[merged] Do you think the Kickstarter could have been better

150 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the PT Kickstarter could have been better?

• No. It was perfect.
    • A little. Some minor apsects could have been Improved.
    • Yes a lot more could have been done, to sell the kickstarter.
    • Undecided.

Project Eternity is well on it's way to be the most successful Kickstarted game to date, so don't worry.

Anyway, we are directly in the middle of the campaign, where Kickstarters are always very slow. It will pick up speed towards the end... The last few days alone could bring in $1 million or even more.

Edited by dlux

:closed:

It's definitely slowed down a lot more compared to other projects. Still probably going to be the most funded software project on Kickstarter. I blame the reward tiers. Should have went with $15 and $30 reward tiers like Double Fine and Wasteland 2.

Double Fine Adventure had about the same amount of pledges ($2,1+ million) at this point and Wasteland was somewhere around $1,6 million.

Everything is fine, don't worry.

Edited by dlux

:closed:

It's definitely slowed down a lot more compared to other projects. Still probably going to be the most funded software project on Kickstarter. I blame the reward tiers. Should have went with $15 and $30 reward tiers like Double Fine and Wasteland 2.

The average pledge per backer on Wasteland is actually $4 higher than Project Eternity so far though, and Wasteland 2 ended up with only about 10k more pledgers than what Project Eternity has atm.

I think the difference is in the boxed copies. Wasteland offered it for $50 not including shipping, while Project Eternity offered one at $65.

This project should be doing better than Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2, so they really shouldn't be benchmarks.

The average pledge per backer on Wasteland is actually $4 higher than Project Eternity so far though, and Wasteland 2 ended up with only about 10k more pledgers than what Project Eternity has atm.

I think the difference is in the boxed copies. Wasteland offered it for $50 not including shipping, while Project Eternity offered one at $65.

You'd expect Obsidian to get more backers than inXile though, even with people like Stackpole on board, and Obsidian helping out.

You're right the boxed version is also a problem, but I think that only masks the bigger problem with the lower tiers because people are on them that wouldn't be if the pledge amounts were different. Also the boxed editions cost Obsidian, so the actual net money funded isn't quite as much as the difference between pledge amounts.

PE is def on its way, but everything is relative. and compared to the pace that they were at consistently it has greatly decreased. I agree that the end of the kickstarter will def pick up more donations but how do you suppose projects, in general i guess, can get out of the middle slump the seems to plague most kickstarters

As others have said, the kickstarter has already been a huge success even though it's slowed down now... and will likely pick up a bit towards the end.

They can do more though. Some exciting updates will help promote interest, like a batch of concept art, etc. Stuff that will end up on gaming news sites like Gameinformer, Eurogamer, VG247, etc. as news stories and really grab peoples' attention. The video updates they've been doing are great, but they seem to be aimed at people who are already aware of / following / backing PE.

you simply can't compare the average pledge per backer from a finished project with one right in its middle. there's a very high chance that towards the end the majority of backers will rise their donations to reach a stretch goal. what eternity is lacking right now are goals around the 2.6 - 3mio marks, further exciting updates and perhaps even the first screens will be published, don't worry. the project is doing fine ;)

you simply can't compare the average pledge per backer from a finished project with one right in its middle. there's a very high chance that towards the end the majority of backers will rise their donations to reach a stretch goal. what eternity is lacking right now are goals around the 2.6 - 3mio marks, further exciting updates and perhaps even the first screens will be published, don't worry. the project is doing fine ;)

Of course. I wasn't worrying, I was just pointing out that the minimum price to 'pre-order' the game wasn't really an issue.

I don't think Wasteland 2 had any better stretch goals, I think it had better reward tiers from the start, also the improved digital reward tiers (which PE already has) and the Obsidian collaboration announcement made the difference in the second half.

If you guys could invite Leonard Boyarsky or some big guys from BIOWARE to join the project, I will glad to pay another 1000 dollar.

Boyarsky would be great, but who wants anyone from Bioware?

At last they create BG series. Also the artist work in Dargon age was great!

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

I am hugely excited for Project: Eternity. And i am a huge fan of Obsidian and this is not a knock at Obsidian and I am in no way saying the kickstarter is a failure. I just think they could have done more to build the excitement on their kickstarter.

I feel the stretch goals were vague afterthoughts and feel if they had put the same level of thought and detail of the 2.3 stretch goal into the earlier stretch-goals they might be further along in their crowd-sourcing. I also think it would have been a bit better to time the ending of the kickstarter for later in the week, (rather than a Tuesday), so they could build a bit more excitement for the end.(After all more funds means more can be added to the game.)

What improvements (if any) do others think might help the kickstarter project attract more backers?

Kickstarter is only little over halfway through. They surely have still more updates and and big announcements coming, which can speed up fundraising. Basically every big KS project seems to stagnate in the middle and speed up towards the end, because it would be impossible to keep massive hype going on during whole month with kickass announcements coming every day. It might even be planned tactic to time the final crunch when maximum amount of interested people have heard about the game and are following it actively.

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

Consider right now the highest stretch goal is 2.3 mil and we're almost to 2.2 mil, people really have no reason to actually pledge a lot. My guess is they're debating back and forth what the high tier stretch goals should be right now, and probably have been for the last week or possibly even since they hit their funding within about a day of launch. I'm not even planning on upping my pledge as I'm poor, but I'm checking the kickstarter multiple times a day to see if they've added stretch goals yet because I'm extremely curious as to what they're gonna do.

Anyways, the latest we'll see the new stretches is I believe the 3rd when paypal goes up, but I'm hoping they come out today (Monday) to give people time to see them and think about pledge raising.

I wonder if they'll add in paypal donations to the total from kickstarter to determine pledge goals. And if so, if there's a cutoff date to hit that.

I must say, I'm quite surprised about all these threads about better stretch goals and better KS strategies.

PE Kickstarter is far from over and, in my opinion, it's doing really great. We have 2 more weeks to go and it's almost at 200% already. If it's not a success then what is. :)

• Like 2
obsidian-shield.jpg

This is my first experience of Kickstarter. It must be quite tough for Obsidian to keep up interest *and* develop a game in tandem, as if development is being driven by the 'shiny baubles' dynamic of stretch goals. Plus, we are all expecting something awesome for the end of the project to bump up last minute pledges.

I'm one of those people who has pledged $100+ and would potentially pledge a little more (although the next tier, for me, isn't different enough for me to pledge right now, it would be prompted by a stretch goal). Plus there must be lots of people waiting to pledge.

Personally, I'm just happy that this game is being made at all. I will support the game by buying any more content released for it and spreading the word online... and yes giving more money as and when I get the right trigger from Obz.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Consider right now the highest stretch goal is 2.3 mil and we're almost to 2.2 mil, people really have no reason to actually pledge a lot. My guess is they're debating back and forth what the high tier stretch goals should be right now, and probably have been for the last week or possibly even since they hit their funding within about a day of launch. I'm not even planning on upping my pledge as I'm poor, but I'm checking the kickstarter multiple times a day to see if they've added stretch goals yet because I'm extremely curious as to what they're gonna do.

Anyways, the latest we'll see the new stretches is I believe the 3rd when paypal goes up, but I'm hoping they come out today (Monday) to give people time to see them and think about pledge raising.

I wonder if they'll add in paypal donations to the total from kickstarter to determine pledge goals. And if so, if there's a cutoff date to hit that.

The funny thing is they can't be adding more content infinitely because there is a set release date and you can't make a game of a certain size within a certain time-frame no matter how much money you have.