do you think?

Now THAT I would very much like to see in the game.

I don't know. A manable city you can become the ruler of seems like the kind of over-ambitious feature Lionhead would attempt in one of their games. The idea sounds good on paper, but would it actually work well in game?

I think it would be difficult to implement with the level of depth and complexity expected in an oldschool cRPG like Project Eternity.

Look at mount and blade.

Now THAT I would very much like to see in the game.

I don't know. A manable city you can become the ruler of seems like the kind of over-ambitious feature Lionhead would attempt in one of their games. The idea sounds good on paper, but would it actually work well in game?

I think it would be difficult to implement with the level of depth and complexity expected in an oldschool cRPG like Project Eternity.

Look at mount and blade.

Mount & Blade is a very different kind of game. I really don't think you can compare it to Project Eternity.

Being a ruler only really works well in Mount & Blade because you can control huge armies and do battle with other lords. When it actually comes to managing your kingdom, there's really not a great deal of depth at all.

Mount & Blade is a very different kind of game. I really don't think you can compare it to Project Eternity.

Being a ruler only really works well in Mount & Blade because you can control huge armies and do battle with other lords. When it actually comes to managing your kingdom, there's really not a great deal of depth at all.

It doesn't mean there can't be depth. You can also run your own corps and stations and such in EVE Online.

"New challenge! There are many gaint creatures in PE world. They hide in elder ruins, secret island, dark swamp,active volcano,snow mountain,deep cave...Try to challenge them and find out the great secrets they keeped! "

Then show 10 horrible monster pictures and hide 5 of them in shadow. "They are Dargon,Tarrasque,Athach,Kraken,Remorhaz,Tendriculos,and ?, ?, ? ,? ,?. Different skills,different AI, different legendary battles, unique loots! Could you suvival under gaint creatures' power? Try to achieved 2.7 million stretch goal and start your new adventures!"

Edited by bronzepoem

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Just a random thought that popped into my head (someone might have already mentioned it) but I remember that InXile are using some resources for Wasteland 2 from Obsidian, and (unless this is already being done) thought that maybe as Wasteland 2 is being developed, some resources could be used for PE. I don't necessarily mean we might see a scorpitron trotting around -because who needs a Terrasque anyway- and then kick some of the funding raised backwards to InXile.

And obviously I used the term "resource" because I have no idea what might be appropriate.

You guys are probably the best judges here of how much work that can be done. I guess you shouldn't over promise what can be delivered in the estimated time frame. At a certain point it seems you would have to stop introducing new content for the base game and start thinking about extra money above the quota going to an expansion pack which would have a later release date and allow for seperate content without necessarily needing to cram it all in under the (April 2014?) deadline. So my suggestion for stretch goals would be to add an expansion pack and for those who have pledged a certain amount to have it included along with the base game.

Otherwise: a toolset would make a fantastic stretch goal.

• Like 1

If you haven't, do check this thread: http://forums.obsidi...-stretch-goals/

It's pretty clear that most backers want more "game".

More locations, more factions, more NPCs, more quests, more C&C, more replayability...

On another note, BG2 is a hallmark and, for better or worse, is still probably among the top #3 RPGs of most people.

1)

So, go wild and say it "for 5 millions he'll give you a world with the same scope as BG2".

2)

Backer rewards are fine with me.

Maybe add something extra for a bit more backers... "For each 5,000 backers past the 50k, we'll add a new companion and a new race."

The problem is that this may kind of overlap with the stretch goals.

You should also make a documentary like DF, with a 20-30 m video per month.

At first I wasn't convinced by this, but now I love it.

Add a new $45 tier which gives access to the monthly video documentary. (this small increment from the $35 would make a though choice not to upgrade, also for the $25 which would get both the OST and documentary for just another $20).

3)

Add a stretch goal at $4 M for TB combat, capable of matching ToEE. This would please and win the old school faction... you know, the ones who backed W2 and are on the fence about PE (especially after the latest news... random loot and cooldowns -- more info is needed on this).

This would integrate with the Advanced/Expert options 2.3M goal.

Justin Sweets and George Ziets as stretch goals?

Edited by hideo kuze

What I want is a more full more rich world. Lore in every nook and cranny, npcs with interesting stories if I take the time to talk with them, a world that reacts and changes to my presence and actions, side activities I can undertake that don't necessarily relate to the main plot(s) (such as building a house, starting a bar, investigating mysteries (why does Joe the Drunk always leave just before happy hour?), exploration, etc). Just things to make me really get immersed and involved with the world I'm in.

One tier I'd definitely like to see is a system that allows for a little bit of AI and varience in the world. I don't even mean huge major things like maybe the king gets assasinated in one playthrough and not in another, but I mean just lots of little micro things like, maybe there's a barfight in one playthrough and in another there's a wandering bard. Things that encourage you to play through multiple times just to see all the little nuances of the world. A system like this could be easily updated in the future too to add more interactions. Imagine traveling through the overworld on your 5th playthrough and you see a bear chasing a kobold through the forest, just randomly.

So I guess that's the tier I'd like to see, is a system that allows for this and encourages you to really explore and never really know for sure if you've truely 'seen it all'. They could do it for bigger things too I mean, maybe in one playthrough a powerful warrior joins a faction and they become extra badass and you get a totally different playthrough on that quest. Sky's the limit.

• Like 1

A lot of people are saying documentary and I just want to point out that if this idea is too expensive it's not worth doing. A documentary would be cool, but I don't think anybody wants it if it's going to detract from the game. I imagine every backer would prefer that their money go towards making the game awesome.

• Like 3

I would love an orchestral soundtrack. I think it would be a great incentive of a stretch goal (for like 3M$, don't be so tight in aiming! ;) ) as music indeed can add so much depth, so a more sensitive interpretation with better sound(s) will make a difference.

And since you're saying "besides mod tools", I'll say mod tools... after the release at least, we simply need a promise (and you'd better focus on the essentials of the game during the development). :p

Otherwise, we basically need more of everything good (larger and richer world, with more story, characters and content or possibilities, more and better art...), and simply throw more eye candy now too, if possible.

• Like 1

Well mod tools and coop would be my initial thoughts but since those are excluded I would say maybe a substantial expansion (5-10hrs) at 3mil. Something akin to werewolf island in TotSC (since we already have a durlag/watchers keep by the sounds of it). Maybe there could be a brief background/ initial write up about it to get people interested.

I also think a screenshot would drive up a lot of interest.

• Like 1

Big dungeon would be nice

But it would be cool if it had sevral uses, so stealthers might have secret passages to sneak around in, miners might be able to reach new spotts etc and it wasnt just for hack and slash but had some crafting quests mayby reclaiming controll quests for outposts with teleport or other ways of reaching once secured

And of course the few outcrops of tunnels swarming with enemys and some mega bosses and mayby even a forgotten dwarfen/goblin/troll etc city

One think i would like to see if not allready covered by the 2,4 Stretchgoal is Subcrafts

When i say subcrafts i mean like a blacksmith could take apart armour he/she recovers for parts to make new armour/fix up , Miners might be able to resmelt and get ingots/nuggets of armour/wepon metal by smelting it down

Goldsmiths could have ability to make threads of fine metals etc,

I hate games where i got tons of craft skill but somehow im unable to reclaim anything from armour ive gathered and must instead sell it to npc

And on that note i would like to ask if we could get a quest for a endless bag, with that i mean something like the jug/horn that thor in norse myth was drinking from that was really connected to a lake.

Would be cool if i had a magic bag once i got my house that i could bind to a storage room so that all the junk i gather just magicaly falls into it for some retainer at my house to then sort and and put in availible storage at my house while im running around killing/looting/gathering down in endless dungueons and such.

It can be a oneway bag to toss stuff i dont need right now a bit later in game and u could even add dialog to poor retainer as i gather a lot of junk etc to have them complain/praise/be amazed/steal

Other then that i liked the Sea expansion idea and generaly just add more off evrything , if u feel the current funding is enough to fully flesh out current region add a stretch for a new one, add more classes/cross classes -

Languages dosnt matter to me although im not native english speaking but i get that to some regions english isnt as common as its here, so mayby some add for russian/italian/turkish or just a mod kit for translating the scripts for fanbase would be ok, a lot of people do film/comics translations allready for the less spoken languages on a web fanbase modell

that could be a nice stretch goal as well as get people more involved in the game in those regions.

As far as collectiable stretch goals goes it isnt for me, but i know a lot of people would like it so mayby more collectables special tiers for those at 25$ but who cant go all up to 100$

overall id like you to go for what u have imagined and want to make, if u get someone that fanbase want you to join in making the game it's all fine as long as it does not derail u from your original plan, wouldnt want fanbase to become the new publisher telling you to add zombie/Arpg elementh's/Fps elementh etc

Personally i think 3 million is allready in the box and strethgoals should reflect that by trying to reach beyond.

About the languages... just c'mon and make polish version. We rule all the pollings for a reason - we love games and we are Legion :D

Be sure to add Chinese translation as well - big market, big profits. And if I were you i would make sure to release russian and italian translations but I don't care about these two ones.

From the prospect of mere sources of income I believe translations are something which always pays back so don't add it to your next stretch goals coz we all know you should and will do as many as possible in order to make more money easily.

Edited by Rozkurwiciel

I don't know if this has been said yet, but before the last week lay out ALL the stretch goals and make a nice stretch goal graphic for the final push. You can still add another if we actually managed to reach the last, but it is important for the last push to have full incentive to back more the entire time. Not waiting and letting it run out of steam.

• Like 2

For the love of god, let us have a Stronghold, not a House.

The difference between a House and a Stronghold is that the Stronghold improves depending on quests, the money you give, etc.

I like the idea of a stronghold a lot. Hope a developer latches on to it.

Hello Guildmaster,

Here's a few random notions on possible rewards:

- A limited edition PE contributor's T-shirt would make a nice conversation point.

- An insider CD video of designer comments following the release.

- Collectable playing cards illustrated with concept art.

- Custom table-top gaming miniature based on an in-game character or creature.

The current trend of stretch goals seems fine to me. As was noted above, overreaching might not be beneficial. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

New stretch goals added but no info yet hopeully soon, Barbarian cipher class, adventurer's hall and nice artwork.

More in game items would be nice, and artwork prints etc.

Edited by axan22

I second C2B. It's important to have the stretch goal map and all the goals laid out on the page, it gives people something to shoot for, Build it, and they will come, and all that. That said, you need some distant ones to get people fired up...3 mil, 4 mil, even the crazily unreachable 5 million, because you never know.

My suggestions: 3 mil. George Ziets and all the other guys you had to fire after the Microsoft cancellation are back, because Obsidian are known to make some of the best-written and most intricately-designed games in the business, and MOAR NARRATIVE CONTENT!!11!!

3.5 mil (Or however much is needed to make them): Mod tools. A must, as has been said before. NWN, Morrowind, people are still modding--and buying!--these games today, to a great degree because of the terrific modding tools. These tools would galvanize the community like nothing else. Also, yet another faction and land, because everyone loves to explore. Nothing spells longevity and enthusiasm for an RPG like the thought it would require multiple playthroughs just to see all the content. There's a reason Bethesda sells 10 million copies a pop nowadays, and it's obviously not because of the writing. Present this one with a new map, though, in addition to the map we've all already seen, so people can see what's being added. Leverage your writing talent to sell the new locations, with pop-up descriptions when you mouse over them on the map. Do it on your forums, do it on the facebook page, just so long as you do it.

4 mil. Secret dungeons for ultra-high level characters, as well as other types of high-level content. This is what gets the hardcore fired up, and they're your backers right now, and most likely to up their contributions.

Finally, 4 mil. also needs a surprise announcement, that no one saw coming, but that everyone will agree is a fantastic addition. Because fans want to be listened to, but they also want to be led. Since you'll be needing even more narrative designers to populate the new land, IMHO you should add the Mad Inventor of Morrowind, Ken Rolston. He's worked on D&D since the horse-and-buggy days, he was to a great degree responsible for what made Morrowind so unique, before Todd Howard led them down the dumbed-down path of Call of Skyrim, he's wanted to do another text-heavy RPG for forever, and since the implosion of 38 studios is conspicuously available, and, oh, did I mention, MOAR NARRATIVE CONTENT!!1!!!!!111!

REVISED SUGGESTION:

2.8 million: new region, expanded end-game content

3 million: Italian translation and localization, mounts

3.2 million: working economy, issuing trade manifests, player character owned city

DLC: The same as before. Added Dungeon Levels for Mega-Dungeon, Seafaring and Aquatic Adventures, Huge Mega-City, and MAYBE Romantic Adventures Series of DLC.

Spinoffs: The same as before. Mega-Dungeon of a Hundred Random Levels, Learn Algebra and Calculus from Project Eternity Merchants, Learn Grammar and Advanced Grammar from Project Eternity Nobles, Campsite of Doom and Trees, and MAYBE a Project Eternity Grand Strategy game and a Project Eternity card game (where opponents can be major characters from PE).

Figurehead: Ultima had Lord British, monolithic and (almost) all-powerful. Forgotten Realms has Elminster, wizardly wandering powerhouse. Dragon Age has Flemeth, dangerous yet fallible, wise yet at times outguessed. Who in this game is the figurehead that is wise and powerful, reiterating in game after game? Will it be a character so decentralized as Flemeth or Cid? Will it be several characters bound together by a pact or oath or duty? Will it be weak yet unkillable characters who of sheer fortune continue to appear as comic relief?

Edited by septembervirgin

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."