How Immersive & Involved do you want Character Creation to be?

During CHARACTER CREATION what methods get you most invested in the game.  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What gets you most invested in a Characters Story during Character Creation.

• PRELUDE [Narrative Background that I can play through that determines some setting choices pre-game and then allows Character Sheet tweaking]
    • THEMED STEP-BY-STEP [ Separate Screens that walk you through what effect you choices will have on your starting point and progression in the world]
    • RANDOM ROLL [ Take what you are given and read you Characters Journal play in the world to find out more]
    • INTERACTIVE [ A Tutorial that demonstrates how a skill will play in the game when you take it and allows you to pick your favourites]
    • R.T.F.M. [ Read a PDF, Manual or Website to get background on the game, then read a set of P&P rules and enter the results when the game starts]
    • OLD SCHOOL CHARACTER SHEET [ I just want to crunch some numbers on one page then see where the game takes me]
    • PRE-GEN [ I want somebody who wrote the story to come up with several basic start points with deep background and interaction that I can pick between]
    • GET ON WITH IT [ I want only ONE main character that the story was written for, I don't need choice of character just a good story that I can have an effect on]
  2. 2. Character Creation is not that important to me as long as I can still make choices in the game that effects the outcome of events in it.

• Agree
    • Disagree

So I got to thinking about Character Creation and how different games have handled it.

One of the most enjoyable times I ever created a Character was Mass Effect 1. Even though it was basically a step-by-step progression Character sheet

the trappings used in its construction allowed you to either play straight away as Sheploo or build your own Shepard without a jaringly different experience for the self created avatar. The failing computer records system (That occurred when you Generated your own Shepard) felt just as much a part of the story as the plot that followed. (This was lost a bit in ME2 & ME3, in fact Character import being broke was a major negative)

It was neither to confusing or sparse in appearance and the music was a dream. The different themes really thrust you into the story and your Origin choice had a real game effect in the tone setting of the opening sequence.

This was enough for me to still love the game even after the A,B,C pick a colour ending and RUSH JOB that was ME3 that made me spit bullets.

What do people want to see (or don't want to see) when sorting out an Avatar to play P.E.

[Answers on the back of a postcard :p]

• Like 2

Industrial "Cheesecake" Scribe (The slight let-down of the Obsidian Order)

I want something large, and maybe even needlessly complicated and I am here serious , I love to spend hours with character creation having fun with stats, traits, class, races, background, something in vein of second NwN , what I don't want to see is what bioware did with mass effect and dragon age 2 where you play one character who can be either jerk, good guy or a fool

• Like 13

If you're a fan of character creation that disguises itself (however superficially) as part of the game's plot, then Bethesda's games have some good examples.

There's also the Ultima-style "personality quiz" method of character creation but those are way too prone to cheesy metagaming IMO.

But yeah, in terms of sheer size and complexity you can't go wrong with NWN2's chargen.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 3

The deeper the character creation process, the more those differences between the characters you can make should be noticeable in the actual game.

In other words, I want a really in depth character creation process, but I want my different decisions to actually have an impact on the game world. If we're to choose actual backgrounds for our characters, then maybe a background-specific sidequest needs to be added. That way my thief who grew up on the street will have to deal with a situation that my paladin from a wealthy family does not have to in my travels.

• Like 3

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I want something large, and maybe even needlessly complicated and I am here serious , I love to spend hours with character creation having fun with stats, traits, class, races, background, something in vein of second NwN , what I don't want to see is what bioware did with mass effect and dragon age 2 where you play one character who can be either jerk, good guy or a fool

I'm not really focusing on Story rail roading or conversation options, more on the feeling of the act of Character creation and if some people can come up with a system that is both

intuitive & highly customisable.

When I talk of Mass Effect it is purely to state what I thought was done right about it not to be a Bioware Cheerleader :)

Yes we could of been given more options but the way it dealt with the limited hand of cards a player was presented with was well done in my opinion.

Something like RoA or Darklands or Daggerfall.

In a pinch, something like NWN 2 is vaguely acceptable.

Just none of this streamlined modern garbage that chokes me in tutorials and helpful hints. I can read the manual, thank you.

• Like 3

Creating my character is the number one reason why I play cRPGs. Everything else comes in behind being able to create my own character.

I have fun with questionnaires, or playing through character creation, as long as it is skipable and I get to see a character sheet at the end and edit it to my tastes.

• Like 5

Again I'm not trying to support a hand holding, one size fits all character creation. Just trying to see what people enjoy about different games.

Think of it more as an attempt to make the deep complex version of character creation something that everybody will want to do and not just a glorified

filling in of the back of a beer mat with a note about how you really like swords the best.

Also I want these choices to matter and be represented in the story. If you want me to pick a favourite colour or an evil childhood nemesis it better appear in the game.

Arcanum had a fairly nice balance, more recently I also liked Drakensangs.

What the hell ever happened to Dragon magazine anyway, just stopped appearing in the newsagents over here in blighty.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Arcanum had a fairly nice balance, more recently I also liked Drakensangs.

What the hell ever happened to Dragon magazine anyway, just stopped appearing in the newsagents over here in blighty.

Dragon? Uhm, WotC took the license away from Paizo and made it part of the WotC D&D website first, then part of DDI. Back in like 2007-2008.

• Like 2

Went missing in action mid 90's over here, ah well cheers anyway Merin.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I Think Dragon and Dungeon magazine were taken out back & shot. Then the Zombie Magazine that calls itself "White Dwarf" Danced on its corpse...

I wish there was a decent magazine that covered everything like the early Dragons & White Dwarfs. The covers and artwork was just great.

• Like 1

Jagged Alliance 2 and Arcanum had fun character creation mechanics. But after the questionnaires, as others have stated, we should have the ability to modify the character sheet prior to finalizing.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I didn't vote because I'm not sure I'm visualizing exactly how some of these options would work. I also object to the use of the term "Immersive" here because character *creation* ought to PRECEDE the game. Lemme see here:

PRELUDE--this sounds a lot like how Bethesda has done character creation recently, no? I'm not a huge fan of this because it becomes INCREDIBLY annoying to play through the same very restricted series of mini-quests in order to start a new character.

THEMED STEP-BY-STEP--can I get an example game for this one? Are you talking about the character creation screen(s) having some kind of voiceover that informs you "if you lower your strength that far, you will have to make 35 trips to the dungeon to carry out enough loot to repair your gear" Or are you talking about something like the old Daggerfall system where they'd have questions like "what's your most prized possession" and depending on what you pick, you get a bonus starting item? (I always picked the ebony dagger because a.) worth a lot of cash and b.) only way you were guaranteed to get a weapon that could hurt that @#$#@ imp at the end of the first dungeon.) Either way, it sounds like pointless cheese which would definitely get annoying on repeated playthroughs.

RANDOM ROLL--I don't even think this one belongs on the poll because this has nothing to do with the stylistic fixin's surrounding character creation. It's just how you generate stats. I notice you didn't include point buy as an option. I (kind of) like random roll in that it gives you the (theoretical) opportunity to create a character that's unusually powerful provided you have the patience to roll 5,000 times, but, ultimately, I'd be just as happy if they let you manually max out your stats and go. Or just gave you fixed stats or point buy--it's the same in the end and saves a ton of clicking. I would like it if you get more stat points for a new character when you complete the game, though, that'd make trying out new builds more fun for me.

INTERACTIVE--Personally, I think this sort of thing is a colossal waste of time as character creation. It becomes INCREDIBLY annoying when you have to repeat it every. time. you. play. If they did it like Baldur's Gate's tutorial where it's a completely separate sideline to the game (Candlekeep was not actually the "tutorial" for that game), that'd be okay.

RTFM--I prefer nowadays that games don't really even have a manual, but I would like the game to be deep enough that if you want to really powergame it with all the hard modes turned on, you're going to be considering where to spend every point. Likewise I'd prefer if newbies just looking for a good time can toss their points in any old how and go. (Or even use a pre-generated build helpfully included by the devs.) So I'd prefer there not be Required Reading.

OLD SCHOOL CHARACTER SHEET--This option is covered under at least 3 things you've already listed.

PRE-GEN--now you're talking about story and not stats. This isn't and doesn't have to be a DIFFERENT option from the ones you've already listed, it could be combined successfully with any of them.

GET ON WITH IT--even with The Nameless One you had to decide how to spend your stats, so, again, this could exist alongside any of the other systems above.

Ultimately, I just don't want to be forced to play a tiresome little mini-adventure questionnaire thing before I can distribute my stat points (or however character creation is going to work), mod my appearance (as much as this is going to be possible when your character is ONE INCH HIGH), and go. I REALLY don't.

• Like 3

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Creating a highly detailed character, getting in there and playing with the numbers and carcing out a background to give the character life are all highly important to me.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Can't really say I'm all to concerned by the method of making it, more appreciative of the world reacting to the stuff I've chosen, but I'd pick the step by step option

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra