Stretch Goals and Backer Rewards - What do you think?

Well, I suppose that's a fair point. I still love voice acting. Even if we didn't have full voice acting, I'd want certain key plot points or events to be voiced over.

Voicing the first line before you actually make choices would probably work. It still gives you the characterization that voice can add without limiting the writers. In the right games, I love voice. But for a game like this -- particularly on a lower budget -- I just think they should go largely without it.

Edited by ogrezilla

1) Big Goals: A number of folks have suggested adding "big ass goals": Things like 3 or 4M stretch goals, but bigger in terms of scope. What kinds of things would you want to see that you think would motivate the community to invest more, and/or find more backers to get involved? (Besides mod tools or multiplayer)

Fully realized turnbased mode (if it can be done without too much compromises) at somewhere around 3 mil would, I think, gather (and regather) some more interest (seeing how the hint at going for cooldowns has created some buzz). At least it would be worth money for me and few people I know (I'd personally take even a fairly simple TB over RTwP -- though, that said, I wouldn't want it to decidedly be made as simple as possible).

Mod tools - that are of no consequence to me, though - could also spike up some interest.

2) Backer Rewards: With respect to backer rewards (basically when we hit certain thresholds of backer counts), do you like the ever expanding mega dungeon as an incentive, and if not, do you have suggestions for things you think would encourage folks to reach out to their friends to get involved?

Rather than backer count, I think this sort of system would be better placed within those "Big Goals". Say, for example, 3.5 million stretch goal (just for examples sake, I've no idea if that amount could cover all this or if it is over the required already): TB mode, Mod tools, double the size of the initial mega dungeon +what ever smaller extra swag that could be offered.

3) Other Stretch/Backer Feedback? Have any other feedback you think would help this be better?

The Beta key offer for 25 bucks for everyone is cheapening the 140+ reward tiers, and (to me) sounds almost like an encouragement to downgrade.

Generally I think these "small" goals (like crafting and player house and whatnot) should've been bundled into bigger chunks that offer higher levels of variety for more people to get interested in each and further away from each other from the get go.

/ 2cents

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Suggestions for stretch goals (3.0M or above):

-Adding XX major sidequests or XX guild quests to the game

-Hiring/delegating additional staff for PE (artists, programmers, designer)

-Orchestral soundtrack

-Making-of documentary

-Adding Russian/Polish/Italian translations (maybe below 3.0M)

-Adding (another?) big city to the game with NPCs, story, lore and quests (would probably fit at 4.0M)

-Modding tools and support (also 4.0M)

But personally I would simply like the expansion of the game to the extend of BG2 if it could be filled with good NPCs, quests, levels and lore (maybe 5.0M stretchgoal or above...) :yes:

Pretty much this. He covered it all :yes: I don't agree with the documentary though, I'd rather all funding go straight into the game.

I strongly agree though that Obsidian need to add some high levels stretch goals very soon. Right now the goals get put up too close in proximity to where current funding is at, so people feel little urge to contribute to help reach them.

I would definitely put mod tools as one of the bigger stretch goals, since it could bring in a load of cash, and from what Obsidian has said sounded like it would take extra effort/work.

I hope for a Vance Kovaks/Justin Sweet stretch goal too ;) (not that the dwarf ranger art didn't look great btw)

Edited by NoxNoctum

Personally i dont like turn based combat. Makes it too easy when the enemy is just standing there while you think out a murder everything combo. Much rather prefer real time where i have to think on my feet and react.

The Ultra-hardcore players should stoping pretending that combat-graphics isn't important for the vast majority of us.

I would hope if you're here you aren't going to care if the graphics are state of the art or not.

Dont think it was graphics he was talking about but combat animations like swings and spells. That is something i hope will be decent at least.

Ideas I like (some more, some less):

• Construction kit
  • (Optional) full party creation
  • Another major city hub/region/continent
  • Hire George Ziets
  • Other writers/designers to hire: Leonard Boyarsky, Jason Anderson, Chris Taylor, Neal Hallford, Michael Stackpole ;)
  • Lots of in-game books/scroll/all kinds of lore-related things
  • Class-specific strongholds
  • Expansion pack (at $4-5 mil or something)

Best of all: Turn based combat mode designed by DW Bradley or Ian and Linda Currie :p

• Like 2

I would like to remind some words of Tim Cain:

Instead, we plan to add additional personnel to achieve those new goals. We are also planning our goals to spread the workload to different departments. Some features need a lot of additional code, other needs more artwork. We tried to avoid a set of stretch goals that would tax one department too much.

I would not want a goal too far from current and estimated funds (like $4-5 mil). It is better to set rather far but reasonable goal of $3 mil.

Having said that, a good complex stretch goal to me would be something like:

- George Ziets joining the project AND

- Class-specific strongholds (or race-specific) AND

- italian/polish/russian translation AND

- making-of documentary (digital or on discs), look at LotR EE.

Ideas I like (some more, some less):

• Construction kit
  • (Optional) full party creation
  • Another major city hub/region/continent
  • Hire George Ziets
  • Other writers/designers to hire: Leonard Boyarsky, Jason Anderson, Chris Taylor, Neal Hallford, Michael Stackpole ;)
  • Lots of in-game books/scroll/all kinds of lore-related things
  • Class-specific strongholds
  • Expansion pack (at $4-5 mil or something)

Best of all: Turn based combat mode designed by DW Bradley or Ian and Linda Currie :p

Excellent ideas,expecially the Neal Hallford one since the BaK spiritual successor won't happen because binding its fate to some obscure,well hidden poll on the net isn't the best idea ever.

The VA department could use some names... at 3 million, hire David Ogden Stiers as the narrator (Narrator/Belhifet in Icewind Dale) plus one of:

David Warner as a major character (Irenicus in Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn)

Grey DeLisle as a major character (Nalia de'Arnise and Viconia DeVir in the BG series)

Jim Cummings as major character (Minsc in the BG series, Arundel and Hrothgar in Icewind Dale)

Mitch Pileggi as a major character (Dak'kon in Planescape: Torment)

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

This is loosely related to the object of this thread, but the sudden influx of backers today at european hours has got me thinking that translations does not make good stretch goals. Sure, you will have a little bump on the moment, but not much excitation the days after. Most of the effects come the day it is reached and after, so it comes in reverse to what a stretch goal should be. It's a condition for new backers to come, not an incentive for most of them.

That's something Obsidian should think about for Italian/polish/russian. Devs should put it right out of the box, or with something really interesting for all the backers, to move it quickly out of the way.

Another thing interesting to maximize the effects of stretch goal is to render them the most detailed and immersive possible. That seems to be working quite effectively with The Endless Paths of Od Nua, instead of just another big dungeon :lol:

• Like 1

3.5M - Hire George Ziets - he will be responsible for writing another major questline.

This. This. This! Although I think 3M should be enough.

Having a recognizable and talented person onboard the project as a stretchgoal (whether it's Ziets, Mark Morgan or Justin Sweet) will probably raise a lot more funding, like it did for WL2.

I also think that additional time and resources for polishing the game would be a great stretch goal, as it would make the backers a lot more confident that the game will have a minimum of bugs and balancing issues at release date.

lol, isn't Ziets already in obsidian?

and you people are very, very optimist on the stretch goals, at this rate it will barely reach the 2.4 mark

Edited by ilhdr

We can't explain how excited we are to do that.

I can understand. If I were in your shoes I would probably be very excited. This is why I have faith in Obsidian that no matter what spawns out of this process I believe it is going to be great :)

I really wish they aim for full voice over for major characters, companions and NPCs.

Can you imagine a voiceless or minimum one liner here and there for Kreia from Kotor2? The absence of Grey DeLisle sexing Janine to life in the Vampire the Masquerade? I may be the pariah in this forum but I say bring on the VO!

In Game

Sub Races,

Sub clases (baldurs gate 2

Romance options

Class/Race specific quests (Holy avenger etc)

Added to backer rewards

Making of documentary dvd/blu ray

Mouse mat

Posters/Prints

An item such as coin etc ties in with lore

Minature of character

Edited by axan22

You know what would be a cool stretch goal? To let you acquire and build special objects in your house that give long-term lasting buffs. (Perhaps it sets the buff button on you and then you can trigger it whenever and it lasts for, like, 3 minutes or something.) Not only would this give you a reason to return home periodically, this can be a fun mechanic that takes some of the buffing load off your casters. It's not a lot of fun to have a caster when 80% of your spells are just buffs that make your party combat effective and you don't really get to use a lot of the more interesting and situational spells.

It could also be a fun thing if building the object that gives you the buff requires you to find plans and materials and spend a ton of cash to get it installed. You could also, say, have rooms that improve your crafting or let you fast-travel to certain places. You could even have, say, an "anchor" obelisk that lets you instantly teleport to your house.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

First, in order to attract people to the game, you need at least a screenshot of how you plan to game looks graphically.

To the topic:

- Epic hidden big bosses(cracken etc.)

- Sea quest/ piracy

- Big Underworld city (dwarf? Drow? Goblin?)

- Russian, Polish, Italian translations

- Romance...

Edited by barmaglo

First, in order to attract people to the game, you need at least a screenshot of how you plan to game looks graphically.

I think I read somewhere that they're working on a screenshot now. Just a case of being patient I guess. It's important they do it right and don't rush it.

To the topic:

- Epic hidden big bosses(cracken etc.)

- Sea quest/ piracy

- Big Underworld city (dwarf? Drow? Goblin?)

- Russian, Polish, Italian translations

- Romance...

Good suggestions, except romance.

Now THAT I would very much like to see in the game.

I don't know. A manable city you can become the ruler of seems like the kind of over-ambitious feature Lionhead would attempt in one of their games. The idea sounds good on paper, but would it actually work well in game?

I think it would be difficult to implement with the level of depth and complexity expected in an oldschool cRPG like Project Eternity.

Mutiple starting areas/quests depending on class/race (even if different parts of same village dungeon etc just means class/race has bit more effect)

Multiple endings

Pets

More in game items for backers of different levels (even if cosmetic)

Backer exclusive portraits/character customisation even if just a hair/clothing colour

Physical strategy guide, soundtrack, Novel

• Like 2