What to play in preparation for PE?

I have played a few games in the style/genre of what Project Eternity is going to be rooted in, but I admit I am not a seasoned veteran and haven't experienced too much in this style.

So my question is:

If you had to narrow it done to JUST 3 (because I am a college student and don't have all the time in the world, plus I want to play the back log of games I've been meaning to play), what 3 games should I play that would be a good intro/refresher into what the Project Eternity game will pretty much be like and would get me excited and ready to play this amazing game that's on the way!!

It doesn't necessarily all have to be games made by them (though if you think 3 of theirs are the best examples then go ahead!)

I hope I'm not alone on this and some other people were wondering the same thing, so you could possibly help them too.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by J-Martz

I'd say play one of the Baldur's Gate games (BG2 is recommended to those who aren't familiar with IE games), Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

You can get them (+ sequels and Temple of Elemental Evil) in this collection for a good price: http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Classic-Anthology-Pc/dp/B005JQ064A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348953089&sr=8-1&keywords=dungeons+and+dragons+anthology

I think they're also available on GOG individually.

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770

For me, once I'm through with my current slew of games, I'm going to replay BG and PS:T in preparation for PE. More than likely those two games (some combination of them) will be what PE ends up being similar to.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition (due November 2012) for the general feel of things.

So you would say Baldur's Gate Enhanced instead of BG2? Because isn't the sequel the one reveres as the better one?

I have played BG2 but never the first one, so it might be cool to experience BG:E

I'll be replaying BG(EE) and PS:T myself. And trying out ToEE for the graphics since we know the rendering is using the same technique. Repurchased PS:T and got ToEE from GOG for easy access.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition (due November 2012) for the general feel of things.

So you would say Baldur's Gate Enhanced instead of BG2? Because isn't the sequel the one reveres as the better one?

I have played BG2 but never the first one, so it might be cool to experience BG:E

BG:EE is BG1 plus TotSC (which includes Durlag's Tower, my favorite dungeon :wub:). I agree with the others who've suggested it because the interface will be like BG2 with enhancements and fixes, especially if you haven't played BG1 yet.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Well, until just a few moments ago, I was under the impression that BG:EE was going to be be BG1+TotSC+BG2+ToB. But it seems its going to be just the first game + expansion. The Enhanced sequel will come later.

But I would the recommend BG2 more than BG1, but for those that have already played BG2, but not the prequel, then I would recommend BG:EE since it will be more polished.

ObsidianOrder_Viking_125px.png

The Enhanced Edition has a ton of new content and has been reengineered to work on more modern hardware. They're going to do BG2 also.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Projected release date for PE: April 2014. I think you will need a bit more than just 3 games...but:

Well that's the challenge I posed in the question: what 3 are the most defining to you. I don't want to play everything there is to play that will relate to PE, but I just want to experience some good examples. I don't think for any genre you must play every single great game in that genre in preparation/excitement for an upcoming one to have a good experience or appreciate it for what it is.

Dragon Age 2

Elder Scrolls Skyrim

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Old Republic

Also get hyped man! DA3 is coming!

(actually I think they might now screw up so much this time, maybe DA2 taught them something, I hope...)

While this might be a troll, this is also a good list of games to play if you wan't to be so miserable that when PE comes you will be pleasently rejuvenated be the whole experience.

Edit: These are not necessarily bad games, but most of them do suffer from being too "modern" and less bold and of course "consolified".

Edited by Knott
  • Like 1
ObsidianOrder_Viking_125px.png

While this might be a troll, this is also a good list of games to play if you wan't to be so miserable that when PE comes you will be pleasently rejuvenated be the whole experience.

Edit: These are not necessarily bad games, but most of them do suffer from being too "modern" and less bold and of course "consolified".

Yeeeeeh haha regardless of wether that was a troll or not, that list coooooompletely misses the point. But they are great games, I've played em all! (except TOR if he means the MMO version).

This is a contentious topic if people had to choose between which they prefer more. BG1 or BG2? Some prefer the first while others prefer the second. It may be a little disappointing going back to the first since you're played the second as the mystery and intrigue of who you are is gone. My preference is BG1 with its simplicity and feel D&D is at its best with low level 1-8 characters where you're dreaming about high level powers.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

Once I would've said for definite that BG2 was the better of the two, and if you are comparing the vanilla versions of the game I would say BG2 still, but with the BGtutu mod installed (runs BG1 in BG2 engine without combining the two like BGT mod does) along with other mods I actually found myself enjoying the first one more the last playthrough I made of them.

Wasn't the first time I had used the BGtutu mod but it was the first time I noticed how my feelings about the two had changed. Could have simply been that I have played BG2 too much, but I do think that the two have different focuses in gameplay and story that give them different strengths and weaknesses. BG1 has more freeform exploration, you are able to wander off and just look for things with some areas just being there for the sake of being there while BG2 has more indepth quests, and the two of them have a very different feel in the writing department too: neither one is better but there is a style difference there.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

This is a contentious topic if people had to choose between which they prefer more. BG1 or BG2? Some prefer the first while others prefer the second. It may be a little disappointing going back to the first since you're played the second as the mystery and intrigue of who you are is gone. My preference is BG1 with its simplicity and feel D&D is at its best with low level 1-8 characters where you're dreaming about high level powers.

The thing is, original BG1+TotSC suffered from some gameplay issues that were addressed in BG2's interface and mechanics. I didn't replay BG1 much for those reasons, despite that a BG2 engine port mod thing existed (such effort :p). But BG:EE not only will have BG2's engine but lots of fixes and a decent amount of new content.

The only downside to playing BG:EE before BG2-enhanced is released is that the new BG1 NPCs won't exist in BG2 if you import across the games for a complete experience.

BG1 does hold a special place in my heart despite its flaws, though. I actually think now it was hilarious that my PC had 6 hit points starting out of Candlekeep--the threat of death was very real and I feared to cross just the first map! The level cap was merely level 7 or something and the gear spread wasn't stupid. And I thought the storyline was good too, with enough complexity (ToB was the weakest link for me, but the closure is still nice).

I just started a new game of IWD tonight. It has been quite a while since I played it previously. The only mod I am using is widescreen. After that I plan to play through IWD2, BG 1&2 and maybe some ToEE or even Knights of the Chalice, though that is TB.

Isn't BGEE suppose to have new content? I think I'll just stick with the original.

Edited by Thulean