Screen shaking when critical striking please!

I think one of elements that make combats exciting in BG and IWD is screen shaking when one of your charactors make a critical hit and shout his warcry. And this is what ,in my opinion, NWN2 lack of, which makes the combats in NWN2 quite boring. This is really a detailed issue but i wish it will be in PE!

• Like 1

Ugh. I hated that effect. It was awful. I couldn't play at all until I had turned it off.

• Like 4

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

Hey guys, what if we make this vid play every time your character scores a critical hit:

I think that'd be pretty cool.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Why is everyone so vehemently opposed to this? I've always though critical hits should be special in some way, certainly some sort of sound effect or something. Crits are rare, at least when you don't have a mathematical crit rate of 150% like in Kotor 2, and the player should feel some sort of positive feedback when they do happen.

• Like 2

"Six bullets. More than enough to kill anything that moves."

"Simon! Let's see you grit those teeth!"

I think critical hits should cause instant-death. That could be rare, and lucky indeed. I mean, when I think of a critical hit, I think of someone getting a knife shoved through their throat, or taking a crossbow bolt to the head, right between the eyes. How about, to make crits special, they insta-kill (and for the hardcore nuts, this means enemies can one shot you, too!), and possibly play some sort of screaming-in-anguish sound effect as the creature or person is violently and horrifically slain.

That, to me, is a hell of a lot better than a shaking screen. That just makes me feel nauseous. And I'm not in the habit of playing games that make me want to vomit, you know?

But, even after all that, I don't see the harm in it, as long as it can be toggled off.

Edited by HangedMan

Do you like hardcore realistic survival simulations? Take a gander at this.

Yes please. It's a nice and relatively inexpensive way to provide a visual/audio que of a critical hit. Good suggestion.

I really don't get all the hate and relatively mild vitriol directed at this idea.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yes please. It's a nice and relatively inexpensive way to provide a visual/audio que of a critical hit. Good suggestion.

I really don't get all the hate and relatively mild vitriol directed at this idea.

Because it's needlessly action-y. There's lots of needless action and cinematics in video games, and it's only getting worse.

Great example? Skyrim. Skyrim has kill cams that activate at random if your next hit is gonna be enough to kill the opponent....or if it's enough for them to kill you. The problem? They're programmed horribly. All it does is ask "is the opponent attempting to attack" and "will it be enough to kill you if it hits." IF it hits. That's a big if, and yet as long as the answer is "yes" to both of those, you'll find yourself locked in place and killed by a move that you could've dodged or blocked, if the game simply gave you a chance. Instead, the opponent launches 5 feet forward and proceeds to kill you, just because he happens to hit hard. Your skill at dodging, your stats, your HP potions you have hotkeyed? Nothing matters, and Bethesda doesn't think this should be patched. No on the contrary, they make MORE KILLCAMS, because by God we need action-y kill sequences in our games!

Therefore I think people are starting to hate their very being in any form, which with all due respect, I consider quite healthy, given that there's nothing neccesary about such action-y cinematics. They do nothing but stroke the player's ego, but they do so in a way that many of us loathe. We loathe them because they're either annoying, they take excessive amounts of time or, in the above case, are actually detrimental to gameplay. There's plenty of ways to stroke the player's ego WITHOUT doing any of that.

You know how VATS will let you know you're gonna crit in FO3 and New Vegas? Screen goes black and white and you get a notifier in the top-left corner. Bam. If you want a visual or audio cue, then either give it a unique sound or do something like black and white. No cinematics, no slow-motion for dramatic effect, no going super saiyan and exploding the sun, just do something that doesn't eat time, doesn't get repetitive and annoying and doesn't impact gameplay.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

To add to the screen shaking, if the critical hits result in a kill, the victim needs to explode like a blood sausage. Because it's cool.

Long knife, frankly I don't see what you're talking about. The critical hits and its visual effects are a longtime feature from the IE and even original Fallouts. It's not actiony or even new-fangled. It's nothing like how you described in the Bethesda games, which btw, I despise. Anything that goes away from that is always a good thing in my book.

Again, it's a relatively inexpensive way to indicate a critical hit and adds flavor without really breaking the fourth wall, so to speak.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle