How Immersive & Involved do you want Character Creation to be?

During CHARACTER CREATION what methods get you most invested in the game.  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What gets you most invested in a Characters Story during Character Creation.

• PRELUDE [Narrative Background that I can play through that determines some setting choices pre-game and then allows Character Sheet tweaking]
    • THEMED STEP-BY-STEP [ Separate Screens that walk you through what effect you choices will have on your starting point and progression in the world]
    • RANDOM ROLL [ Take what you are given and read you Characters Journal play in the world to find out more]
    • INTERACTIVE [ A Tutorial that demonstrates how a skill will play in the game when you take it and allows you to pick your favourites]
    • R.T.F.M. [ Read a PDF, Manual or Website to get background on the game, then read a set of P&P rules and enter the results when the game starts]
    • OLD SCHOOL CHARACTER SHEET [ I just want to crunch some numbers on one page then see where the game takes me]
    • PRE-GEN [ I want somebody who wrote the story to come up with several basic start points with deep background and interaction that I can pick between]
    • GET ON WITH IT [ I want only ONE main character that the story was written for, I don't need choice of character just a good story that I can have an effect on]
  2. 2. Character Creation is not that important to me as long as I can still make choices in the game that effects the outcome of events in it.

• Agree
    • Disagree

As long as the mechanics are clearly laid out and choices in front of me allow me to flesh out a concept I have in my head then it really doesn't matter to me. In general though, I don't like long narrative sequences and I don't need everything spelled out for me. NWN2's chargen was good and I still like the way Fallout and Arcanum did it.

I don't know how that exactly fits in with the poll, but whatever.

• Like 1

i voted the 2 first choices. either make the character as you go through a tutorial, or BG style step by step.

also i dont really care to have a detailed character creation. im fine with a premade character that i can shape during the game.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

questionares can be fun. I for example liked one in Jagged Alliance 2, but that was because questions were funny and character creation didn't played so high role as it usually plays in crpgs. So I can't say how well such questionare can work in project eternity.Questionares in elders scroll games didn't sit well for me. But bethesdas games are not best examples about character creation in first place.

If there is interactive character creation it should be fun also on reruns of the game. Interactive character creation can be fun on first play through but I haven't seen any implementation where second, thrid and so on times were something else than tiresome waste of time, so I can't recomend it.

Best character creation system what I have seen are those which gave player clear options where s/he can choose and creation tool tells for the player what impacts this options have in the game.

I do not want taken by my hand and guided through everything, we are not idiots, so drop the tutorials.

Characters mean everything in RPG's so character design should be very detailed and flexible. Unfortunately in a lot of games the choices are superficial, like in Forgotten realms you can pick the god you follow, which is the last you ever hear of it.

I hope Project Eternity is different and our choices matter.

Definitely a character sheet, something like NWN2 works great. Obviously you also need a bunch of (decent) pre-made's to pick from as well, if you don't feel like customizing a character.

If there is interactive character creation it should be fun also on reruns of the game. Interactive character creation can be fun on first play through but I haven't seen any implementation where second, thrid and so on times were something else than tiresome waste of time, so I can't recommend it.

Yeah this is my problem those things too.

If you want a prelude type thing then it needs to be skippable.

Edited by moridin84

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

I would just like a big ol' character sheet slapped in my face when starting up the game. Obviously with good tooltips and such if you want them on, that is one good "modern" feature to have. But yeah... I like to just have all the character options gathered in that one place, and then I can tweak them to my heart's content.

EDIT: Character creation should be the first, big choice you make in the game I think. It should, in some ways, decide a lot of how you experience the game through your character.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I couldn't find any options in the poll that fit. I'd be perfectly happy with just a BG2 or IWD system, but I quite liked the ToEE system as well. I'm not bothered by innovative character creation as long as I don't have to use questionaires or tutorials. I hate those. I like to study the manual and min/max in my head for a while before starting the game though. I'm kind of indifferent to starting backgrounds. Perhaps if it was done in a way that actually affected the story it might be interesting. I'm not too thrilled with the idea of your background affecting your stats though.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I often enjoy character creation, especially in games like Fallout 1&2 and Arcanum. Really, I'm not that picky, though. I don't particularly like in-game generation like in Fallout 3 and New Vegas because they become mind numbingly tedious on repeated playthroughs, but they don't ruin the game for me. The only way character creation can ruin the game for me is if I am stuck playing a pre-set character that I can't identify with at all. This is the problem I have with the Witcher games. There are things about those games that I really like, but I can't empathize with Geralt at all (or with any of the other characters for that matter). As such, I have never really been able to get into the games. It took me years to finally get all the way through the first game, and I have only managed to get a few hours into the second one.

I often enjoy character creation, especially in games like Fallout 1&2 and Arcanum. Really, I'm not that picky, though. I don't particularly like in-game generation like in Fallout 3 and New Vegas because they become mind numbingly tedious on repeated playthroughs, but they don't ruin the game for me. The only way character creation can ruin the game for me is if I am stuck playing a pre-set character that I can't identify with at all. This is the problem I have with the Witcher games. There are things about those games that I really like, but I can't empathize with Geralt at all (or with any of the other characters for that matter). As such, I have never really been able to get into the games. It took me years to finally get all the way through the first game, and I have only managed to get a few hours into the second one.

Pretty much this. I like to customize my character even if it is only superficial. If it has an effect on the game itself, than that's all the better, but a good character creation experience does a lot to color how I feel about the game afterwards, especially early on. A less good game (NWN) will draw me in more than a superior game (The Witcher) if I feel that, on some level, I have invested something of myself into the character I'm playing.

Whose idea was the question answer and psych test format for character creation in FONV? That was really awful.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

This is a strange poll. I'll just go with, I want character creation to be something like D+D plus Fallout.

It is indeed strange and rather confusing too... The typos don't help either. ^^

Whose idea was the question answer and psych test format for character creation in FONV? That was really awful.

Play Fallout 3, then you will know (Answer: Bethesda).

Edited by dlux

:closed:

Arcanum, Fallout 1/2, Drakensang, NWN 2, etc... style character creation would make me happy. Lots of options and some background traits that effects the starting experience.

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

Yeah, character sheet with all the delicious numbers, tasty statistics, and succulent selection choices for me. The more sliders, selectors, distributors and dials, the better. If there is a reasonable way to incorporate graphs and arcane formula, then even better-er. I expect that I will need to read the manual/rules before I even think about creating a character.

Of course, a nice selection of pre-rolled characters and packages are fine for those who aren't as bat **** crazy as me.

Let me type in a short background, or at least add my own notes to an existing background package.

No, no, no to FO3 style (or similar) tutorial/story-driven character generation. If there is a tutorial, then make it a separate choice in the menu.

I doubt there'll be a huge amount of stat customisation (beyond choosing the major strength, intelligence, etc stats) at the character creation portion due to you having to select a class (if the game was classless I'd expect more at-the-start-stat-customisation) - I'd expect the majority of that to come later on when you start to level. I suspect that people expecting fallout levels of starting selections will be disappointed.

I remember some older CRPG (Ravenloft) having a gypsy laying out cards on a table. This method of character generation was simply fitting the theme of the game.

The Infinity Engine character generation was OK too. You were led step by step through the creation screen and determined your character.

• Like 1

I remember some older CRPG (Ravenloft) having a gypsy laying out cards on a table. This method of character generation was simply fitting the theme of the game.

The Infinity Engine character generation was OK too. You were led step by step through the creation screen and determined your character.

Ultima-games did the gipsy thing ever since Ultima 4, it was somewhat decent system and suited the game. Not sure will it work in Project Eternity but it all depends how they do the game.

• Like 1