How about postponing the releasedate to december 2014

More game content vs release date  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Is postponing the releasedate a good idea to allow Obsidan to include more game content

• Yes! I wan't more content and could wait for it
    • No.
    • No opinion

As discussed in other threads Obsidan might be stressed by the fact that they plan a spring 2014 release. That's a very short development time. And that might hinder them to add bigger stretch goals with more content. So I was wondering how people would feel about waiting a bit longer for the game but in return get more content. I for one woul gladly wait until december 2014 or something to get more content.

This is a good post on the topic:

I think the main problem is that Obsidian has a very good idea of the size and scope of the game given the estimated date of release they have planned from the start.

In order to substantially increase the stretch goals to USD3-4million, they need to revise this initial assumption, which I think they're hesitant to do. Still, I think the OP is right, they need some visionary and cool goals if they want to hit a larger amount of funding. But to do that, they might need to revise their estimated date of release.

Edited by Potemkin

I would prefer if they release the game in spring 2014. If they aren't able to spend all their resources by then, they could release extra content or extra features in the form of expansions or patches that would be free for anyone who helped kickstart the game. I don't really care if multiplayer or mod support is there at release. It would be nice to have it in the game at some point but I don't want it to delay the release.

• Like 1

Come visit the Project Eternity subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity

Obsidian's problem with dev time has never really been the fact that dev time wasn't long enough, with the exception of New Vegas since 11-12 months REALLY is a short dev time, it's been they've expected generally x dev time and then suddenly the publisher comes back 8 months till projected release and says they want to release it in 2 months.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

I think they've only given the release date because Kickstarter forced them to do it, otherwise they'd probably be a lot more vague about it.

And honestly, a spring 2014 release is only a projection, I'd wager they really don't know how long it could take them.

In any case, I'm glad that they can finally take their time, with no publisher breathing down their neck.

If the release date gets delayed, the costs will also rise, and considering how the game is funded, that might be a problem. The best option, in my opinion, is to make sure the game is robust and bug-free and all the essential content is in when the release date comes. After release it's DLC time.

Their constraint is money, not time. There are far more people at Obsidian than there will working on Project Eternity. Obsidian has already said that the final size of the development team will be determined after the Kickstarter is over. Thus, there is no real reason to delay the game.

All of that said, I would estimate the odds that the game will come out more than a month after April 2014 to be greater than 75% -- simply because I've never seen a game of this kind properly completed at the originally estimated time.

It's really up to them to decide. But I certainly don't mind waiting.

After release it's DLC time.

Honestly, I'd rather wait a year longer than deal with DLC stuff.

It'd be great if they could make the game perfect on release. But it's not going to happen. At some point they will have to release the game or they'll run out of funds. Release will bring in more funds. What's wrong with using those funds to create more content?

Why is everybody so worried of release date when production has not even fully started yet? It seems this same thing comes up eventually in every thread. I have no opinion on this. It's planned release date, which every game has from the start and in 99% of projects it will be pushed further at some point or another and they won't ask your permission. If you can't live with that you can already cancel your pledge.

They are hardened professionals and they know better than any of us how long this kind of game takes to develop and I'm sure they have no problem postponing release if they need more time. Just relax and wait for it.:D

Edited by Haerski
  • Like 3

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

It is up to Obsidian to decide how much time they need but I am certainly willing to wait longer in order to get a good game. A well tested game with few bugs. One patch is fine, two I can live with but a game that has to be patched and patched is not what I want.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I assume that they are 'planning' for that Spring 2014 release. That will undoubtedly slip. If they 'planned' for a December 2014 release then that would also slip.

That's not even an Obsidian thing, it's a software development thing.

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

It'd be great if they could make the game perfect on release. But it's not going to happen. At some point they will have to release the game or they'll run out of funds. Release will bring in more funds. What's wrong with using those funds to create more content?

I prefer to have faith in them. I'm sure they are capable of delivering an excellent game within reasonable time.

And I dislike the very notion of DLC because it always has that feel of a) rushed release (exactly what we want to avoid); b) withheld content; c) desire to rip off players.

• Like 1
obsidian-shield.jpg

BG2 was basically completed in a year. They've already started the work, they don't have to submit milestones to publishers or have to work on an E3 playable demo that halts production.

I doubt they'll need to postpone the release, but I don't care if they do.

I prefer to have faith in them. I'm sure they are capable of delivering an excellent game within reasonable time.

And I dislike the very notion of DLC because it always has that feel of a) rushed release (exactly what we want to avoid); b) withheld content; c) desire to rip off players.

Just to be clear: I'm not worried at all and I do have faith in Obsidian. However, the nature of the project may not allow huge delays, and it's precisely because of my faith and trust in the dev team that I have no irrational fear of DLC. DLC is not inherently evil, it's the companies that abuse the system.

As long as we don't get a DLC the first week of release that we have to pay for :p. I'm really tired of companies producing dlc's a long with the game itself. Heck some games nowadays launch with 2-3 dlc's. You think to yourself 'Didn't I just pay 50 dollars for the whole game?', guess not, fork over another 30. What happened to good old fashioned expansions? Even Baldur's Gate 2 had an expansion, and both Neverwinter Nights did as well. There was no B.S dlc's. So if anything, I'd prefer expansions over dlc's.

• Like 1

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Instead of working on extra content, if they need extra time I'd rather it be spent on testing. Due to the nature of the worlds they create Obsidian games have a reputation for being a bit buggy. I have no problem at all with them delaying the release as long as necessary to put out a game (relatively) bug free.

• Like 3

Does this unit have a soul?

As long as we don't get a DLC the first week of release that we have to pay for :p. I'm really tired of companies producing dlc's a long with the game itself. Heck some games nowadays launch with 2-3 dlc's. You think to yourself 'Didn't I just pay 50 dollars for the whole game?', guess not, fork over another 30. What happened to good old fashioned expansions? Even Baldur's Gate 2 had an expansion, and both Neverwinter Nights did as well. There was no B.S dlc's. So if anything, I'd prefer expansions over dlc's.

Downloadable expansion is DLC.

There's a difference, there really is.

A DLC is a typically small change to a game whether it be; map packs, cosmetics, a new character, a new quest line, etc etc. They usually add anywhere between 0-5 hours of game play and typically cost around 10 dollars.

An expansion is what they use to do in the good old days of rpgs. It's something that changes the game drastically adding in several things at once. All new characters, levels, quests, items, areas, all of it in one big boxed up game. It cost around 20-40 dollars and consists of 10-20 hours of gameplay typically. Depending on the game of course. Point being an expansion is equal to about 20 separate DLC's, but you get more bang for your buck. You're not individually buying bits and pieces of a game. Not to mention DLC's are typically downloadable only, an expansion has a box. I like boxes.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Why is everybody so worried of release date when production has not even fully started yet? It seems this same thing comes up eventually in every thread. I have no opinion on this. It's planned release date, which every game has from the start and in 99% of projects it will be pushed further at some point or another and they won't ask your permission. If you can't live with that you can already cancel your pledge.

They are hardened professionals and they know better than any of us how long this kind of game takes to develop and I'm sure they have no problem postponing release if they need more time. Just relax and wait for it.:D

You have to remember that this is a different sort of undertaking. Obsidian isn't answering to large investors or a publisher, they are answering directly to us, the fans and supporters. They would have to comfort investors if they pushed back release, perhaps they wouldn't ask permission but they would have to jump through hoops for them. Now we are all in that position of investor. I consider these threads, and their frequency, to be both a message to other funders and to Obsidian that we want the best game they can make in whatever timescale. Because we are the investors in this case, we do have to make sure Obsidian *knows* our collective will and what we will endure before our faith in the project is broken. I just hope they will be willing to hold another fundraiser if they do run out of money and that the community will endure it.

• Like 1