Hello everyone, what do you think about the detailed combat log. Personally, i loved it in Baldurs Gate and KOTOR and missed it in Dragon Age. I think the combat log is the best way to understand complex game mechanics, compare weapon and armor values and improve survival chances on the very hard level. What do you say?

• Like 8

Yes, I like combat logs, as long as there's an option to minimize them during actual combat/gameplay to save on screen real estate, if you want. It'd be even cooler if you could send the log data to a text file to glance over later, like one of the pc-console commands could do in FNV.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I made a topic about this a few weeks ago though the developers never commented. I really, really hope we get a text log for combat and dialog that we can go over at our leisure. It makes RPGs much more enjoyable, especially those that are real-time with pause rather than turn-based

I want my combat log to be separated from the conversation log.

Today's monitors are wide enough to have a combat log left and a conversation log on the right. Or vice versa.

Yes.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Today's monitors are wide enough to have a combat log left and a conversation log on the right. Or vice versa.

It wouldn't work on a number of laptops, but I'd love a general text box with one tab for dialogic/narrative content and another tab for all the combat stuff. I feel they don't need to be mixed together anyway (when you're in combat, dialogue shouldn't be happening--well, besides battle shouts).

Edited by Ieo

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

The greatest combat log was fallout2

• Like 1

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

I think it takes away from roleplaying and too much into rollplaying. Considering the numbers instead of the character.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I'd understand if anyone does honestly feel that way, however. It seems like the kind of thing that could be handled by the toggles attached to expert mode. I'd like a human parse-able system for the most part and to actually see the number rolls vs. target. I think it's both fun to think about and important information to evaluate your progress. Both the character and the player should be able to figure out if they're doing well in a battle or just flailing about. Though I hope they don't take that as a limitation (avoiding shotgun rolls with 20 dice just because it'd be hard to read).

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

for a game coming out in 2014, there really is no reason we shouldn't have decent customization options for things like this in the UI. This is the kind of thing that can be added that will allow the game to feel like a classic style game without feeling plain old.

Edited by ogrezilla

I think it takes away from roleplaying and too much into rollplaying. Considering the numbers instead of the character.

PREPARE TO DIE Y--

Nah, I'm just kidding.

Oh.

Well, combat log is an interface feature which adds more transparency to roleplaying system. When you can actually see what affects what, it supports roleplaying, not hinders it, because you get a better feel of how your decisions in creating character worked out, and what you might want to fix to make him closer to a char you wanted to play.

It is also a great feature to include random banter and spoken rumours, to serve as an additional, easely summoned journal analogue, and to add text narrative ("You see Edd. Edd's dead.") to the game. All in one window. Add some filtering buttons a la Wizardry 8, and you got yourself a dream-like UI feature.

Edited by Shadenuat

I always used the To Hit rolls option in all the IE games that had it.

I thought it was weird at first that your character would only do damage on 1/10 swings of his sword.

Turned on to hit rolls, oh right, useless animations.

Edited by Sensuki

Personally, i loved it in Baldurs Gate and KOTOR and missed it in Dragon Age.

What I liked in DA:O though, was how it gathered (some?) statistics elsewhere and you could just look who's doing what % of overall damage.

I'd like to see something like that, more detailed even. Overall hit percentages for characters (today/all time), hits taken, kills, damage dealt.

So if you like, you can go and see who's not pulling his weight. Oh, Angry Bob cant hit worth crap with those awesome twin dualblades.

• Like 1

Not so much of a combat log as intended by the OP, but a personal favourite of mine is the "kills log". I love when a game keeps track of how many skeleton I killed, how many trolls and so on.

In the good old Diablo 1 you'd discover more about a certain type of monster, the more you killed of its kind. Like how many max HP can it have, what level range can it be and such.

Edited by DocDoomII