[merged] Do you think the Kickstarter could have been better

150 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the PT Kickstarter could have been better?

• No. It was perfect.
    • A little. Some minor apsects could have been Improved.
    • Yes a lot more could have been done, to sell the kickstarter.
    • Undecided.

G4B5m.png

Interesting, both DFA and WL2 had a spike in backers around day 16-19. This happened when WL2 announced their Obsidian parthership and DFA announced new goodies. I wonder if PE will manage to get a mid-spike like that too.

There's apparently going to be some announcement/update when PE hits 50k pledges so might be something what will get surges like that.

Do they need to do more to target the European audience?

I don't know what are you implying by that since we Europeans seem to be already a majority on this forum: Poll: Where is everyone from

I believe it was a joke about about this thread:

http://forums.obsidi...asian-interest/

OK. Forget what I said then. Didn't notice that thread before.:D

Edited by Haerski

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

There was a certain degree of ambiguity to be sure, but I don't know if that is a bad thing. While we are backing the project, we are not "investors" in the traditional sense. There is no profit sharing. We are stakeholders, not shareholders. Project Eternity still needs to market their product, and some of this comes from building hype through a slow release of information nuggets. This builds drama and excitement. Plus, if they rolled out everything they had in mind, some who might have otherwise been interested in backing the project might be turned off by a minor detail or two. Leaving the possibilities up to the collective imaginations of a ravenous fan base is more lucrative early on. Obsidian knows what they are doing here.

Edited by Sarevok

"The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny, chaos will be sown by their passage," so sayeth the wise Alaundo.

768543sarevokred1.jpg

Leaving the possibilities up to the collective imaginations of a ravenous fan base is more lucrative early on. Obsidian knows what they are doing here.

I don't think that really has anything to do with the KS. Obsidian wanted to make an isometric rpg in the same vein as the Infinity games, they needed the money, they went with kickstarter, they got the money.

I don't think they really need to provide Stretch goals that blow peoples minds, they are not like Indie developers who have no history of quality games and need to wow you into giving them money. They know what they want to do and what they need to do it. I think people looking for stretch goals similar to other games on KS are taking things down the wrong track. We don't need J.E. offering up weekends at his house on Maui or whatever as a stretch goal, the fact they have the pledges, the experience and quality to actually make the game should be enough.

The KS was a huge success for what Obsidian wanted to do, going overboard for the sake of being like every other KS is just a waste. The money is meant to go into creating content or adding features, more money doesn't necessarily translate to a better game or even a more profitable game.

The way some people are going on it seems more important to them that the KS is a success rather than that the game is actually going to be made. I'd be quite happy for them to stop providing stretch goals past what they currently have and just providing more info into the KS until it ends. Any more pledges that come in can go into increasing the quality of what they have already promised rather than adding yet another thing to the game, more VO maybe, music, certain artists etc. They don't need to provide a stretch goal to do all of that.

I don't think that really has anything to do with the KS. Obsidian wanted to make an isometric rpg in the same vein as the Infinity games, they needed the money, they went with kickstarter, they got the money.

I don't think they really need to provide Stretch goals that blow peoples minds, they are not like Indie developers who have no history of quality games and need to wow you into giving them money. They know what they want to do and what they need to do it. I think people looking for stretch goals similar to other games on KS are taking things down the wrong track. We don't need J.E. offering up weekends at his house on Maui or whatever as a stretch goal, the fact they have the pledges, the experience and quality to actually make the game should be enough.

Speak for yourself, if I get a timeshare in Maui I'll easily give $15 more.

a example of a sucessful KS campaign http://www.kickstart...n-of-gaming-min

An example of another successful KS game campaign - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter

Wait, that one was poorly managed at the start, and barely crossed it's goal-line. Plus is was only raising enough money to start the project and they were then going to find traditional backing.

But, well, they raised their goal. So, yeah, successful.

This next campaign isn't over yet, but even if they lose nearly half their pledges between now and then (I don't think anything like that has happened on KS) it will be successful - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity. Successful because, yes, they've out-raised their goal and only needed to make their goal.

Why is this thread still going?

• Like 1

Leaving the possibilities up to the collective imaginations of a ravenous fan base is more lucrative early on. Obsidian knows what they are doing here.

The KS was a huge success for what Obsidian wanted to do, going overboard for the sake of being like every other KS is just a waste. The money is meant to go into creating content or adding features, more money doesn't necessarily translate to a better game or even a more profitable game.

The way some people are going on it seems more important to them that the KS is a success rather than that the game is actually going to be made. I'd be quite happy for them to stop providing stretch goals past what they currently have and just providing more info into the KS until it ends. Any more pledges that come in can go into increasing the quality of what they have already promised rather than adding yet another thing to the game, more VO maybe, music, certain artists etc. They don't need to provide a stretch goal to do all of that.

I'm not really sure why you quoted me here. I am agreeing with you. I wasn't even talking about stretch goals, in fact.

I do not think they needed to "blow people away." That is why I said I think it was smart for them to leave some unknown in their game. They could have rolled out every detail, but then some might be turned off by minor nuances. Better to throw out the goal of the project and leave it at that.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your argument here.

"The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny, chaos will be sown by their passage," so sayeth the wise Alaundo.

768543sarevokred1.jpg

Anything could be more successful. We could sit here all day and nitpick, but that's all it would be is nitpicking. They have more funds than they dreamed of, we have a game in the works we've been waiting for for years, and extra goals were added to accomodate the flood of support. Sounds like a win for everyone. I'm not going to nitpick.

It would be nice if they over take Double Fine Adventure. Rightfully they should, the team behind Project Eternity have made many better games, and are continuing to do so, of course Adventure fans have been starved of good games, where as at least RPG fans have had Fallout: NV, DA: Origins, and The Witcher. Also it says something about the crowd funding development and "Kickstarter fatigue", it says "nope, this ain't going away any time soon".

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

They can do more though. Some exciting updates will help promote interest, like a batch of concept art, etc. Stuff that will end up on gaming news sites like Gameinformer, Eurogamer, VG247, etc. as news stories and really grab peoples' attention. The video updates they've been doing are great, but they seem to be aimed at people who are already aware of / following / backing PE.

Yeah, basically I agree with this. Coverage is everything.

My only complaint is that they don't have their paypal account set up. I've already pledged, so it's not a big problem for me, but I know a few people on the net who would donate if paypal was an option. (I'm assuming paypal is still not an option at this moment.)

Hmmm, so Wastleand 2 got a spike when they announced a Chris Avellone stretch-goal, And Nuka Break got a spike when they announced Chris Avellone stretch-goal...

So by that logic Obsidian Entertainment needs to fire Chris Avellone and then put up a 3M stretch-goal to rehire him! :wowey:

• Like 1
ObsidianOrder_Viking_125px.png