Stretch Goals and Backer Rewards - What do you think?

Hi guys,

One of the most exciting things about working on this game is that we can do so with you guys throughout the entire process. No need to "go dark" or severely limit the kinds of topics we discuss. The funding to create this game is coming from you. You are our boss on this one, and throughout the process of this game, we want to make sure we're doing our best for you.

To be blunt, we obviously want to continue to raise funding for this game as much as we can. Doing that helps us do more with the game and just make it more polished and as awesome as we can for as many of the fans of this type of game as we can reach. For fans of PS:T, Baldur's Gate, and Icewind, we want to bring you that feel of game again. We can't explain how excited we are to do that.

To that end, we want to make sure we're giving you guys the things you'd like to see to get involved with the game. We want to know a few things about our stretch goals, and if you're willing to share your thoughts, we'd appreciate it!

1) Big Goals: A number of folks have suggested adding "big ass goals": Things like 3 or 4M stretch goals, but bigger in terms of scope. What kinds of things would you want to see that you think would motivate the community to invest more, and/or find more backers to get involved? (Besides mod tools or multiplayer)

2) Backer Rewards: With respect to backer rewards (basically when we hit certain thresholds of backer counts), do you like the ever expanding mega dungeon as an incentive, and if not, do you have suggestions for things you think would encourage folks to reach out to their friends to get involved?

3) Other Stretch/Backer Feedback? Have any other feedback you think would help this be better?

Thanks everyone!

-TG

• Like 3

Suggestions for stretch goals (3.0M or above):

-Adding XX major sidequests or XX guild quests to the game

-Hiring/delegating additional staff for PE (artists, programmers, designer)

-Orchestral soundtrack

-Making-of documentary

-Adding Russian/Polish/Italian translations (maybe below 3.0M)

-Adding (another?) big city to the game with NPCs, story, lore and quests (would probably fit at 4.0M)

-Modding tools and support (also 4.0M)

But personally I would simply like the expansion of the game to the extend of BG2 if it could be filled with good NPCs, quests, levels and lore (maybe 5.0M stretchgoal or above...) :yes:

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 17
35167v4.jpg

Probably sailing and piracy with perhaps some sea creature encounters for $3M.

I'm not saying like you'd steer it, but you find NPCs around the world who you could hire to work on your ship you've gotten via purchasing/questing for it. You then go to where it is, tell the helmsman to set sail for X destination, and off you go! The specifics of the system could be whatever but iWouldn't suspect movement animations for the ships, or only static ones to show them like moving up to board one another.

Would open up room for lots of interesting water/naval based questing, which would fit with the tech period you're shooting for.

• Like 1

CORSAIR, n. A politician of the seas. ~The Devil's Dictionary

-Orchestral soundtrack

-Making-of documentary

-Adding (another?) big city to the game with NPCs, story, lore and quests (would probably fit at 4.0M)

But personally I would simply like the expansion of the game to the extend of BG2 if it could be filled with good NPCs, quests, levels and lore (mapbe 5.0M stretchgoal...) :yes:

Basically this. Oh and a spell creation/customisation feature much like the weapon one featured in the 2.4 million stretch.

• Like 1

Legendary Weapons Made By You - A post about weapon customisation and creating your own legendary items

Magic Spell Customisation - A post about adapting spells to fit your style, making news ones from old

$4million+ raised, I think our jobs here are done.

I like the ideas of a making of doc and ship sailing/sea monsters posted above so +1 to those. I think an underwater section would be pretty neat too. This could be achieved with an item that gives the PC water breathing and free movement and would provide a unique setting with some interesting NPCs and monsters. So I guess more and unique areas and quest.

I am pleased with the mega-dungeon announcement and I really hope it gets to epic proportions.

Edited by Thulean
  • Like 2

-Orchestral soundtrack

-Making-of documentary

But personally I would simply like the expansion of the game to the extend of BG2 if it could be filled with good NPCs, quests, levels and lore (maybe 5.0M stretchgoal or above...) :yes:

These are all excellent ideas. :yes: I was just about to suggest an additional big city, as well as a stretch goal related to the overall scale of the game.

• Like 1

2) No, I don't think adding new levels to a dungeon for each xx backers is a good idea. You should design the dungeon how you envisioned it. Eleven levels below ground or more.. I'll find hardly believable or entertaining.

New outdoor areas sound more appealing to me, with some little crypts and caves of their own.

• Like 7

-Orchestral soundtrack

-Making-of documentary

+1 on this. Especially the documentary, soundtrack, and hiring of staff. Make it epic, polish this sucker like no other game before it, and make it the best damned game of this type in existence.

• Like 5

1) I think this is really hard to make suggestions for without really... *knowing* the game so to speak and also with no idea how much things really cost and so forth. I had a topic a few days ago talking about having a big city that was really alive and dense, like Athkatla or Sigil... Maybe something like that, or an additional one if there are already plans for one.

But yeah, it's really hard to know what would be suitable for the project and the budget.

Thing is, the design for the game is already targeting games like BG and Torment. And those are ambitious games in their own right.

I guess I personally would just like to see more core content (companions, factions, areas etc) put into the game as the budget goes up. But I guess that some people want something else.

2) I think this is a good idea to bring in more backers. And having a big dungeon that increases in size with more backers is a great approach I think. It also seems perfectly "doable" while still ambitious. I think it'd be great to highlight again in upcoming updates just to bring home that it's about the number of backers here and that just pledging a small amount is a clear win situation for us. And maybe have some small tidbits in upcoming updates about what the design for such an area (I mean in terms of combat, traps, non-combat etc etc) could possibly look like. Just to keep reminding folks of it.

3) Putting up some more incremental stretch goals (the ones for each 100 or 200k reached) would be nice.

Also, please keep doing what you're doing with the constant updates. The more you update, the more in touch with people you are, the more the project stays in people's minds.

Also, I don't know what the theme could be, but it'd be great to have a video up with some of the head guys (like Josh, Adam, Tim, Chris etc etc) just talking about... something together. Maybe giving a brief overview of some of their favorite RPGs and discussing what could possibly be brought back from those into Project Eternity, if anything. I dunno... I think people would appreciate just sitting on some from of discussion with the guys.

EDIT: Just please don't put the cart in front of the horse or whatever the saying is. It seems you guys have been pretty careful and conservative in how you've laid out the project, and not promising too many crazy things. I for one really appreciate that and it gives me more hope for the final product. Some people are suggesting an orchestra for example, but let us first hear about the different directions the music might actually take (a more electronic or ambient soundtrack doesn't need to be out-of-place just because it's a fantasy game for example).

Edited by Starwars
  • Like 10

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Actually the dungeon tied in with backer goal, I think that should be tied in with overall $$$ goal. You want a bigger dungeon up pledge.

Stretch goals: 2nd continent/world with all new histories/lore

Mod tools

George Ziets/Justin sweet/mark Morgan etc

~Seattle Supersonic of the Obsidian Order~

Chris Hansen is the Savior of Seattle

A seaborn adventure is interesting, but would maybe hit a little too close to the tack Bioware used in BG2?

Personally I'd like to see non-lethal/non-standard weapons and tactics (nets, saps, whips, bolas, garrotes, etc.) announced as a stretch goal for making the combat more varied and rich.

I say stretchgoal, because i think its likely that this feature would take a lot of careful balancing and testing which could use up some significant resources.

As for the questions being asked. The big ass goals thing is tough for me answer, but i love the ever growing dungeon; really a brilliant idea. Beyond that I also appreciate the measured and careful approach.

Edited by nikolokolus

2) No, I don't think adding new levels to a dungeon for each xx backers is a good idea. You should design the dungeon how you envisioned it. Eleven levels below ground or more.. I'll find hardly believable or entertaining.

New outdoor areas sound more appealing to me, with some little crypts and caves of their own.

I disagree - I think it's great. I really love the idea of a seemingly endless, epic dungeon you can get lost in... rather than having tons of glorified caves you can breeze through. The more levels the better.

• Like 1

Ruins of undermountain??? Had 20 levels I think

~Seattle Supersonic of the Obsidian Order~

Chris Hansen is the Savior of Seattle

1) Big Goals: I'd hope for mod tools not be up there in the 4M area. Selfish of me, I know, but feedback is feedback. :p I cannot really add because mod tools and multiplayer are the big guns. But I don't think that you can go wrong with "extra classes and races" though but it seems that adding even more companions based on those new classes could make some writers go nuts... :p Not really sure if translations really is good idea at so high range. I may be biased as my innerself doesn't believe in getting more than 3M though. I hope ye prove me wrong. ;)

2) Backer Rewards: I like the expanding dungeon based on backers. Make Halaster proud! Proposing extra races? Proposing translations? A video of all the Obsidian team singing?

3) Other Stretch/Backer Feedback? Choirs in music are epic.

1) Big Goals: A number of folks have suggested adding "big ass goals": Things like 3 or 4M stretch goals, but bigger in terms of scope. What kinds of things would you want to see that you think would motivate the community to invest more, and/or find more backers to get involved? (Besides mod tools or multiplayer)

You've excluded two of the four I could think of. The third one is to have a large city, like Athkatla from Baldur's Gate 2. I think this would fit well at $3M (unless you were thinking of doing it regardless).

The last one is more translations, but only do that after you add the Paypal option and gauge its effect. The impact of the French/German/Spanish translation stretch goal was statistically negligible, but this might be because Kickstarter does not accept the payment methods used by most Europeans.

2) Backer Rewards: With respect to backer rewards (basically when we hit certain thresholds of backer counts), do you like the ever expanding mega dungeon as an incentive, and if not, do you have suggestions for things you think would encourage folks to reach out to their friends to get involved?

I think the expanding mega dungeon is a great idea.

3) Other Stretch/Backer Feedback? Have any other feedback you think would help this be better?

Have more unmet stretch goals visible at a time. You've added crafting at $2.4M today, but that just balances the very rapidly impeding meeting of the $2.2M goal. Having the big goals should help with this.

• Like 1

Don't go for a really big goal as 4 or 5 millions, as if they don't get hit it will fell like a failure.

Said that, I think a ultimate goal at 3.5 millions would be kind of perfect

Edited by ilhdr

Indeed, a big goal at $3M with milestones every $100K-$200K would be interesting.

One BIG goal would be something like Stoic did with the Banner Saga: they planned a game in 3 parts, with kickstarter funding only for the first. But they finally gave the entire game ( all 3 parts ) once the campaign was very successful.

Why not an "Eternity reward" at $3.0M : every backer starting at $XX tier wil get for free everything for PE 1 ( in cas there is a sequel ) : DLC / Expansion pack / whatever will be released.

• Like 1

Careful what you wish ...

oooelogo180.png ... you just might get it

-Orchestral soundtrack

-Making-of documentary

Im lazy, so +1 to this. Good thing you guys are looking at the funding trend and the need for bigger goals.

- Like many here have said, consider if you are able to bring in Justin Sweet as an extra artist, more namedropping.

- Another large goal could be something that appeals directly to the heart of rpgers. Mention more depth and complexity or more major questlines and you'll have them frothing.

Generally, just give us something to reach far for.

Edited by Gyges
  • Like 1