Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #12: Reddit Q&A with Tim Cain

project eternity reddit tim cain classes modding reactivity

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

hideo kuze

hideo kuze

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
Damn it.

My questions didn't make it :(

Romiras

Romiras

Super Mutant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Err... Where is update 11???

Freddo

Freddo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Err... Where is update 11???

On the kickstarter website, it's a fairly minor one though.
  • Romiras likes this

tox1c5lug

tox1c5lug

Evil Banker of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There probably won't be quests that are just for one race, but one thing we are not going to do for certain is make race-restricted items. While many items have a cultural connection to some races, they will still be useable by members of other races. It might be unusual to see humans in elven chain, but they can wear it.

So does that mean no separate prologues for different races? :'(

Merin

Merin

Grey Storyteller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 619 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'll be the stick-in-the-mud who says, "Boo, multi-classing."

Also, not having stuff limited by race makes me a little sad. I like content locked out by choices the player makes, even in character creation.

Choosing to play the thief, for example, should stop you from doing the "uphold the law" quest, or being the dwarf should prevent you from picking up the "elves attacking the dwarves" quest. Simplistic, broad examples... but it's what I'd prefer.

That said, these aren't deal breakers for me at all.

Edited by Merin, 29 September 2012 - 10:16 AM.

• Romiras likes this

Andtalath

Andtalath

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Will there be exceptionally powerful enemies outside of heart of fury mode?

One of the things I really liked about Baldur's Gate was beating Drizzt, especially as early as possible.
In BG II, the hidden bosses and dragons where some of the finer points of the game, I remember trying to take out Firkraag for an hour and finally giving up.
Actually returning later in the game and beating him really gave you a sense of accomplishment.

I also really liked the telthor badger in Mask of the Betrayer, pretty much the only battle in the game which actually challenged you somewhat.

Will being evil be made an attractive choice?
I ask because in most of your games (barring PsT and MotB) being non-heroic has been kinda tacked-on.

Will there be clashes between characters?
For me, the actual conflicts arising between characters in BGII was what made them feel real.
For instance, Mazzy threatening (and attacking) Edwin if he damages her with AoE spells.

Will spells be diverse or specced?
I really liked having loads of different spells with many different functions.
Having Aoe cone, aoe burst and solo target as your three damage types (like in Dragon Age) is really boring and definitely rules out the whole "Cool new spell!" effect.

Will the game be made to be broken?
Meaning, will true power gaming be possible?
I love games where you struggle the first time but later on you can handle things which would seem impossible before.
For instance, I've soloed BGII tactics.

Loads of questions, I'm vageuly hopeful for answers ;)
  • Tauron and smithereen like this

Vampero

Vampero

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Steam:vampero13
  • PSN Portable ID:vamperoX13
  • Xbox Gamertag:vampero13
  • Kickstarter Backer
Great questions I need to think of a good one to ask !

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3196 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm ecstatic to hear that a there's a lot of reactivity based on character races and such. I can't wait to explore these options!

Also, Tim is good at answering questions and is pleasant to listen to. I would certainly welcome more Q&As, I quite enjoyed this one.
  • Mabster and kenup like this

mes

mes

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Microing party member positioning... yes!!!

Modding or at least custom campaign creation would be really great. New mods coming out would significantly extend the life of the game. Look at what it did for NWN. Do a stretch goal for it--I for one would increase my donation.

@Andtalah: Excellent points!

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1957 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I just want to say for what this Rabbit's thoughts are worth I like the answers given to the questions, and it gives me confidence that the devs have put some serious thought into all these aspects. That is all, you may resume your previously scheduled programming.

Stun

Stun

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

NeuroArcanist asks…
What aspect of cRPGs missing from modern games do you most want to recapture with Project Eternity?

Answer: I can answer that in one word: parties. I like playing cRPG's that allow the player to control big parties of characters, and by control, I mean you can pick the actions of each party member if you want. We will have lots of pause conditions in our combat, and if you want to have the game pause whenever a party member can perform a new action, you can do that. Most modern games only let you control one character, or if they give you a party, you only control one member of that group. In this game, I want to control all of them.

I hope that doesn't mean too much micro management, and that they can handle their inventories on their own if you so please. Or better yet, have a large shared party inventory, instead of being split between multiple characters.

God I hope not. Never played a game with decent enough AI that I could trust my companions to intelligently "handle their inventory on their own". In systems like that, your companions inevidably make the most retarded choices. They'll use up the charges on their best wands when fighting.... goblins. They'll chug down all their healing potions when the fight is almost won. They'll use up all their summoning devices regardless of the threat in front of them etc.

And shared inventory? Kill it with fire, as you guys like to say, here.

No. The way the IE games did it worked well, and with a little bit of 21st century tweaking, they can take the IE systems and make them work VERY well.

PS: Micro-management is a loaded term. There's a negative stigma attached to it that doesn't do it justice. How about "Full Control". Yeah, when I'm playing a party-based RPG, I want full control.

Edited by Stun, 29 September 2012 - 11:57 AM.

• Kai, pbo and Living One like this

Nakia

Nakia

Rogue of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Steam:nakiarogue
  • Kickstarter Backer
I am also a little disapointed that armour will be usuable by anyone regardless of class or race.At least the non-enchanted armour. I always take the attitude with enchanted armour that a "stretch or shrink to fit" spell is included.
  • Archon likes this

Piccolo

Piccolo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 431 posts
Nice update.

I was a little apprehensive about RTwP at first, as I generally find turn-based to be a lot more enjoyable. In some ways though, I'm relieved that Tim and the other devs are sticking to their guns on the issue. That to me says they're not only very confident about delivering a great combat system, but also that they're determined to follow their own vision and not fall into the trap of trying to appease the fans too much (which is perhaps my biggest concern about the Kickstarter approach).

Edited by Piccolo, 29 September 2012 - 12:04 PM.

Metabot

Metabot

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Classes are definitely fine, especially in a party based game. I just hope that they make interesting classes with unique options and gameplay for each.

Elidar

Elidar

The Guardian of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

NeuroArcanist asks…
What aspect of cRPGs missing from modern games do you most want to recapture with Project Eternity?

Answer: I can answer that in one word: parties. I like playing cRPG's that allow the player to control big parties of characters, and by control, I mean you can pick the actions of each party member if you want. We will have lots of pause conditions in our combat, and if you want to have the game pause whenever a party member can perform a new action, you can do that. Most modern games only let you control one character, or if they give you a party, you only control one member of that group. In this game, I want to control all of them.

What I'd really like to know is if there's going to be something like in BG, Icewind Dale, etc., meaning scripts or some kind of AI based sets of behavior for certain classes during combat?
While I am looking forward to being able to control the whole party, I also don't want to go too deep into micro management for some easier fights and in case of a difficult fight I also would like to see my companions being able to handle themselves without me telling them their every single move.

Shardbearer

Shardbearer

Herald of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

NeuroArcanist asks…

I hope that doesn't mean too much micro management, and that they can handle their inventories on their own if you so please. Or better yet, have a large shared party inventory, instead of being split between multiple characters.

God I hope not. Never played a game with decent enough AI that I could trust my companions to intelligently "handle their inventory on their own". In systems like that, your companions inevidably make the most retarded choices. They'll use up the charges on their best wands when fighting.... goblins. They'll chug down all their healing potions when the fight is almost won. They'll use up all their summoning devices regardless of the threat in front of them etc.

And shared inventory? Kill it with fire, as you guys like to say, here.

No. The way the IE games did it worked well, and with a little bit of 21st century tweaking, they can take the IE systems and make them work VERY well.

PS: Micro-management is a loaded term. There's a negative stigma attached to it that doesn't do it justice. How about "Full Control". Yeah, when I'm playing a party-based RPG, I want full control.

I wouldn't want shared inventory, but it would be nice to have all the inventories open at once, so I don't have to keep clicking back and forth between characters trying to remember where I last stuffed something
  • Freddo and kenup like this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
You could use 1-6 hotkeys in IE games.

Stun

Stun

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

While I am looking forward to being able to control the whole party, I also don't want to go too deep into micro management for some easier fights and in case of a difficult fight I also would like to see my companions being able to handle themselves without me telling them their every single move.

In the IE games, there was a 'select all' button that became quite useful for those easier fights where you didn't feel the need to stop and assign everyone a unique action.

For example, you come across a group of about 5 Orcs. No need for micro-management in such a situation. Simply click "select all" then point your curser at one of the orcs, and your entire party will just start attacking the orc you clicked on until he dies, then they'll automatically move on to the next orc, then the next, then the next until there's none left.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5055 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Good answers. :)

The component I don't particularly like about RTwP is when the party members just start running all over the place, attacking whomever, without trying to maintain decent group cohesion. I'd like the characters to fight as a team and not have to be constantly yanking them back into formation.

Modding may be a nice addition, but I'll bet most people can probably live without it. There are plenty of other game engines out there where people can spend their modding energies. Still, modding does seem to extend the life of games, so, if the game is a retail success, it wouldn't surprise me to see it made available at some point.

Knott

Knott

Viking of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
-- Double-post

Edited by Knott, 29 September 2012 - 01:01 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, reddit, tim cain, classes, modding, reactivity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users