Do you want your main character to start with some unique powers or not?

Do you want your main character to start with some unique power or not?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Unique power or not?

• Yes, but only if it benefits my combat ability.
    • Yes, but only if it serves the main storyline.
    • No, but I'm glad to earn special titles or abilities by finishing quests later in the game
    • No,thanks. I just want to be an ordinary adventurer.

The devs say our character can be of any origins in PE, however, since in the start of the game we witness some very unusual events, plus with the special soul system, maybe we can assume that these events lead to some changes in our soul and thus make us gain unique powers.

I think there are both sides of having a great power when gaming. On the one hand, it will definitely add some mysterious verve to the game. The nameless one of PS:T is, of course, a very sucessful example of this.

On the other hand, if it is not designed properly, it can make the game less interesting. I lke the idea of the spirit hunger of MotB, but I don't like the idea of 'if I don't do it, I'm gonna die'.

And of course without special abilities the game can be equally fun. Look at the older scrolls, the IWD series, the DAO, so what's your opinion on this topic?

On the other hand, if it is not designed properly, it can make the game less interesting. I lke the idea of the spirit hunger of MotB, but I don't like the idea of 'if I don't do it, I'm gonna die'.

That whole system was silly, because if you were playing a class that didn't need to rest much (like, say, a monk), you NEVER even got REMOTELY close to running the timer out.

I don't really have a preference as long as it's well-implemented either way.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

This could be interesting; not ability like something you use to attack people, but something that makes you a "Watcher" and adds an extra level to the game-- like a Third Sight that lets you see magical energies/ghosts\spirits\whathaveyou.

It could be cool if, because souls are so important, it was something to do with them. Maybe you can use souls of the fallen to make yourself more powerful (would add a dark flavor to "leveling up") or enchant items, but that doesn't seem to go with the tone of the teaser quotes from the count down.

I'm sure the devs can come up with lots of cool ways to make the Watcher a unique and memorable cRPG character no matter what though: that's why we're all here and so many of us are raining money on them, isn't it? Faith. Anywho, I'm honestly going to have to brainstorm before iCan think of anything really cool.

Maybe interesting if certain other rival characters have it too though, whatever it is?

• Like 1

CORSAIR, n. A politician of the seas. ~The Devil's Dictionary

The soul-centric nature of the game almost begs to have some tie-ins to past lives. Acquiring some of the benefits and penalties of those past existences could be a nice element; almost comparable to the Baldur's Gate experience. Shrug. Otherwise I just prefer earning character rewards the old fashioned way. Adding extra bennies without a tie-in to the story just feels a crutch.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I really don't care that much. I am sick of that kind of thing though, along with being 'the Chosen One'.

I just want to roleplay an ordinary character caught up in an interesting storyline, and then make them unique through my choices / actions.

Start with? No.

But I'd be fine if you gained some special ability (or abilities) if it relates to the story path you choose. As noted by others, the whole aspect of the souls in the game I think lends itself well to uncovering some abilities that the character may not have access to at the start of the game. Although I have to agree I don't want them to relate to some kind of 'chosen one' aspect. I'd rather see it as something that occurs to some people in the game world due to different circumstances. Something that's not really common, but not unheard of either.

I voted no. I don't need special abilities right at the start (especially considering what we know about the game, if your character is just an ordinary person who witnessed an extraordinary event). I played my first Skyrim character like that--she was just an average mage who just wanted to help people--then the Dark Brotherhood happened, then Molag Bal, and then some Forsworn killed her horse, so she snapped and killed them all.

I'm assuming characters will have special racial traits and gain new abilities as time goes on, but I don't need them RIGHT THIS INSTANT!

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770

Sadly, the poll questions were poorly phrased. The OP is hardly alone in this.

I like powaz, and unique ones are good, but they should be modest and all NPCs should have them too (BG1 & 2 is littered with small rules infringements that make the NPCs more interesting).

So a unique powa that is part of the character generation process: a quirk or trait. That would be great.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

The game should give bonuses for completing quests or, like in the Game of Thrones rpg (very underrated game!), minor bonuses to how we handle quests and dialogues with NPCs. In that game, handling quests in certain ways through dialogue leads to minor bonuses that help characterization (talking bravely leads to a bravery bonus, for example).

Practical example: during an interrogation, if we disappoint the executioner he could spike our eye with a burning ember so the game should grant a malus to, say, perception! That could be avoided through dialogue, of course! On the contrary, if we manage to resist without giving him the informations he wanted, the game should grant a bravery bonus.

Edited by max8472

"I feel stronger"

Of course, I'd love to have something that would make my character unique. Perhaps something class related, since I don't think you should receive the same power no matter how you choose to create your PC.

Regarding the poll - it should have a simple "Yes" answer :p I don't want my abilities to be only either combat or story related.

No. Not ever, ever.

I'm sick and tired of being "special". I'm sick and tired of ego storking.

And to all of you who voted yes - I hate you.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Sure, why not make the main character to be able to

- fly

- have super strength

- super handsome

- irresistible to the other sex

Those are qualities that we all want, but are too afraid to admit to have. Lets drop pretenses now and succumb to what our egos really want!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Never start a poll before, and maybe I should make it simpler next time.

Sadly, the poll questions were poorly phrased. The OP is hardly alone in this.

Sorry for the poor phrase since English is not my main language. ;(

No problem. The options seemed loaded to me.

sonsofgygax.JPG

- fly

- have super strength

- super handsome

Those are qualities that we all want, but are too afraid to admit to have. Lets drop pretenses now and succumb to what our egos really want!

As I am already able to do all of these things in real life, I'll settle for the innate ability to cast magic missile twice a day instead.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm sick and tired of being "special". I'm sick and tired of ego storking.

Well being special doesn't have to imply ego stroking. MotB is example of this. You're special from the start and essentially you're ****ed :p

Red Mage of the Obsidian Order

www.cherrytreestudio.eu

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

Red Mage, Episode 835: Refining Moment

- fly

- have super strength

- super handsome

As I am already able to do all of these things in real life, I'll settle for the innate ability to cast magic missile twice a day instead.

Hahaha

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Though I don't much care for the trope of being the Chosen One, I would like the main character to develop some unique/special abilities over the course of the story, so I don't just feel like Generic Hero Guy #24601.

`This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!` - God Emperor of Didcot by Toby Frost.

I don't mind at all. I love having minor unique snowflake stuff; after all, companions often have it, so why not I?

I don't like the companions having it, either.

Everyone should follow the same rules. The PC. The companions. The enemies. The peasants. Everyone.

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

I don't know about unique. Ring of save game, epic cartography (I don't have to draw my own maps on scratch paper), the "can perform normal activities like jumping up and down or over a small ditch without rolling a damn skill check you anally retentive DM!" feat. Stuff like that.

A "past-life" choice in character creation conferring some sort of bonus (or penalty,) might be interesting, especially with minor/chargen story hooks not of the "you are the chosen one! only you can save the kingdom with your chosen one powers!" variety. It might also be interesting if you could choose some such "past life" and deliberately act in opposition to it, like a former barbarian choosing to become a priest, pursuing a life of discipline in the face of his or her own (apparent) violent nature. Hell, they could have been a priest before being a barbarian. Chose barbarian last time just for kicks.

Edited by AGX-17