Fishing  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Fishing for income, crafting materials, quests, etc...?

• Yes
    • No

With the ocean sounding somewhat significant in PE, how would you feel about a fishing mechanic being implemented? Nothing super in-depth like different rods, lures, or lines, but rather just a simple iteration like that in Torchlight or something.

Fishing could be a source of income for the player or a means of obtaining crafting materials. I could even imagine that some of the more advanced factions/regions (or even some crazy old hermit) would be interested in hiring the player to catch fish for research purposes. Remember, there's apparently huge sea creatures that can take down armies. I'm sure someone in the game world is interested in learning about them.

Edited by Gebs
  • Like 1

I voted yes, it could be something that adds a level of additional adventure. As you mentioned the sea contains its own mysteries which need to be understood

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Please no mini games.

Did you read the Ops suggestions? He isn't necessarily talking about mini-games but the broader topic of fishing and quests that would be related to it

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Please no mini games.

Did you read the Ops suggestions? He isn't necessarily talking about mini-games but the broader topic of fishing and quests that would be related to it

They specifically mentioned Torchlight. I haven't played a game with fishing that hasn't been based around a mini game.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

As a fan of the Dragon Breath series I gotta say that fishing is a yay for me. Besides I need something to do while drunk.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If hunger and thirst mechanics were implemented in the game, fishing, like hunting, could be a way to acquire food. That I would like. No minigames, just a simple system. You use the skill and if you pass a test/are lucky, you catch a fish. Since, I don't thing you will have to eat and drink in Project Eternity, fishing would be pointless.

Edited by norolim
  • Like 1

I think Zelda Wind Waker did a really great job with the fishing. Albeit, that game pretty much took place entirely in a body of water, but the fishing was totally optional and never really punished you for ignoring it. I really liked how you could find items as well, since I'm sure there's bound to be some great loot in PE buried in the depths.

I also totally agree with nikolokolus in the respect that this should in no way be a priority or mandatory feature. Just something fun if time and money permits.

Oh my Capital! I didn't know that Project Eternity is a collction of Facebook games with one ultimate choice: which one to play. I choose Project Eternity: Farming with orcs.

Edited by Capitalism
  • Like 2

Capitalism loves you, even if post above is full of hatred.

No, dear gods no. Kill it with fire. Talk with people, solve puzzles and mysteries, kill things and take their stuff, yes. But fishing? No. Just no.

I'm not normally that vehement, and it that's what floats your boat good for you, but no. If I wanted that sort of thing as a game mechanic I'd play WoW.

Edited by Dianjabla

I can come up with a mini game comprised of 17 subskills under the "fishing" section, 45 different fishes, 13 different tools ! Just ask !

Im interested, can you post the structure of your fishing mini-game?

John Milton 

As a rule I'm against minigames, but I found that mechanic mildly amusing in Arx Fatalis. I don't think it's worth much development time. If there is already food in the game and they could code the fishing function in a few hours then maybe, but it's probably not worth the effort for a low budget game like this. I'd much rather see them spend the time on allowing more than one rolled character.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I don't think I'd waste my time with a fishing-lottery even if something like that was in the game. I wouldn't mind fishing without any minigames and could guarantee success with just cunning and lightning reflexes. Expanding on that, a sidequest where the player commandeers a fishing boat or gets to manage an entire fishing company would be pretty awesome. Moral choices to club baby seals or not. Going crazy in search of mythical prey. "There she blows! Man the harpoons!"

Edited by Mabster