Fishing  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Fishing for income, crafting materials, quests, etc...?

• Yes
    • No

If there are quests/goals related to it and it's not tooo much of a dragged out time-sink in order to achieve them, sure, I sometimes like fishing/mini-games..can be a relaxing thing to do when I don't feel like direct combat exploration. As long as they're optional and not a requirement for main storyline quests.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

One thing I enjoyed in WoW was when I was too tired for any kind of gaming that required me thinking, I usually found myself a nice spot with a tiny chance for a nice item to fish up. While it was kinda pointless compared to other things to do in the game, it still felt really nice. I'd like to imagine my char taking some time off from being a hero and simly enjoy some casual fishing, instead of chilling at the lokal inn.

So I'd like to have it in the game, though I wouldn't consider it a priority.

How is a fish going to help us? I doubt after selling twelve fish you could pay for for even a new pair of boots let alone elven enchanted boots.

I am for mini games, but they have to affect the game in some way.

It's simply additional layers to the game to add to the role playing environment.

Say your first character is a mage who becomes an exceptionally powerful wizard and you complete the main quest or retire that character and start over.

Perhaps you decide you want to try something completely different next time and play a sort of ranger character from the Southern Boreal region, a dwarf who lives off the land. You consider your character concept and make choices about stuff you think he would want to do. If he is on a long journey from his homeland to, say The Godhammer Citadel, he's probably going to provide for himself by hunting and fishing along the way, perhaps tanning the hides of his game to repair his fur armor or craft something new, like a tent, etc.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople

Making armour and weapons are all fine and dandy.

But fishing is something else, it does not add anything that affects the game, beyond depth as you say. But lets face it, the depth is superficial at most and the actual use is minimal.

Anyway, when I think of isometric fishing it brings me back many, many years to Ultima Online, it was not what one could call fun. What would your companions do while you postpone your adventure to save the land in order to catch a salmon? Stand around and take in the sun?

Making armour and weapons are all fine and dandy.

But fishing is something else, it does not add anything that affects the game, beyond depth as you say. But lets face it, the depth is superficial at most and the actual use is minimal.

Anyway, when I think of isometric fishing it brings me back many, many years to Ultima Online, it was not what one could call fun. What would your companions do while you postpone your adventure to save the land in order to catch a salmon? Stand around and take in the sun?

I'd imagine your companion would probably be grateful for the meal and glad to be traveling with someone resourceful. Even heroes need to eat. :deadhorse: We don't know yet if the "Expert" mode will include basic needs, but if so, being able to fish, hunt and cook your own meals, or craft a tent out of animal hides for sleeping, etc., would be a great complement.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople

So why do people like fishing anyway?

Have you played Arx Fatalis? It's not so much a question of liking it. It's just a way to get free food when you are hungry and your stats are dropping. If there is no food mechanic in the game it is utterly pointless.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

This is a fine idea for games like Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis or Ultima but I just don't see this having a place in an IE-like game.

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean because PE will have a larger party? Or because Arx Fatalis and Underworld were first person view?

Edited by IcyDeadPeople

AF/UU are a completely different genre of RPG for which different mechanics are more appropriate. I feel that an IE game ought to focus on different mechanics than the semi-open world Ultima 6/7 or the first-person dungeon crawlers UU and Arx Fatalis.

Unless this game came with a dedicated food system there is really no reason to bother with all the additional time this would require. There'd need to be a fishing skill, various fishing outcomes, a system to cook or process the fish and so on and so on. And what for? People would still just buy food at the next inn. I know I walked around with a giant bag of jerky in Ultima 7 because it was the cheapest even though in theory I could have baked bread for free.