Personally, i loved it in Baldurs Gate and KOTOR and missed it in Dragon Age.

What I liked in DA:O though, was how it gathered (some?) statistics elsewhere and you could just look who's doing what % of overall damage.

I'd like to see something like that, more detailed even. Overall hit percentages for characters (today/all time), hits taken, kills, damage dealt.

So if you like, you can go and see who's not pulling his weight. Oh, Angry Bob cant hit worth crap with those awesome twin dualblades.

Now, when you say it - it was also a great function. Not an alternative for the combat log, IMHO, but a good addition.

I can live with and without a combat log. To be honest some feed back is appreciated (e.g. D&D/BG and weapon immunities), so you can adjust your tactics on the fly (e.g. switch weapons or retreat & reform). This kind of feedback can be in human readable form (like in the infinity engine games). Anyway when you play a game you'll get a feeling for the game mechanics (e.g. you can approximately guess opponents HP after a few encounters of the same kind and by that time you can easily decide on target priorities).

Most of the time I don't look at the combat log. Sure, in the beginning it's helpful but then you learn the ropes. And to be sincere I doubt that the game mechanics are going to change as frequently as in MMORPGs. Despite that a customizable combat log would be OK. So I can reduce the verbosity and others might increase verbosity.

Edited by beerflavour

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that this is integeral to these games in my opinion. The scrolling logs at the bottom of the screen saved my life (and my sanity) countless times.

Combat importance - In these games tactics are vitally important, an if they go with a system as complex (or more) as the DnD rules then you have to know what weapons are working and which ones aren't. Of course they can have them shout things that clue you in "This weapon does nothing??" ~ Minsc, plus I like seeing what my characters are rolling, ("Ones again!?! Start swinging that sword harder!") This also applies to spells and if a creature is uneffected or immune to a certain spell. I think that it would make the game more confusing if your casting spells and aren't sure if it's a glitch or a creature strength. For me this is hugely important/wanted.

Conversation log - Lets face it, we play these games not just for the fun combat, but the interesting stories/conversations, and anyone who's played these games before (especially BG and PS:T) Know that a conversation can go on for a long time, sometimes you miss something or read something wrong and need to review it. This is also important in the case of mistakes if you click the wrong conversation option it's nice to know what you said and why the person is being nice/angry with you.

To me this feature is integral to the game and really a part of it that I always associate with it, as much as the top down perspective. I also love the floating text descriptons/speech that were in most of the games. I don't think that this would be very difficult to implement or would be much of a drain on recources. I think that anyone who has played all of these games will agree that it's a very useful tool to have.

So here's hoping! ~~>Q: Hey Feargus, have you guys talked at all about adding a scrolling combat/text log like in Fallout or more preferably Baldur's Gate?

A: We haven't, but getting added to the list right now.

What I liked in DA:O though, was how it gathered (some?) statistics elsewhere and you could just look who's doing what % of overall damage.

I'd like to see something like that, more detailed even. Overall hit percentages for characters (today/all time), hits taken, kills, damage dealt.

Ehm, the Baldur's Gates have that too, as do the IWDs. Not sure about PS:T.

I think it should be in.

As for the combat log, if the UI is like BG2 I would prefer a button on the left to add/disable the log fullscreen. So not hidden away, but also not always shown. Of course if someone wants that it should still be possible.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I pefer fallout2 style, combat log with black humor.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget