Stretch Goals and Backer Rewards - What do you think?

New Game Plus if no one has mentioned it

Adventuring option after main quest resolution

Class specific strongholds; each with their own quests

I'll add more as I think of them

In a way, that's already available. The two million stretch goal included Player Housing, which could be exactly what you want depending on how Obsidian deals with it. :)

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

New Game Plus if no one has mentioned it

Adventuring option after main quest resolution

Class specific strongholds; each with their own quests

I'll add more as I think of them

In a way, that's already available. The two million stretch goal included Player Housing, which could be exactly what you want depending on how Obsidian deals with it. :)

Yes, but the player housing sounds like more of a personal home+. I'm thinking more along the lines of BG2 and possibly adding in aspects of xroads keep. BTW, I'm not particularly in favor or against any of these personally, just what I've gleaned from community comments

I'd

Also, expanded voicework, narrative? A David Warner type narrator at 4 mil?

For backer levels, possibly an illustrated/ graphic novel version of Chris Avellone's novella by Justin Sweet or one of the other forum faves

I'd like to see hear someone like David Ogden Stiers (Icewind Dale narrator) do the narratives.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

I'd

Also, expanded voicework, narrative? A David Warner type narrator at 4 mil?

For backer levels, possibly an illustrated/ graphic novel version of Chris Avellone's novella by Justin Sweet or one of the other forum faves

I'd like to see hear someone like David Ogden Stiers (Icewind Dale narrator) do the narratives.

Yes, that would be great...completely forgot he did that narrative! It was really spot on.

I think the feature that would most influence me to increase my pledge would be a player stronghold a la Crossroad Keep in NWN2. A player house is all well and good, but something that ties in nicely into the storyline with plot significance makes it mean so much more. It doesn't have to be a castle, but something that is important instead of just a side fluff hangout.

I think the feature that would most influence me to increase my pledge would be a player stronghold a la Crossroad Keep in NWN2. A player house is all well and good, but something that ties in nicely into the storyline with plot significance makes it mean so much more. It doesn't have to be a castle, but something that is important instead of just a side fluff hangout.

Yeah, fluff elements are useless... much like Shepard's house in Mass Effect 1 (Pinnacle Station DLC).

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

So feargus posted the following possible stretch goal?

Sorry Everyone! I have to run, having dinner with Chris Taylor (Fallout Chris Taylor, not GPG Chris Taylor).. :) I will be on later though.

Oct. 01, 2012 on Project Eternity.

~Seattle Supersonic of the Obsidian Order~

Chris Hansen is the Savior of Seattle

I'd like to see really epic monsters added.

Not just dragons, but maybe like every 50 or 100 k there could be an epic monster quest added, which would involve maybe a dragon, a 300yd 16ft thick snake, a Fenrir type wolf the size of a house, a 40 ft giant, a sea monster, etc. Like a quest that involved one the most epic, gigantic, awesome monsters/creatures from lore.

Might be cool. Ha.

I'm okay with the ship thing, but I guess that kind of leads down the rabbit hole... if you can get a ship, why not a zeppelin? And would you really pilot it, or would it just end up as a fast-travel system? (The maps aren't seamless and have loading screens, no?)

Mod tools would be okay.

Not against the endless dungeon, but try to make every level have a story and not be repetitive.

• Like 1

The best thing for a stretch goal will be early playable content such as a Character Creation Tool with a playable area or prologue to introduce fans to the world and its mechanics.

This should happen sometime in 2013 and will serve two purposes:

Firstly, it will introduce fans to the world and its mechanics. People will have a better idea of the kind of character they might like to roll and the play style they prefer.

Secondly, It will give fans something to whet their appetites while they wait for the game release...not only that, it will increase the buzz and awareness about the game

At the request of fans, Bioware has been done a character creation tool all the Dragon Age games to date. It is a very popular feature.

• Like 1

I agree with most of the above, lots of good ideas, especially LordCrash's list. I also think the 2,500 backers/extra level thing is a very cool idea, and definitely motivated me to get the word out more.

The main thing I would like to see as a possible stretch goal is some sort of behind the scenes videos, probably not to the level of what 2 Player Productions is doing for Double Fine Adventure, but I find that stuff really interesting. I know there's a behind the scenes book in some of the reward tiers, so that might have some of this detail covered already. But some way of getting regular updates during the development process (aside from the forums) while we wait for 2014, would be great.

I also wouldn't want much information to be given away during these videos, as I think that might end up spoiling the game somewhat. So more on the development side, what the process is that you're going through, etc.

As far as stretch goals, the reason I haven't been motivated to increase my pledge more (yet :) is that I don't know a lot about what we were already getting in the base game. Rather than the current system of 'at X stretch goal, we receive +1 characters, +1 races, etc', it would be useful to know 'at X stretch goal, we will have double the lines of text dialog in PST, or double the number of quests in BG2' (or the number of monster encounters from IWD', etc).

Not sure how feasible it would be to do that, but currently I'm just assuming (as I think are a lot of people) that we were already getting a great game at 1.1 million, and so it's a bit vague what the stretch goals are going to add in content terms. Apologies if this has already been addressed somewhere on the forums or elsewhere.

And thanks for listening to the community and providing everyone this opportunity to be involved in the process. Just following along the Kickstarter campaign has been fascinating in itself.

Edited by mike55

2.5M:

- finishing moves

- random big bosses (need to find them)

- day/night time

- adding Russian/Polish/Italian translations (2,3M)

- animations of the battle - parrying, blocking, avoiding hits, etc. (2,8M)

Edited by jediwolf

Modding tools, IMO is the most powerful ace here.

Making the big 3.0 million dollar stretch goal for modding tool will be fitting. After that, the sky is pretty much the limit.

With modding tools, the community will be able to pretty much customize the game to their liking and so on, I don't need to elaborate on the importance of it. Its a must. I'd go as far as to say its mandatory, or at least it should be. :biggrin: Its better than yet another companion or another dungeon because with it, you can have unlimited companion, dungeons, and other content from the community.

Edited by Hornet85

2.5 million: new region, expanded end-game content

2.7 million: Italian and Polish translation and localization, mounts

DLC: Added Dungeon Levels for Mega-Dungeon, Seafaring and Aquatic Adventures, Huge Mega-City

Spinoffs: Mega-Dungeon of a Hundred Random Levels, Learn Algebra and Calculus from Project Eternity Merchants, Learn Grammar and Advanced Grammar from Project Eternity Nobles, Campsite of Doom and Trees

I know it's not a stretch goal nor a backer reward, but every successful computer role-playing game has a unique animal mascot or several. For Dragon Age there are several (arguably mabari are central). For Baldur's Gate (both) it was Boo the Miniature Giant Space Hamster. Planescape Torment had a happy-go-lucky skull. We needn't mention yellow ostriches. What animal would Project Eternity consider their "friendly pet" companion, if any? Will there be a mascot?

• Like 1

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

Seeing as how the KS is predicted to top off at north of $3.8 mil, I'd like to see a pie-in-the-sky $4 or $4.5 million stretch goal filled with a ton of extra content:

- double the number of items included in-game

- add bonus merchants (similar to BG2's P:T and IWD merchants)

- a challenge arena with multiple waves

- fund an expansion pack (something that gives you the chance to venture to a whole new area and play a 5-10 hour minicampaign), even with a secondary antagonist

- an extra hub city/cities (with multiple sectors and minor/major quests)

- NG+ option with additional content and encounters

- an extra bonus boss

- multiple strongholds/cities that can be reclaimed (maybe add a real estate buying/upgrading mechanic?)

- add another 5+ level megadungeon

Well i think larger "jumps" with more details on how it will expand the world...

For example lets say you get 1million extra then you go add a "expansion"sized content to the game...

2 new classes, new races, New features, a few new regions, new factions, another "dungeon (maybe a ruined castle?), More items and item "types" (for weapons) another companion, expanded spell system, more music a "main" town or a large town, "secret" areas that require puzzles to find.

^-- (Just a example as i dont know enough about the game to say how large a expansion could be)

Beside that i guess you have to bring in certain people to the project that most people want... Tools to edit the game.

And then it would ofc be good to go out and say some "general" information on how large the game is in comparison to some other game. That way its easier for people to go like "wow there is going to be that many new "areas" within the game and each is the size of a area in BG?

Also i like the general idea to tie the number of backers with some kind of goal also.

Edited by Kaldurenik

3M a Giant city in style of Athakla/Baldur's Gate, with a lot of quests and secrets.

3.5M - Hire George Ziets - he will be responsible for writing another major questline.

4M - Mod Tools with documentation.

4,5M - Hire Justin Sweet to do character portraits and set mood for the game, full orchestral soundtrack.

• Like 1

It's hard to think of stuff that would be useful, but I agree about the music. If you have the budget for an orchestra, that would be great.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

This would really have to tie in with the story, but I'd like to see some really big scale event in the game that would drastically and visually change things everywhere. For example: a magical storm that spreads destruction all around the world altering every map in the game, drives a lot of people into exile and causes a huge spike in banditry.

That would be a big ass stretch goal, most likely.

• Like 1

Not sure Obsidian is doing it the right way here. I mean, it's in the name : stretch goal. It seems obvious to me that the game will reach 3 millions, so you should put everything in there that should be the core experience : all the races, classes, compagnons and features (like crafting or translations) that you think is basic for the game. For instance, for the races, you wanted the typical, the godlike and the specials, that make 7 : human, elves, dwarves, two godlikes, two stranges ones and that's it for the core experience. Same with compagnons, classes and features.

After the core game, you can add the big things in packs to put the pledgers in this kind of mood : if there isn't 3.5 million, I won't have my big city, if we don't reach 4 million, I won't have the pirate or flying factions with their own set of specific features, quests and compagnons,...

See what I mean : you need to set a financial pool that's good enough for a core experience, everything else is a stretch to push people's imagination further along. Without it, we feel running like headless chickens :lol:

• Like 1