Dog companion  

401 members have voted

1. 1. Do you dog companion (like Dogmeat)?

• 2 weeks later...

Please. No more dogs. I dont like animals as it is and if I had to have a companion let it be something original or something thats an easter egg. Floating skull (Morte), Hamster (boo) or a rabid rabbit with fangs (Monty Phyton). No dogs, cats, badgers, or rats. No harry potter owls or rideable tigers.

Id rather have a companion from a sentient race, like a pixie or a treeant. Hell even a fairy or a blob. Would actually be fun to have a gelatinous cube or blob of snot follow you around.

• Like 2

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!

Please. No more dogs. I dont like animals as it is and if I had to have a companion let it be something original or something thats an easter egg. Floating skull (Morte), Hamster (boo) or a rabid rabbit with fangs (Monty Phyton). No dogs, cats, badgers, or rats. No harry potter owls or rideable tigers.

Id rather have a companion from a sentient race, like a pixie or a treeant. Hell even a fairy or a blob. Would actually be fun to have a gelatinous cube or blob of snot follow you around.

I want my own headcrab called ramall Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 2

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Neither dog nor cat person here, I like dogs and cats, but I don't like cat-sized dogs, and for some reason feel uncomfortable in the presence of dog-sized cats.

I don't think an animal is a proper party member for an Obsidian game, there is only some much talkietalk you can do, and even a well done animal would have the personality of a mid 1980's NPC, because there is only so much an animal can communicate. Given the choice between a talking spirit bear fighter and a humanoid companion that has interests and problems which are, well, human, I'd chose the later. Same goes for psychopathic killer-robots, or even sillier stuff like walking trunks or jigging mushroom-men.

A ranger companion, a familiar, or an inventory-only pet (like a certain megalomaniac stumpy tail rat) are okay, and why not allow permanent summons (Geneforge anyone?) If you want a carrion crawler pet, how about you summon one, and cast a permanency spell on it?

Edited by JOG
  • Like 1

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

A pet rodent would be of more use than pet dog, rodent for example could steal keys from guards when locked up or scout ahead without raising suspicion or being noticed by enemies but same cannot be said for dogs they are too big, too loud and do not blend into all situation possible enviroments to be much use in either those situations (imho). While a dog might help in a fight, thats what your actual companions exist for, a dog is not required for such things.

Edited by Dragoonlordz

Neither dog nor cat person here, I like dogs and cats, but I don't like cat-sized dogs, and for some reason feel uncomfortable in the presence of dog-sized cats.

I don't think an animal is a proper party member for an Obsidian game, there is only some much talkietalk you can do, and even a well done animal would have the personality of a mid 1980's NPC, because there is only so much an animal can communicate. Given the choice between a talking spirit bear fighter and a humanoid companion that has interests and problems which are, well, human, I'd chose the later. Same goes for psychopathic killer-robots, or even sillier stuff like walking trunks or jigging mushroom-men.

A ranger companion, a familiar, or an inventory-only pet (like a certain megalomaniac stumpy tail rat) are okay, and why not allow permanent summons (Geneforge anyone?) If you want a carrion crawler pet, how about you summon one, and cast a permanency spell on it?

In Obsidian's defense, I'd say Okku from Mask of the Betrayer was a pretty awesome companion. Other than that, I agree with you.

• Like 1

Cant we get a Hooker as a Companion? Historically speaking lots of armies and adventurerers have brought ladies of ill repute, cartographers, historians, photographers or other "non combat class" personell. Having your own little drummer boy or a big viking announcing your arrival by way of gjallarhorn or accordion would be epic. Or perhaps a slave to carry my crap. Mules are expensive and Ill likely run into someone who doesnt want to die, who really ought to. Standardbearers, Squires for warriors, apprentices for wizards, trainee for rogue, guys to test my food, clown, a dwarf (no not one of the cool beared ones. A "vertically challenged" human whom I can poke fun at. One armed with a wooden sword, sharp wit and halitosis. A flatchested dimwitted female vampire with a sombrero and a monotome visage to do my cooking and rub my feet. Or a

Just not a friggen dog.

Edited by Farbautisonn
  • Like 2

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!

Will this realm even have dogs? Or cats, hamsters, parrots, or horses? Maybe all they have are pack llama's and guinea pigs?

Cant we get a Hooker as a Companion? Historically speaking lots of armies and adventurerers have brought ladies of ill repute, cartographers, historians, photographers or other "non combat class" personell. Having your own little drummer boy or a big viking announcing your arrival by way of gjallarhorn or accordion would be epic. Or perhaps a slave to carry my crap.

Pleasure flesh golems? Shudder.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Will this realm even have dogs? Or cats, hamsters, parrots, or horses? Maybe all they have are pack llama's and guinea pigs?

Your right they may not have any known species we have in our world. One thing they should have plenty of will however be rocks so... Pet rock.

3809779409_9d7a2d37df.jpg

Edited by Dragoonlordz
  • Like 1

Cant we get a Hooker as a Companion? Historically speaking lots of armies and adventurerers have brought ladies of ill repute, cartographers, historians, photographers or other "non combat class" personell. Having your own little drummer boy or a big viking announcing your arrival by way of gjallarhorn or accordion would be epic. Or perhaps a slave to carry my crap.

Pleasure flesh golems? Shudder.

Beats "Pleasure Rust Monsters".

I voted no. The companions I want have a story, character interaction, banter ... in all of those things, a dog is more limited than a humand/dwarf/elf etc. It might be interesting, but it would involve more effort to get it to work ... I'm also biased: I don't like dogs in general and I've had enough dog companions (DAO, Fallout etc).

Now an intelligent panther from another plane ...

That pet rock might be a good mate for Boo.

My pet rock would be a living rock! It can roll around on it's belly, jump as far as my springboard hand will allow and good in combat situations using its flying lunge attack which can be quite devestating plus it like talks with me and stuff but only me because I am 'special' and it only trusts me to hear what it has to say... :bat:

"What do you mean Ms Splurgerock? You don't think people on this forum like you? Don't be so silly that's crazy talk! They love you."

Edited by Dragoonlordz
  • Like 4

Heh, I've seen a couple of episodes from some Let's Plays playing Lands of Lore & another one on Legend of Grimrock, different players but both picked up the rock to do some "throw rock" damage in both games. In the LoG one the guy spoke about "Arr me trusty rock!". Some Let's Plays has the Chair as the most trusty companion pet to have (Amnesia).

I vote for Pet Rock too by the way, as in an actual rock and not Shale.

• Like 1

My current wish list of pets:

1. Cow (more specifically, the soul of a mighty warrior reincarnated in the form of a cow)

2. Rock

3. Potted plant on wheels

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"