Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #12: Reddit Q&A with Tim Cain

project eternity reddit tim cain classes modding reactivity

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

vv221

vv221

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I love turn-based system in strategy games...

But I think in RPGs it's nothing more than an heritage from their P&P ancestors, and has no sense for a non-P&P-based game.
That's clearly not turn-based fights that make Fallout great, and Arcanum does not become dull when you turn its fights real-time !

Patuti

Patuti

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

In a skill-based game, it's harder to tell if a companion gives you the skills you are looking for, especially before you recruit them.

This looks like an advantage to me, not the opposite. Share the work of explaining about the role/skills of a companion to the narrative elements, a guy with a scarred face with a 2h battle axe can be as informative as a class "Berseker". And that could hide some not-so-obvious skills so we can have a bit of a surprise later, while with the class system we have direct access to all that information, not a lot of immersion here.

Auxilius

Auxilius

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I prefer classless systems because it gives a lot of freedom to the way I build up my PC, without going over thirty screens to check if multiclassing my druid with a rogue or a barbarian will be worth the loss of spells I'll go through. I've nothing against class systems but I found myself less interested and always go for a full-on unique class.
No, if classes permit to get unique answers and dialogues and build up quests, I'm all in. It would be fun to get roped in quests because the PC is a dreaded
engineer wandering on wood dwarf territory. Not the most imaginative example though.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5055 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I prefer classless systems because it gives a lot of freedom to the way I build up my PC, without going over thirty screens to check if multiclassing my druid with a rogue or a barbarian will be worth the loss of spells I'll go through. I've nothing against class systems but I found myself less interested and always go for a full-on unique class.
No, if classes permit to get unique answers and dialogues and build up quests, I'm all in. It would be fun to get roped in quests because the PC is a dreaded
engineer wandering on wood dwarf territory. Not the most imaginative example though.

Perhaps they should call them careers, rather than classes? Like they did in the old WFRP game. Multiclass characters would then be interdisciplinary careers. What would be a nice feature of multiclass characters is if they had some unique options available only to those with specific class combos. Like the prestige class paths, but less blatant. Might be more trouble than it's worth though.

Vampero

Vampero

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Steam:vampero13
  • PSN Portable ID:vamperoX13
  • Xbox Gamertag:vampero13
  • Kickstarter Backer
I liked the Q&A a lot !!! Keep them coming... :fdevil:

Edited by Vampero, 01 October 2012 - 10:53 AM.

ImRhoven

ImRhoven

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
Liked the Q&A, loved the answers!

As to the party members each having unique roles: Well, I hope there will be at least some overlap and enough different party members to provide you with a choice as to who you're taking with you for a certain role. Annoying when you're 'forced' into either taking along a party member you dislike, or gimping your party because you only take along those you like.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, reddit, tim cain, classes, modding, reactivity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users