Screen shaking when critical striking please!

Long knife, frankly I don't see what you're talking about. The critical hits and its visual effects are a longtime feature from the IE and even original Fallouts. It's not actiony or even new-fangled. It's nothing like how you described in the Bethesda games, which btw, I despise. Anything that goes away from that is always a good thing in my book.

Again, it's a relatively inexpensive way to indicate a critical hit and adds flavor without really breaking the fourth wall, so to speak.

Not saying they are similar, either. But you asked why people are so stand-offish about all sorts of things like this, I answered why. Yes it's paranoid and overly-cautious, but I personally don't care because I agree with it, nor do I care if there's no indicator besides text that says "Critical." I would not mind at all if such indicators or whatever were the bare minimum, but would I mind if they were over the top or annoying? Yes.

As I said, I'd like the devs to ask themselves if an indicator is annoying, potentially repetitive, eats time or impacts gameplay. If it does any of those, do NOT include it. Different sound cues, imo, tend to be superior for this because they don't eat time, sounds don't get repetitive or annoying (unless you're using a freaking cat's mating call as your crit sound...) and don't effect gameplay. If they insist on something like the original Fallouts for example, then perhaps it'd be wise (both sides of the argument would appreciate it) if triggering one of those didn't lock you into place and force you to watch some guy writhe in pain, but rather he did so as your battle continues.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

The shaky cam doesn't affect gameplay either. It's just a split-second visual effect. There's nothing "Hollywood" about it, it's retro as hell. You shouldn't be inflicting enough critical hits to see it very often anyway.

But of course it should be toggleable.

Edited by Infinitron

Longknife, fair enough and agree with your last paragraph.

In the screen shaking scenario though, there was a little bit of a slow-mo effect, but it didn't last long, no one is locked in place and the gameplay is still running. This is still dissimilar to the distractions from the Bethesda and even Dragon Age style kill cams.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Shaking the screen is ... pointless. I'd prefer a red critical number showing up or better : animation like cutting an arm, leg or instant kill.

I hope it can be deactivated if it's in... Maybe we can have the screen swaying like the 10th update video.... :banghead:

Uh. Battle cries. In BG2 those were even worse than the screen shake. I consider the game unplayable with voices on. Absolutely awful voice acting. And that whole "Right away!" or whatever every time you moved your characters anywhere would be enough to make me smash my monitor in in the first 5 minutes if I couldn't turn it off.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I like the effect, especially when my characters do a battle cry right before they crit. It seems like the blow has more power behind it.

I agree with that and I love it when MInsc made a critical hit and shouted 'Go for the Eyes!', and of course I think it should be optional to turn it off.

There are people that didn't turn this off? I pity you.

Edit: Maybe as an option if some intern can copy&paste the Baldur's Gate screen shaking code in five minutes while he is making coffee with his other hand.

Edited by Jasede
  • Like 1

Option to turn it off would be required. I personally hated it because I'm staring at the screen to micromanage everything and then the screen shake would be disorienting for a moment--even a moment of lost combat flow not of my choosing (as opposed to manual pause) is annoying.

For crits in BG, I liked the foe-shaped chunky bits as a visual cue and the party NPC battle cry to match. That was enough for me.

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

New reward: one free PE vomit bag with every 10 screen shakes we add!

But what about the splattering body bits flying across the screen?

I actually liked the giblets flying around on a particularly good hit. I wouldn't mind those coming back but in extreme moderation.

The shaky cam doesn't affect gameplay either. It's just a split-second visual effect. There's nothing "Hollywood" about it, it's retro as hell. You shouldn't be inflicting enough critical hits to see it very often anyway.

But of course it should be toggleable.

Hollywood is more retro than pc gaming. Back in the day, instead of shaking the camera they would had done something like:

6qoYL.png

:p

But yeah, if it's toggleable, no problem there.

• Like 1

The only "oomph" I want from a critical hit, besides doing more damage of course, is a more deeper sound than a normal attack.

Sounds like a good idea...I'd go for that.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts