Races: What to expect

So what races do you think we will be getting? Common sense dicates the common high fantasy setting races.

Humans

-With a multitude of sub-races

Elves

-Dark Elves?

-High Elves?

-Wild Elves?

-Etc.

Dwarfs

-Classic Deep Dwarves?

-The Wild Dwarves we saw in pic.

God-Like

But what about

Halfings?

Dragonkin?

Orcs?

And what about hybrids?

Discuss.

Edited by NKKKK

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

The 4x100m.

The 110m hurdles.

The Boston Marathon.

The Indianapolis 500.

Gnomes.

A really spirited game of duck duck goose trying to pass itself off as a race.

A biathlon using arquebuses.

The 100m freestyle.

When you try to be so deep and witty it goes over people's heads.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

I expect Obsidian to cleverly twist overdone classical race tropes like the Dwarf boreal ranger alongside more interesting original races and creatures, which is why I'm not going to speculate and just sit back and wait on this aspect of the game.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I expect Obsidian to cleverly twist overdone classical race tropes like the Dwarf boreal ranger alongside more interesting original races and creatures, which is why I'm not going to speculate and just sit back and wait on this aspect of the game.

Exactly I don't want evil black elves or drunk dwarves. I want sober dwarves and nice dark elves

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

I hope the Human sub-races, if they have them, are done well. They tend to come across as a bit racist, is it Oblivion that has a black version of Humans that have enhanced physical stats but reduced intelligence?

Yes, but remember intelligence in the game represents magical affinity, which the Redguard (black humans) don't have much of. It's not that racist though, in Skyrim they're fine, indepedent power, while the rest of human provinces are getting their asses handed to them by elves.

There was a even a spin off game where you played as a redguard hero.

• Like 1

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

I hope the Human sub-races, if they have them, are done well. They tend to come across as a bit racist, is it Oblivion that has a black version of Humans that have enhanced physical stats but reduced intelligence?

Yes, but remember intelligence in the game represents magical affinity, which the Redguard (black humans) don't have much of. It's not that racist though, in Skyrim they're fine, indepedent power, while the rest of human provinces are getting their asses handed to them by elves.

Regardless of it's in-game use, it's still called Intelligence and they still have a penalty to it, I'm sure the developers didn't mean anything by it but it does have unfortunate implications.

Personally, I hope sub-races are more of a cultural thing than a stat-driven thing.

I don't know what other races to expect.

Truth to be told I'm more than a little surprised that there'll be dwarves and elves... again.

What can change the nature of a fantasy RPG setting?

Not a lot, I think

Edited by NKKKK

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Truth to be told I'm more than a little surprised that there'll be dwarves and elves... again.

I wish it could change, or at least refocus away from dwarves and elves. Make playable dryads, harpies or minotaurs.

Beetle-headed women, cactus men with shaven arm-pit stubble, and omniscient giant interdimensional spiders with the dialog of the Fool from King Leer.

• Like 2

Always like to see interesting hybrids. Not sure why, but I like them. It seems like there's a lot of opportunity in the world of Eternity for mixing of cultures. It would be nice to see some hybrids between two non-human species (not recalling any offhand in previous D&D or similar games, but I'm sure somebody can prove me wrong). What is a half-elf/half-dwarf like? Orc/Dragonkin, or God-like halflings?

I feel like dwarves and elves are so common in general fantasy that it makes as much sense to include them as it does humans. As long as you don't overplay differences between the big three (humans, elves, and dwarves), I think you need to actually make the case for them not to be included. So while I'm interested to see how the game plays with previous tropes of the big three, I'm much more interested in the two races that are so undeveloped and original that they can't even be explained to us yet.

Beetle-headed women, cactus men with shaven arm-pit stubble, and omniscient giant interdimensional spiders with the dialog of the Fool from King Leer.

You should make games.

I'm just presenting 3 of the creatures I thought were rather... silly, from Perdido Street Station. There's more novels set in the same setting (Bas-Lag) by the author (China Mieville).

I will be blunt with you. They are rather silly, and after I realized I just read 2 pages of a grown man with the equivalent of a Ph. D in metaphysics having head-sex with what is basically a tan woman who's neck cuts off and has a giant scarab beetle that communicates via spraying pheromones everywhere I put the book down, walked outside, and began to re-evaluate the decisions I had made in my life that led me to this point.

Later, you find that the scarab-headed Khepri woman (Khepri is their race's name) eats colored berries and poops them out with which she builds psychedelically colored sculptures.

Cactus people have muscles and breasts. Yeah.

I'm just presenting 3 of the creatures I thought were rather... silly, from Perdido Street Station. There's more novels set in the same setting (Bas-Lag) by the author (China Mieville).

I will be blunt with you. They are rather silly, and after I realized I just read 2 pages of a grown man with the equivalent of a Ph. D in metaphysics having head-sex with what is basically a tan woman who's neck cuts off and has a giant scarab beetle that communicates via spraying pheromones everywhere I put the book down, walked outside, and began to re-evaluate the decisions I had made in my life that led me to this point.

Later, you find that the scarab-headed Khepri woman (Khepri is their race's name) eats colored berries and poops them out with which she builds psychedelically colored sculptures.

Cactus people have muscles and breasts. Yeah.

Where did you find this and why have I never heard of it before?! Heaven help us all, because quality control has clearly failed us.

Check out Perdido Street Station, or Iron Council, or The Scar by China Mieville.

Strangely, his book The City and The City is very nicely done low-sci-fi mystery and has some really neat parallels to reality and the fictional setting (which is implanted into our real world).

Then, apparently, he decided to make giant worms that have humanoid torsos similar to centaurs and soldiers who pilot flying jelly fish.

Personally I expect Obsidian not to turn dwarves into a comic relief race.

TES Adventures: Redguard was a nice game, I've still got the big box version.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

Which means that the -10 intelligence thing on Oblivion was not intentional or a jab at black people saying "lol ur stupid but strong" Bethesda isn't a perfect company, and I criticize them a lot, but they're not racist.

But I do wanna see variations of humans, many many human ethnic backgrounds. "Sub-races" I think is a bit too..strong a word for a human.

Edited by NKKKK

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Not a lot, I think

Jorune, Empire of the Petal Throne, Amber: Diceless Roleplaying, (largely human) Pendragon, (largely human) Chivalry and Sorcery, Bushido, Seventh Sea, etc.

Edited by septembervirgin

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

Which means that the -10 intelligence thing on Oblivion was not intentional or a jab at black people saying "lol ur stupid but strong" Bethesda isn't a perfect company, and I criticize them a lot, but they're not racist.

But I do wanna see variations of humans, many many human ethnic backgrounds. "Sub-races" I think is a bit too..strong a word for a human.

Yeah, I think they could easily replace that with nationality or ethnicity for Humans.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

I would love to see a race of constructs. Given this is a world where souls are being explored, I think it would be very interesting to have clockwork like constructions that served as the bodies of souls. That would be a "race" I would love to create and see in the game. It would be especially cool if they could integrate many magic items directly into the construction materials of their bodies.