Drows in this game ?

I'd rather have something original instead of goth elves.

I can't begin to describe how badly Dungeons and Dragons Online is INFESTED with Drizz't wannabes. Fortunately they tend to be pretty thin on the ground in late-game combat because that build is pretty lousy.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

I think Dark Elves should be in the game, but not as an evil cave dwelling race that we're acustomed. What if they're just a group of Elves that like to dance a lot, or hold massive festivals on their cities. Anything to break the cliche.

In that vain I don't want the light elves to be "enlightened" and good.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Oh my, how backwards. The ones underground are dark and the surfacers are light.

This reminds me of a weird explanation of why Drow are coal-black when clearly they shouldn't paler than their surface-dwelling cousins -- it was supposed to be a curse from their Elven god but that's just so heavily steeped in awkward racism that it makes people uncomfortable to deal with.

Oh my, how backwards. The ones underground are dark and the surfacers are light.

This reminds me of a weird explanation of why Drow are coal-black when clearly they shouldn't paler than their surface-dwelling cousins -- it was supposed to be a curse from their Elven god but that's just so heavily steeped in awkward racism that it makes people uncomfortable to deal with.

Hot temperature dwelling people with the effects of Melanin on their skin is more plausible and realistic.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

...drow be overdone...in fact, all tree-huggin' puswas be overdone...create some new races... :yes:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Really hoping subraces are not divided from one another based upon being 'good' or 'evil.'

They will not be.

Dark elves are an old concept, but the dark-skinned "drow" are a Gygax invention. We have a few elven subraces, some of which will seem more familiar than others. In addition to the subraces, there is significant cultural division between separate groups even within one subrace. The elves that came across the sea with their human allies to settle in the Dyrwood encountered Glanfathan elves that looked almost identical to them, physically, but spoke a completely dissimilar language, dressed differently, had different values and customs, and lived virtually at a Stone Age level of technology -- all this despite abundant evidence that an ancient empire once stood around them. As a result, the elves who settled in the Dyrwood tend to feel much more kinship toward human neighbors, with whom they share a language and hundreds of years of coexistence, than the Glanfathans.

• Like 15

I haven't read much DragonLance (and not played the RPG version) but I do remember "Drow/Dark Elf" reference in the first trilogy when refering to some kind of elf undead (purple skin), I think. In another trilogy, one of the black tunic mages was labeled as Dark Elf as some kind of description (alliegance to dark powers?) because physically he was as typical elf as any other.

...an' the elf he be referrin' to Be Dalamar the Dark, Raistlin's apprentice, if'n I remembers correctly...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Really hoping subraces are not divided from one another based upon being 'good' or 'evil.'

They will not be.

Dark elves are an old concept, but the dark-skinned "drow" are a Gygax invention. We have a few elven subraces, some of which will seem more familiar than others. In addition to the subraces, there is significant cultural division between separate groups even within one subrace. The elves that came across the sea with their human allies to settle in the Dyrwood encountered Glanfathan elves that looked almost identical to them, physically, but spoke a completely dissimilar language, dressed differently, had different values and customs, and lived virtually at a Stone Age level of technology -- all this despite abundant evidence that an ancient empire once stood around them. As a result, the elves who settled in the Dyrwood tend to feel much more kinship toward human neighbors, with whom they share a language and hundreds of years of coexistence, than the Glanfathans.

Thanks for the info.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

I'd rather see an elven race akin to the Kagonesti from DragonLance setting.

I'm quite bored by elves always being high and noble and advanced. A more tribal race of elves would be awesome.

Exactly, he just said that there are stone-age elves, although they might not be like that by the game's start.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

They will not be.

I'm a fan of nurture over nature so this sounds fantastic to me. :)

Also, yay no "Drow." Ugh. I wasn't actually worried that Obsidian would go that overdone and caricatured route, but it's nice to know anyway. Thanks for the info.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I'd rather see an elven race akin to the Kagonesti from DragonLance setting.

I'm quite bored by elves always being high and noble and advanced. A more tribal race of elves would be awesome.

Exactly, he just said that there are stone-age elves, although they might not be like that by the game's start.

Yes, I noticed only after I posted :facepalm:

Sounds very interesting!

They will not be.

i like how every single post mr. sawyer makes on this forum has this very special aura of assurance

you know this "we have thougt of it a lot and intend to do it right" feeling :)

btw, can't help it, this post screams Dragon Age into my face :D

Edited by lolaldanee

They will not be.

It's great to hear about the different races and cultures having well- thought out backgrounds. This is what truly adds depth to a game setting.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

In my opinion, the only good elf is a dead one. :devil:

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

How about we call them Night Elves instead? Totally original.

I've got it! Dusk Elves! They will be the mortal enemy of the Afternoon Elves.

No, No, No. Dusk Elves are the mortal enemies of the Dawn Elves. Afternoon Elves despise Morning Elves, Noon Elves, Midnight, Etc. Why must I go through this every signal time this discussion pops up?! Gosh! :p

The Obsidian Orders Royal Pain

"Ouch"

How about we call them Night Elves instead? Totally original.

I've got it! Dusk Elves! They will be the mortal enemy of the Afternoon Elves.

No, No, No. Dusk Elves are the mortal enemies of the Dawn Elves. Afternoon Elves despise Morning Elves, Noon Elves, Midnight, Etc. Why must I go through this every signal time this discussion pops up?! Gosh! :p

And let's not even mention Twilight Elves.

Oh ****, I just did, didn't I?